“very recommendadble hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
“very recommendadble hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

If you look for a nice place to stay downtown of Tampa, especially for a conference or convention, look no further. The hotel is conveniently located near the Tampa Convention Center and is directly connecting with it thru an upper bridge. Be careful when it's raining, some bright brain found it good to use some slippery paint coating on that bridge. The rooms are nice and clean. Breakfast is everything you expect from a hotel of this class, and for a late evening supper, there is the excellent Trolleys restaurant inside the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa-Downtown for your recent visit. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel as well as the location and I appreciate you taking the time to recommend your experience on TripAdvisor for these reasons. I am happy you had a chance to visit Trolley's. We look forward to welcoming your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

this is my second stay at this property, and service was excellent once again. booked 2 rooms for 3 nights, after the disaster of the holiday in in Kissimee, i called them and inquired if i could get an extra night at the same rate i had booked the 3 others, no problems there.
when we checked in we had rooms on the 13th floor with complimentary internet.
rooms are nice , spacious, it's a suite so you can hold a meeting to recap the day if needed.
Breakfast is also complimentary, valet service is excellent.
all in all, top notch service

Room Tip: try the pool on the third floor at night, very relaxing.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank malkosas
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Malkosas,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay and for recommending your experience on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations on your next visit.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Date of Stay-October 26 2013
Check in was a disappointment! They had HHonors sign at the middle check-in line, but when I asked, they said that there was no special line for HHonors members so we had to go to the back of the line with the “non-status” people and WAIT. The guy with the goatee who was supposedly in charge acted like this was the norm! The other gentleman and a lady who checked us in did give us a room on the 19th floor as we had about one year prior even though no one acknowledged our status in words. They also gave us an express pass for happy hour and breakfast in case there were lines. As we walked from the check-in area to the elevator, one of the bellman walked up to us and offered us free parking, but we had parked at the University of Tampa for free because of our connection with the university and could not take advantage of his offer (he probably wanted a tip anyway). Later, I remembered that when we stayed there one year prior, I had called a few days in advance and asked if they had free or discounted parking for Gold/Diamond members and was told no because the parking was separate and handled by a contracted company so no discounts were possible, but somehow, now they were going to comp our parking because of the check in issue? This seemed to be a contradiction so was there a policy change? When we arrived at the room, our water was there. I noticed two notepads but no pens. Bathroom supplies were as expected. About 90 minutes later, a friendly guy showed up with a bottle of California red wine, some cheese, and fruits in a basket. I must have made an impression when I commented loudly about their lack of a priority line and how I would make a note of that in my TripAdvisor review!
Shower water not very hot-just lukewarm. Good towels. Bed comfortable with nice duvet. View was nice also from room. 2 televisions.
Breakfast area a disaster-need more omelet stations (size of this ES is larger than most at 20 floors with over 350 rooms but breakfast area the same size at those 3/4 the hotel size). We had been told that we could use the restaurant with our express pass if it was too crowded, which it was, but the pass was only for seating. One still had to wait for eggs with those who were standing in one of the two very long lines for omelets or eggs cooked to order. The bacon in the self serve area was too crispy (hard, in other words). The sausages were good. When I came back to my table after standing in the omelet line for 15 minutes, my silverware and napkin were gone. I had set them to the side, but my friend said they just took everything without asking! When I went back to get new ones, there were no napkins by the silverware, but I did find some in the crowded little room where the English muffins were. The coffee pot was disassembled when I went back for seconds so I never got a 2nd cup. To sum up, they need more cooks, more organization, and to hire someone who knows about queuing theory. They also need someone with some queuing theory knowledge at the check-in area as well.
Express pass good to get drinks in glasses from restaurant/bar because they only had plastic cups after 30 minutes of so into the 2 hour reception so we got refills and poured them in glasses to drink. There were lots of kids (anyone under 35 I call a kid) getting drunk before heading out to strip clubs and/or bachelor parties, but they were all well behaved and fun to watch and reminisce about how it used to be back in the day! The 20-30 age males are much more touchy and feely than we were 25 years ago.
After the manager’s reception, we returned to our room for a few minutes and then went down to Trolleys for dinner since there was a sign that we would get a 1500 HHonors bonus points for spending $35 or more in the restaurant. The service was very slow, but the food was actually decent except I didn’t receive any pickles with my burger as I requested since I had said no to the lettuce and tomatoes. There was only one main waitress, but she had lots of help with bringing the drinks and food. There was a beauty convention in town, although you wouldn’t know it by those in attendance, because there were several big haired, over made up women and their families everywhere. I hope they use what they learn on themselves, especially the one I saw with blue hair and matching toenails!
Checking out was the best part. The bill was accurate, but I wondered why one wasn’t put under the door as most everywhere else. Unless the price is just too good to resist, I think this will be our last time at this Embassy Suites. There are just too many rooms (and the people per room ratio is also very high on the weekends due to sports fans, cruise families, stag party guests, etc.-some rooms probably have more than the maximum occupancy rate) for the common areas when compared to other Embassy Suites. It may be different during the week with business travelers who are only 1 or 2 per room. They do at least offer complimentary mixed drinks as well and beer and wine for the Manager’s Reception, even though it is basic well drinks, inexpensive California wine, and a common domestic beer (Coors Light for the light beer).
I will probably stay at the new to the family Hilton about a ½ mile north in the future. Their rates are usually better, but I like the rooms at the Embassy Suites better. I have been able to get a full breakfast there because of my status plus complimentary water. It’s just so much closer to UT, which is usually why I am staying downtown, and it’s not like a frat house on the weekends!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear DisneyParis,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. It is of course with great concern that I have learned that we did not meet your expectations on more than one occasion during your recent stay.
Should your travels bring you back, I look forward to welcoming you back.
Lutz, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were having our Employee Party and decided to stay at the hotel. It was wonderful!! Had a great time. pool was nice and relaxing in the sun. Evening worked out perfect. Really a nice place. We will definitely stay again!

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Carol R,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown on TripAdvisor and for choosing to spend your time with us. I am very happy to read you enjoyed the service you received, our facilities.

I do hope you will be returning to visit us again; we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Minnetrista, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed here last week due a conference held at the Convention Center. The access to the convention center was second to none! There is a walkway that goes over the road right on the 2nd floor so you don't have to deal with traffic to get to meetings. The elevators were a little slow, but I was on the 15th floor so I suppose it was to be expected. My only complaint is that they didn't have a spa onsite but I just walked across the trolley tracks to the Marriott and got an appointment there.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Steph M,
Winter Haven, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here for the night to visit friends that live in Tampa. The location is great, next to the Convention Center and Tampa Bay Forum. The hotel is very nice and clean. The suites were large and accommodating. Our view of the city and bay was beautiful. We visited the evening reception which was a nice touch to our visit. The Trolley Pub's food was incredible and the servers were very nice. The only problem I have with the hotel is that at 11:30AM (12:00 check out) there were 6 people in line to check out and only one person working the desk. We will stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bigmomma61,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I am very pleased to read that your expectations were exceeded and to learn that our staff treated you well and you were happy with your accommodations.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to visit us again in the near future.
boston, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

very good hotel with a good breakfast thrown in rooms needed up date but they were clean and it was a great location to stay and go to the hockey game. pool is tiny but for the money would recommend this hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends