Upon first arriving at the Holiday Inn Express we noticed that it wasn't in exactly the "best part" of Tampa along Dale Mabry Blvd. It is just up from the football stadium, and from the Yankees Spring Training home/stadium; which makes it a convenient place to stay.
The nice thing was that it did have a shuttle that would take you around to anywhere within a few mile radius. They took us to the Hooters about a mile away on Hillsborough Avenue where we enjoyed the first half of the Green Bay Packer game on Sunday, our arrival day.
Our room was upgraded to a suite, but one could see some imperfections they were trying to cover up. The room was actually a handicapped room and was very large. It was fitted with a refrigerator which was nice, but was used to cover up two roughed in pipes for faucets either as an afterthought or for the purposes of putting a sink in and they ran out of $$.
Heating and cooling were comfortable and the room was very quiet. Again, although this Holiday Inn Express has been upgraded, it doesn't look like its been inspected for a while.
We decided to also try the pool and hot tub outside that late afternoon. The pool was very nice and accommodating. The hot tub unfortunately would run, but would not heat up which was too bad. I know they are difficult to maintain, but if they aren't going to work, please don't have them on property. When we asked the desk clerk about this she said she would call maintenance, but maintenance never came and we got no reply or satisfaction to getting the hot tub working. Disappointing for a Holiday Inn Express.
Breakfast was good with eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy. Not the usual waffle or pancake maker that we're accustomed to seeing. My wife noticed that there were only cinnamon and raisin bagels, none were plain. When you don't like raisins, this can be a big deal. :-) Of course there was the healthy supply of their fabulous cinnamon rolls. Did I just use healthy in the same sentence with those rolls? :-) Probably about 400 calories each!! But they are delicious.
The overriding feeling I got was that this Holiday Inn Express, (neighbors with the adjacent Comfort Inn), was living down to the Comfort Inn standards. It just appeared that it was missing those little comforts and niceties that Holiday Inn Express has become known for and is becoming famous for. All in all a satisfying stay, but we know that it could have been better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay SMART at the Tampa Stadium Hotel Airport area. We are the closest Tampa hotel to Raymond James Stadium, home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Legends Field, the spring training site of the New York Yankees. Our hotel is close to Tampa International Airport (TPA) and Westshore business district. Downtown Tampa, Port of Tampa, the Convention Center and St. Pete Times Forum are just a 5 minute drive. Tampa Stadium Hotel is also close to all attractions such as Ybor City, Busch Gardens, Tampa Aquarium and MOSI. We offer free shuttle service within 3 miles, between the hours of 6:30 am and 10 pm. The Tampa Stadium Area hotel is a non-smoking facility featuring our free continental breakfast, high speed internet access and business center. Our Tampa hotel also offers 7,000 square feet of meeting space and full-service catering facilities and our peaceful setting on our own private lake is the perfect location for exchanging your wedding vows. Unwind at the end of your busy day at our outdoor heated pool and spa or in our state-of-the-art fitness center. Corporations located nearby the hotel include Hertz, St. Joseph's Hospital, General Motors, Lear Corporation, General Electric and FEDEX Corporation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Odigeo, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Tampa Stadium Airport Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport
- Holiday Inn Express Tampa
- Holiday Inn Tampa
- Tampa Holiday Inn