Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #38 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed at this hotel while visiting the tampa downtown convention center. It was very nice. The front desk staff was very friendly. The room was decorated very well and the room was very clean. The beds were comfortable. We stayed one night (it was Friday) and we heard music all night from what I could tell was from a nearby hotel. It was hard to sleep. I'm not sure if the music was due to a special event because of the boat show at the convention center. We chose this hotel because it is connected to the convention center by a skybridge but it is also very easy to cross the street as well. I would stay here again in a heartbeat if I had to visit downtown Tampa again. Oh..The valet parking was great, I couldn't imagine looking for a place to park in downtown. The valets at the front of the hotel were very nice and greeted you warmly. In the parking garge where you pick your car up, the valets seemed to be a little annoyed by you wanting to get your car and didn't greet you or really even say anything to you. Maybe a hi or good morning would have been nice or a may I see your ticket would have been ok too. Overall a really great experience. The tampa boat show was really awesome too.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,059)

Reviewed August 23, 2008

Attractive facilities, great views! The staff was extremely nice , very polite and very well organized. The breakfast had a nice variety - something for everyone. It was a great location for conferences at the St. Pete Times Forum. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. We were glad there was valet parking. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 14, 2008

We thought our suite was well appointed, roomy, beds were terrific with great pillows. Spacious. Breakfast Buffet was delicious and free to customers. Only downfall was slow elevators. Maids pleasant, enjoyed having microwave and refrigerator.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Every room in this hotel is a suite-room with two TVs, one or two beds in the bedroom (depending on whether you want a king bed, or two queens) and a pull-out couch in the suite room. There is a door between the two rooms that shuts close for privacy. The bathroom is well-stocked, and any forgotten toiletries can be ordered up complimentary from the main desk. The beds and pillows are very comfortable and soft, although I prefer a slightly firmer bed and chose to sleep on the pull-out couch instead.

The free buffet-style breakfast every morning is fantastic. Cooked to order omelets are a nice touch, but the wait can get long at times. There are usually two chefs making 4 omelets each at any given point in time, but towards the end of the breakfast period, only 1 chef is available.

The happy hour (free drinks) from 5:30pm to 7:30pm becomes quite loud and noisy in the evening. The piano on the 2nd floor is obnoxiously loud, but if you retreat into the bedroom and close the door, the loud just about disappears.

Room service is a bit on the expensive side by the time you add the gratuity, taxes and delivery fees. But it isn't absolutely prohibitive. Channelside with a variety of restaurants and bars is within 10 mins walking distance away.

The only con to staying at this hotel is the steep rate for overnight parking. With tax it comes to $21.80 per day, and the charge adds up quick based on how many days you stay at the hotel.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Embassy Suites. I was at the hotel to attend an event at the Convention Center next door, so the convenient walkway between the hotel and the convention center was very much appreciated! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who needs to be in or near downtown Tampa.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank P S
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We stayed at this property for a 20 year reunion. Location was great! Plenty in the immediate vicinity to keep us busy! Suite was spacious, clean and very quiet! I didn't hear any neighbor noise or street noise, which is unusual but welcomed! Breakfast had a super selection, something for everyone. We did have to search for a table for a little while, as it was a bit crowded. Didn't partake in the managers reception as the line was really long for the drinks and the food was just tortilla chips, pretzels and salsa. The service at this hotel was excellent! I had several interactions with the staff, and each time they were excellent to me!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2008

My parents, husband and kids got a couple rooms here for Thanksgiving last year. We were visiting relatives in Tampa, and got a great rate - $99. The hotel was new, clean and nice. We enjoyed the free drinks each night and found the hotel very comfortable. Also enjoyed Starbucks. Navigating around the hotel was tough due to construction, but great location - near some nice restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Evidently it is common practice for downtown Tampa Hotels to overbook and "walk" customers with out notice. I had a confirmed reservation for July 16, 2008. I planned to stay downtown for an event at the St. Pete Times Forum. Instead I got to stay at the Double Tree by the airport. I arrived at the Embassy Suites downtown between the 3PM check in and the 6 PM cut off time and was told that the hotel was overbooked but they had a room for me at another hotel. I had to negotiate for transportation. I am a Hilton Honors member but this made no difference. I don't understand how Hilton can flood my e-mail with marketing offers but not manage to notify me that they sold my room out from under me. After talking to several people who were walked that same night by downtown hotels it is apparant that this is common practice at most downtown Tampa Hotels.

I am intersted in joining a class action suit to stop this systemic practice.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rtodds
Travelers also viewed these Tampa hotels
Hilton Tampa Downtown
#15 of 164 in Tampa
Le Meridien Tampa
#18 of 164 in Tampa
Historic Ybor
Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!