“Good hotel, great staff, no free internet in room”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #41 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Good hotel, great staff, no free internet in room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I chose this hotel based on other reviews and was not disappointed. The staff was great, exceptionally friendly and the room was comfortable, spacious and clean. There is free breakfast on the main floor every morning, lots of choices of hot foods, breads, fruits and cereals. No complaints there. The pool is small (only three to four feet deep) and not really for swimming, just for cooling off. On the third floor. You can often get great rates at the Embassy (less than $100) and it is conveniently located in downtown. There is a street car that takes you around the downtown and Ybor City from noon on most days (check the schedule), and Channelside is within walking distance as well as a supermarket and a drug store.

One complaint: some of the ads for this hotel will imply that there is "free internet in room." This is not completely true -- it costs $14.95 per device for 24 hours. Other reviews warned me of this slight misrepresentation so I wasn't surprised when the staff avoided the subject (I felt for the woman who checked me in, she must have to hear about this all the time). However, one woman gave me a promo code that enabled me to go on for free for an hour at a time which was fine (one person knew nothing about this at all, the other was very helpful but did not volunteer this information until I asked a couple of times). In spite of this, I would recommend this hotel since it is the best quality you will get at these rates.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JoeH943
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear JoeH943,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I am very pleased to read that your expectations were exceeded and to learn that our staff treated you well and you were happy with your accommodations. I would also like to note that in response to guest feedback we have lowered the price of our internet wifi since your visit.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to visit us again in the near future.

Jason Bowers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tallahassee, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Check in and out was a hassle. You are required to present a ticket for your free breakfast; no other Embassy Suites I stay at requires this, sometimes you may have to show your room card, but never a separate ticket. Rooms were nice and clean, but housekeeping didn't restock coffee. Previous stays several years ago went much smoother then this visit. I definitely won’t be back to this particular hotel despite its convenient location.

Dear Cherie H,
Thank you for your feedback. We try to make things as convenient and smooth as possible during our dining service hours. We're sorry that our procedures did not meet your needs and are reevaluating our processes to ensure they're as efficient as possible. We hope that you'll consider giving us another chance, should you return to our area.

Kind regards,
Greenville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel has a great location and friendly staff all around the hotel. Clean and inviting. It is always my first choice when coming to Tampa. I recommend it to anyone coming to Tampa. Who could ask for more?

Dear Paula B,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay and for recommending your experience on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations on your next visit.
Tampa, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

You can only valet your car here and it is $22/Day - very expensive in my book!! Also, the bathroom left much to be desired... the water temperature in the shower was horrible - either freezing cold or boiling hot and the toilet did not flush properly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Joanna D,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comments. I was of course concerned to learn of the areas which left you to feel disappointed.

Our team at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown makes every effort to deliver upon the high standards we have set ourselves; we strive to ensure our guests recognize the services and facilities we provide as offering a high level of value and a warmly memorable experience. I do hope you will allow us the occasion to restore your confidence in our hotel.
Fuquay Varina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

My Stay at the Embassy Suites in down town tampa was great! The staff went absolutely out their way to ensure I was accommodated entirely. The breakfast was also outstanding and Kudo's to the chef behind the scenes.

Dear Christopher W,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the Chef exceeded your expectation. I will be sure to share your comments with him. I hope you will return should your travels bring you back this way.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Free daily breakfast was good. Staff is courteous and friendly. I thought the maid service was excellent and our bed was made everyday and the room smelled great when we returned. Bathroom is a tad tiny. Small but nice pool area. Easily accessible small Precor workout area, I used the machines everyday. Gym cleaning wipes, face towels, and cold water a plus! Wifi is not free unless you are a member but you can use computers in lobby for free. Parking was $22 per day. Stayed on 20th floor, very quiet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear RandRloveParis-

Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay and for recommending your experience on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to the opportunity to welcome your return in the near future.
Silver Spring, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I visited for the weekend of September 6-8, 2013. We were provided a beautiful room on the top floor of the hotel, along with strawberries and champagne to celebrate our anniversary. We had stopped by the front desk several times to ask for advice/information on boat tours and each time were provided excellent tips and suggestions. The room was beautiful, the view from our balcony spectacular, and everything was VERY clean. The convention center was very close and they happened to have a boat show there that weekend.

Breakfast was great - as with all Embassy Suites. The Managers Reception was nice, but not the reason we stayed here. We will be back though thanks to the great staff and management of the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a balcony, if possible!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear davegolden99-

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review of your recent stay at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown. I sincerely appreciate your very kind appraisal of our team, facilities, and services; I know our team members will be equally pleased to learn of your commending remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming your return in the near future.