“History comes alive”

SS American Victory Mariners' Memorial and Museum Ship
Ranked #37 of 197 things to do in Tampa
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Great way to really see what the merchant marine life was like. Great installations with very few and minor modernity intrusions. Outrageously knowledgeable and super friendly staff.

1  Thank scruffy13

Reviewed May 24, 2011

My boyfriend and I actually found this ship on accident and are so glad that we did. It was a great time. We got to see the bunks, the captains room, the engine room and the kitchen. There were pictures and information to read all around. We got to go to the top of the ship. See the anchors, guns, and where the captain was able to navigate the boat from the outside. It was a self guided tour that we were given a map to upon entry. We liked it most because we were able to go and do just about anything that we wanted without the hassel of having to follow someone around. There were also volunteers around to answer any questions that we may have had. It was behind the Florida Aquarium and we paid nothing to park. For $20 we had a better time than we could have imagined. I believe this museum is for all ages.

2  Thank Victoria2442
Reviewed April 2, 2011

If you are a history buff (or at least loved playing Axis & Allies growing up) the Victory ship is a quick little tour that is perfect if just left the Aquarium and searching for something to do. There aren't a lot of WWII memorabilia left, so we thank the volunteers that have done a great job restoring this ship.

3  Thank TravelingRomantics
Reviewed February 23, 2011

It was interesting to see. It wasn't as tight of quarters as I had imagined. They are in the process of working on the ship to restore it for touring use. There were many rooms that you could look in and you could walk around most areas. I was one of one other tourist on board however so it wasn't too crowded. It was cool to see once, but wasn't the favourite thing of my trip.

1  Thank bszweda
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We just happened to stumble onto this while at the aquarium. I found it to absolutly entralling. The staff were very helpful and knolagable, answering all of our questions. I enjoyed the self guided tour so much better than being led around. You can just take your time to enjoy the ship and its authanticity. It really is a remarkable ship, being fully operational. I cannot wait to go back for one of their cruises. so worth the ten bucks to get in. You should plan to experiance this when you go to the aquarium, 6 bucks for parking for both. Just try to go on a cooler day if you dont like the heat, but hey it is florida expect it to be hot. i found that it added to the experiance, the authenticity.

3  Thank nothingsochildish