“Great location, excellent rooms, ok value”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #40 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
jacksonville, fl
“Great location, excellent rooms, ok value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stay in Tampa quite a bit. This is an excellent hotel for either extended business stays or for families on vacation. Every room is a suite, lots and lots of space. The living room is separated by a door - but each has a tv - the couch in the living room folds out into a bed - perfect if you are traveling with one or two kids.

Nice table work space if you there on business and don't want to feel like you are in a cell.

The free breakfast is incredible - an omelet station, pretty much anything you would like for a breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown! So glad you enjoyed the complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast available at all Embassy Suites. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very sad indeed. The front desk agents have to be the worst I've ever encountered. So, so, unfriendly, with zero personality with one exception - Jared. Thank you Jared!!!
The breakfast host the morning of 11/07/2012 was very pleasant. I think her name was Saada.
Such a nice hotel with clean, beautiful rooms and great location. I thank God that the first people I met coming into the hotel were the valet staff and not the front desk staff.
Their shuttle, even within downtown is not free.
Parking, $13/day.
If service does not bother you, this is a very well located and beautiful hotel. Even has a Starbucks on premises and a restaurant with the best flank sliders :)

Room Tip: Nice restaurant at hotel. Avoid the front desk as much as possible so that you can enjoy your stay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable level of customer service with us. We have addressed your dissatisfaction with our staff. We will also be sure to thank the accommodating staff members you mention. We appreciate you alerting us your concerns and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area and experience the excellent level of hospitality that the Embassy Suites brand is known for.

Warm regards,
Jason Bowers
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Dates of Stay: 19-21 October 2012 (2 nights)
We were in town to attend homecoming at University of Tampa and decided to give the Embassy Suites a try. I originally booked a best available rate about 2 months in advance for $179 a night. About a week before, I checked the rate again, and it was now $139 so I rebooked and canceled the original. A few days before arrival, I noticed a prepaid rate for the same type of room for $99. Since it was so close and I was almost positive that I would be going to Tampa, I booked this rate, which I noticed was not available the next day so I might have received the only reservation available at that rate. Before I left Orlando, I called to ask some questions and had to wait 30 or so rings for someone to answer and put me on hold. That should have told me something about the customer service. They told me that UT was 3-4 miles away when I asked about a shuttle, but I knew it was much closer. Since parking was $20/night, we arranged to park on campus for free and walk back and forth the ½ mile of so. There was no special line for Hilton Honors (I am Gold) at check-in or it was unmanned (I don’t remember exactly, but I do remember that we had to wait a few minutes). We were upgraded to a very nice suite on the 19th floor (out of 20 floors in total). I was a little uncomfortable with the open atrium, which made me dizzy. I don’t handle open heights very well although I have no trouble if there is a window or in the elevator. There was noise from some floor work above us, but that was only when we first arrived; otherwise, it was quiet most of the time, and no noise could be heard in bedroom from outside or from the atrium. The first room had a couch, table, and chairs plus a large flat screen TV. Internet worked fine and was free because of my status. I didn’t try in bedroom as some have complained that it doesn’t work well there. The corridor between the living room area and the bedroom had a fridge and more plus a safe in the closet. There were no minibar items except two large bottles of water on the counter. The bathroom was to the right and had a nice tub/shower combo plus toilet and sink. Water pressure and temperature were good plus many nice amenities were provided. The bedroom had another TV plus a large, comfortable bed. The view was towards downtown and was very nice. We could see miles away. Breakfast each day was an adventure. Both were crowded (the second day a little more than the first), but we found a table each day. They had the usual scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and potatoes plus juices, coffee, tea, and a bread station. My main complaint was the set up of the omelet station. There were two stations, but there was no organization for the line(s). The second morning, the station for which I was in line just suddenly closed. The female chef just shut the partition (she must have needed a cigarette or something). I had to get in the end of the other line and start over. The other guy was not happy and was commenting on his co-worker’s training and behavior. She reopened the line soon after, but it was too late for me since others lined up before I could move back. He was under pressure and made my omelet with real eggs as opposed to egg whites as I ordered. He apologized and made me a good one. The first morning, I had two omelets: one from each station, and both were good. My complaint that morning was the lack of knives, but they were restocked once I found someone to tell. The manager’s happy hour was not that exciting. Cheap beer and very few snacks was the offer. It’s worth the price! The second day there were many people watching college football, but this “happy hour” has much room for improvement. Hotel was safe. It was quiet and not very crowded the first night-more in town for professional football game the second night. Half the people at breakfast were wearing New Orleans Saints’ jerseys. A major complaint I had is no shuttle service. The trolley to Ybor City stops at the hotel, and I guess they consider this their shuttle service, but it’s not cheap! They need a shuttle like most hotels of the caliber to take people to the cruise terminals, local restaurants and nearby attractions, etc. Most of the staff was friendly, but the breakfast staff needs more customer service training. Housekeeping was great, and cleaned room very well the one time that it was due. I would stay here again if I could get a decent rate (would have to be under $200). That’s the max I would pay to stay there. Also, if you book here and have a cancelable rate, check again 7 to 10 days out and also a few days prior to see if rates are lower. There’s also a very good restaurant a few blocks north called L’Eden, but make reservations.
In summary, Tampa only has a few hotels downtown. There are others nearer Westshore, Busch Gardens, Ybor City, the casino, etc. so not many options in the center of town. Parking is expensive (was $30 a day earlier in the summer, I think), no shuttle service so must cab, walk, or pay for expensive trolley ride to go anywhere without a car, and breakfast/happy hour have staff training issues plus very limited snacks and drink choices at happy hour. They are both quoted as “free”, but the charge is built in to the overall room charge since nothing is free. There is a Marriott next door. I’m not sure what it has to offer, but its pool looks much bigger and nicer and can be seen from the elevator at the Embassy Suites.

Room Tip: Get a high floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your detailed review will help us make the necessary service improvements as well as reevaluate some of our offerings. I apologize for the service issue at the omelet station and your disappointment with the transportation options. We hope that you choose to stay with us again when you’re in town. We would love to see you.

Warm regards,
Jason Bowers
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husban and i stayed here a few weekends ago to visit family. and this is an outstnading hotel. the happy hour was awsome there is a starbucks right in the hotel. the pool is on the 3rd floor and its kinda small, but if your right just trying to get some sunt it is perfect! PERFECT location is great 15 min car ride will get you were ever you wanna go. i would stay here again hands down.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you will return should your travels bring you back this way.
Havre de Grace, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Last week I visited the Tampa Convention Center area and stayed at the Embassy suites. The hotel was excellent in every way--beautiful, clean, wonderful amenities and very attentive staff! The hotel was right across from the Convention Center where I attended a conference. The area was very new and sunny right on the water. I felt very safe and really enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown Convention Center. We hope that if your travels bring you back to Tampa that you choose to stay with us again.
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Would definitely stay here again - great location, beautiful hotel, Very clean. Loved the suites - very nice! Loved having Starbucks at the hotel. Hotel Staff was nice but valet was more helpful with directions.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review of the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown Convention Center. We appreciate your kind words and will pass them along to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Lund, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

A nice hotel, situated very conveniently directly opposite the Tampa Convention Center (with a bridge directly connecting both facilities). Well-equipped, functional rooms, lots of space, good bathrooms, cozy beds, two flatscreens. The only thing I don't understand: As an Embassy suites hotel, all rooms consist of both a bedroom and a separate working/living room, which by itself is very nice, but only the bedroom has an outside window with excellent view over the Tampa bay, while the working/living room only has a window towards the hotel floor. I don't need the fascinating view while sleeping, but I would have appreciated it while working at the desk...
Another minus is the large fee for internet in the room.
The breakfast however is outstanding (large variety, excellent quality, live-cooking), and it is included in the rate!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown! So glad you enjoyed your spacious suite and the complimentary “free, cooked-to-order breakfast”, available at all Embassy Suites. We look forward to seeing you again soon!