Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #38 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 22, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights on our 5 year anniversary. Its true that you get what you pay for at this hotel.

The suites are spacious and have a great views.
Valet parking only which is $20.00 plus tax each night, but worth the cost and safety of your vehicle.
The have a great manager special from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM free draft beers and mixed drinks. Our bartender Ray was great and even made us a special anniversary shot on the house!
They also have a hot and cold breakfast served every morning.
The food was great made to order eggs and so many things to chose from.

The front desk staff was wonderful. As soon as we checked in we noticed how good our stay would be. Chip at the front desk welcomed us and upgraded our room because of our anniversary without us even asking for it. Then later on that night we received a bottle of champagne and strawberries on the house. Wow! Now I was impressed and amazed at the hotel staff for this. Never have I had such a great time in a hotel.

If you visit Tampa, this is the perfect location for downtown and Channelside. Only a 25 minute ride to St. Petersburg. Busch Garden is less the 15 minutes away too.

We had a room on the 20th floor and we loved it. It was quiet and had a fantastic view of downtown Tampa at night.

I would recommend and will return to this hotel in the near future again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank levrana
Write a ReviewReviews (2,108)

Reviewed December 22, 2008

We stayed here for a week in September, and we cant fault it. Its true that you get what you pay for and although not overly pricey we blew the budget a little, and it was worth every penny.

The suites are spacious and clean, and you really feel like you're being spoilt.

The staff were attentive, without being in your face, and Trolleys bar was great for snacks and beer.

If you visit Tampa, this is the perfect location for downtown and channelside.

We had a room on the 19th floor, and after the initial shock of the height, we loved it. It was quiet and had a fantastic view of downtown Tampa at night.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I stayed at this facility with my daughter who was attending a conference at the Convention Center. The location was wonderful, actually attacted to the Convention Center by a 2nd floor skywalk. The room was clean and comfortable. We had a view of Harbour Island from our room. The pool was relaxing and sunny with plenty of chairs and towels. The staff was extremely efficient and helpful. The front desk staff answered questions and gave advise about local attractions. I especially enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and the happy hour in the lobby each evening. There was transportation conveniently available by taxi, trolley or shuttle (not included). There was a restaurant in the hotel but I didn't eat there but I did visit the Starbucks on the first floor. I didn't have a car but noted that the hotel did charge a $20/day parking fee for those who needed it. I noticed the valets were readily available for parking and friendly. Over all, I would highly recommend this hotel if you need to stay in the downtown Tampa area.

Reviewed October 25, 2008

I was attending a convention for 5 days (Oct. 19 to 24) while my wife enjoyed some rest and relaxation. 2 years ago we stayed at the Hilton St. Petersburg and the difference was amazing.

All the staff we met at the Embassy were extremely friendly and approachable. The hotel was slightly more expensive than nearby hotels but the suites, complimentary breakfast and 2 hour complimentary drink (happy hour), plus the cheaper internet service actually made it the better deal and talking to others at the convention that stayed nearby, it actually cost us less overall.

The hotel is connected to the Tampa Convention Center with a skywalk, there is a trolley that runs all day to Ybor City and past the aquarium & Channelside Bay Plaza. The area felt very safe during the day & at night and my wife walked alone for miles during the day and never felt uncomfortable.

I mentioned at the beginning there was a difference between the Hilton St. Petersburg and the Embassy Suites Tampa downtown. Both hotels had great accomodations, the difference was the staff at the hotel and in the area. I couldn't believe that two areas so close together could be so different.

The one issue with the area was the lack of choices for casual cheaper dining for the budget minded traveller.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the area.

Reviewed October 24, 2008

I stayed at the Embassy Suites 3 nights while in Tampa for a convention. The hotel really is right across the street from the convention center - there is a sky bridge on the 2nd floor connecting the two.

The front desk was wonderful and let me check in early. My room was on the 17th floor, and I could not hear any music or outside sounds from the bedroom area at night.

The room was beautiful with modern appointments (such as a leather coffee table) in the living area. The bed was probably the most comfortable I have slept in (and I travel a lot for work). There is a $9.95 charge for 24 hour high-speed internet access from the room. Since I was on business travel, I didn't mind paying to have the access from my room, but apparently the lobby area is wireless.

I LOVED the pool area. It is on the third floor and it is basically a lap pool. There are jacuzzi areas built into the pool on both ends. As a business traveler, I adored the fact that this set up is not particularly kid-friendly, so there weren't kids all over the place during the few times I could use the pool. It might be different on the weekends. The pool is built so that it faces south and gets sun all day - a nice touch. There were plenty of towels and lounge chairs at the pool, and Sirius Margaritaville station playing lowly in the background, just enough to provide ambiance.

The workout room is adjacent to the pool area. All of the equipment (3 treadmills, 2 elipticals, and 1 recliner bike) were in good working order. There were plenty of towels stocked, sanitizing wipes, and the water cooler had cups. There were plenty of free weights. For such a big hotel, though, I would have thought there would be more equipment. However, I never had to wait to use a machine, so I guess it was sufficient.

The breakfast was the best of any Embassy Suite that I have stayed at. They had a make your own waffle station, in addition to the omlette station. They also had plenty of hot foods served buffet style (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, pancakes), so you could grab something quickly if you were in a hurry.

The evening happy hour was outstanding. I only went once, but got a very nice glass of white wine that was easily a 12 ounce pour. Do remember to tip the bartenders, who are very friendly, even though they are serving a large crowd.

The restaurant (Trolleys) was pricey (like most hotels), but the food was OK. I wish that there were more restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel/convention center. Channelside has a lot of restaurants, but they're all chain type restaurants and not fine dining. Jacksons is right across the small bridge, and has wonderful waterfront dining. It is pricey, but the service was very good. The food was good to very good (the grouper topped with crab is to die for).

The hotel is also a minute walk to the St. Pete's Times Forum (where the Tampa Bay Lightning play). I went to a hockey game Tuesday evening. It was a blast - there is a huge party in the plaza in front of the arena where they sell beer, wine, and mixed drinks (something unheard of in Buffalo). I was easily able to buy a center ice ticket.

When I retrieved my car from valet parking there was hardly any wait at all. The attendant provided me with excellent directions back to the airport.

The elevators can be slow during peak periods due to heavy volume, but this is not unusual for any big hotel.

I am already planning to visit Tampa next summer with my husband and stay at the Embassy Suites.

Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed at this hotel while visiting the tampa downtown convention center. It was very nice. The front desk staff was very friendly. The room was decorated very well and the room was very clean. The beds were comfortable. We stayed one night (it was Friday) and we heard music all night from what I could tell was from a nearby hotel. It was hard to sleep. I'm not sure if the music was due to a special event because of the boat show at the convention center. We chose this hotel because it is connected to the convention center by a skybridge but it is also very easy to cross the street as well. I would stay here again in a heartbeat if I had to visit downtown Tampa again. Oh..The valet parking was great, I couldn't imagine looking for a place to park in downtown. The valets at the front of the hotel were very nice and greeted you warmly. In the parking garge where you pick your car up, the valets seemed to be a little annoyed by you wanting to get your car and didn't greet you or really even say anything to you. Maybe a hi or good morning would have been nice or a may I see your ticket would have been ok too. Overall a really great experience. The tampa boat show was really awesome too.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Attractive facilities, great views! The staff was extremely nice , very polite and very well organized. The breakfast had a nice variety - something for everyone. It was a great location for conferences at the St. Pete Times Forum. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. We were glad there was valet parking. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: August 2008