“Photo-History Tour”
Review of PicTours' Tampa Photo Tours - CLOSED

PicTours' Tampa Photo Tours
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Part photography instruction, part walking tour, part history lesson, PicTours is a unique experience you will not soon forget. Our two hour photo tours will show you Downtown Tampa from a perspective you've never seen. Whether you're a life long Tampanian or you're just in town for the weekend, this is the best way to see Tampa Bay and show off your awesome photos with your friends.
Reviewed December 13, 2013

The city of Tampa is full of hidden gems! PicTours is more than just a visual tour, it is a photographic discovery of Tampa's rich history. At the helm of our discovery was our tour guide, Ben. Ben gave us fascinating information of Tampa's historical sites; and he also gave keen insight on how to artistically capture these images on camera. It didn't matter whether we were beginner or advanced photographers, Ben was helpful to show us how to capture the best picture. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in Tampa's rich history, and to those with interests in photography! I had a great time!

2  Thank Mark J

Reviewed December 9, 2013

History: I have lived 40 minutes north of downtown tampa for for over seven years, yet had only been "in town" a handful of times. Our tour guide, Ben, had interesting tidbits of information about all of the spots on our tour, and he was SUPER polite and kind. I now have a much better understanding of the area both in layout (so I can get around on my own without Siri) and on the history behind many of the buildings.

Photography: I take pictures. Way too many pictures.... My camera just rolled over 10,000 and started renumbering back at 0001. However, all of these pictures had been on auto focus, and I never knew how to adjust my camera to get the lighting the way I wanted. Ben helped me begin to understand aperture priority and shutter priority, by experimenting with both settings. He also pointed out a lot of great angles, shots and perspectives that I never would have even noticed or considered before.

I will go back for more! Thanks!

2  Thank Judy S
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Meeting at the most iconic location in Downtown Tampa, The Tampa Theatre, was a natural starting point with its amazing architecture and rich history. Our tour guide helped us to see photographs everywhere. We stopped by the Glazer Museum, the Riverwalk, the Sykes Building, the University of Tampa and other surrounding sites. Our tour guide, Ben, assisted us with setting up shots, camera settings and composition. He also gave us interesting facts about the stops along the tour, which was very interesting. I would recommend this photo tour to anyone who has an interest in photography, history and trivia about Tampa. There were all kinds of cameras on our tour, from DSLR's to IPhones and everyone seemed to enjoy their experience.

1  Thank BJ W
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Let me preface this review with an admission of guilt; my experience and knowledge of photography is equal to my experience and knowledge of being in outer space...incredibly limited but I have seen Star Wars a number of times. That being said, upon arriving at the Tampa Theatre and a couple of quick introductions, we were on our way. Ben (I think that was his name) was our Photo-tour guide. He was very knowledgeable about not only the city of Tampa, but also photography, which was quite helpful to me (see above experience) throughout the tour. At each stop on the tour Ben had a little piece of trivia or an anecdote about what we were photographing. At certain points we each took turns taking some iconic photos around the area, but mostly he gave us tips and suggestions on HOW to take the photos themselves. Words like "aperture" and "shutter speed" were used alongside of "perspective" and "angles". Seeing as how these words were not found in my lexicon I was constantly asking for assistance. Ben, seeing my ignorance and naivety of photography took extra time to help explain what I was doing and why i was doing it. At one point I found myself taking a photo of a broken mirror mosaic that was reflecting the Tampa skyline. Little tips like this Ben would give to make a normal photo turn into something much more memorable or even frame-able!

Whether you are a Tampa local or just in town for the weekend, I would HIGHLY recommend partaking in this walking photo tour. It made me have a deeper appreciation for my hometown and I learned a little something along the way. Lookout Instagram! #nofilter.

3  Thank ClayBrown