“Beware! Do not park behind restaurant! + food review . . .” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Acropolis Greek Taverna

Acropolis Greek Taverna
Ranked #35 of 2,356 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Historic Ybor
Description: Acropolis Greek Taverna serves South and Central Tampa and features a full bar, casual "tavern-style" dining and entertainment. Located in historic Ybor City's entertainment district. This location also hosts entertainment including bouzouki and belly dancing on the weekends.
Sarasota, Florida
“Beware! Do not park behind restaurant! + food review . . .”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The food and restaurant are really a 3.5 to 4 rating - good to very good - (see bottom review), but since our lunch for three was $256, I had to give it a ONE star experience.

We brought our very pregnant daughter to Ybor City while visiting us in Florida. She wanted Greek food and decided to try Acropolis. We were driving west on 7th, turned south (left) on 19th and then turned right into the lot behind the restaurant. Only three or four cars were parked back there in a lot that probably holds 50-60 cars. It was a un-busy Tuesday. We went in and enjoyed our lunch, walked down to a store in the same building, and then went to get in our van. All in all, maybe an hour and a half or so, max. When we went back to the car it was gone. At first we thought it had been stolen. I was ready to call the police when a young man walked by that works in the building and told us our car was probably towed. He said that a guy that owns the lot cruises the lot (in his Cadillac) to look for cars and has them towed. We were shocked! Where does it say to pay to park? What was going on? The young man showed us a small sign under some trees. The sign faces west, so there is no way you would see it when pulling in. He then told us the machine to pay is always broken anyway, and when I looked at it, it was indeed out of order. There is no way a reasonable person would think that you would have to pay to park where we did.

Note: if you enter a block over from Angel Oliva St. there are signs facing the street that say "pay to park" -- not the case when you enter from 19th.

I called the towing service and was told it would be $155 to get the car back, in cash, and I had to be there by 6:00 pm. They were located by the airport on the other side of town. We went into the restaurant and told them what happened. One of the employees said the owner had gotten his car towed and they had just put a sign on the door warning people (not sure if the sign was there when we went in, but it wouldn't have mattered because the nice girl at the door opened it for us, so we would not have seen it anyway). The employee said we could get a cab 3 or 4 blocks down. In retrospect, he probably should have offered to call a cab for us. Especially with our overheated 8 month pregnant daughter standing there! Oh well, he was very nice and sympathetic.

We found a cab four blocks down, got cash, paid the driver $40, dealt with the extremely rude towing company and we were on our way. Lunch with tip $61 + parking $155 + cab ride $40 = $256 lunch. Sigh.

Now for the food: The stuffed mushroom appetizer is fantastic. The side greek salads were also very, very good. That is what I would get next time (if I ever step foot in Ybor City again, which my wife says is doubtful) for my meal -- mushrooms and the salad. My vegetable maroupsa (?spelling?) was pretty good but needed more flavor. That may be my ignorance in the dish, but too bland for my taste. My wife's gyro was good, my daughter's veggie wrap was good but she didn't like the sauce. My Mythos beer was very cold and good!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank J P

• Polish first
Windermere, Florida
“Thumbs up for the Chicken Rhodes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stopped here for lunch while in Ybor city. Decor was nice enough and the service was prompt and friendly. Two of us ordered the Chicken Rhodes, while one ordered a Greek salad. I must say the Salad was a disappointment. The lettuce was very bitter, and the Avocado was hard as a brick. The waitress inquired as to why it wasn't being eaten, and promptly and very apologetically brought out some Avocado that was ripe. Kudos to the waitress for noticing, but a thump on the head to the cook/chef who most certainly knew it should not have been served.

On the other hand, the Chicken Rhodes was divine! Though we did not care for the side of sautéed zucchini and yellow squash, that is just a personal preference. If you feel the same, you might ask for extra rice instead. In the end it didn't matter, the portion was so large that even though we did not eat the veggies, we were still too stuffed for dessert.....which was too bad, as there were some items in the dessert case we would have loved to try!!

If we ever find ourselves in the area again we would definately return for the Chicken Rhodes... and hopefully a little dessert!

chester
“Fun Night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Decided to enter this restaurant as it was the busiest on the street which is usually a good sign. we were not disappointed.. a super bouzuki player was playing a selection of Greek tunes. Our server Christian was really helpful without being overbearing - he was just right..He pointed out the 2 for 1 sangria which was lovely.. I had a chicken dish which was lovely but a huge portion.My husband had moussaka which was just OK -the only downside to the evening..The atmosphere was great would go again if in the area

“Greek”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

My first experience at Acropolis and it was ok. Service was slow but the food was good. The food was good but not sure it was worth the price. I had Greek in Tarpon Springs recently and I'm not sure this is in the same league. I would be willing to try again however.

Visited June 2013
Clearwater, Florida
“like it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

The food is good, not great. We got charged for extra pita bread and $2,00 for splitting a sandwich and we did not asked for an extra plate! I call it greed! The greek salad was very good and fresh with big piece of feta cheese. The gyro on the other hand was nothing special and very salty. I will try a different location, may be it will be better. I must admit, service was very good.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to Acropolis Greek Taverna? Share your experiences!