“STINKY room !!! Poor service.”

Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds
Ranked #72 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Warning!! If mold / mildew smell is a problem DO NOT stay here. We tried putting the a/c on high and the odor got much worse.
Also, the shuttle service to the casino is NOT reliable. They tell you they run every hour but it's only if it's convenient for them. We waited a half hour for our shuttle only to find out that the driver was waiting for a guest to finish their drink. WHAT? Be there when you say you'll be there.
Employees need customer service training!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Star13154
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Star13154,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is most disappointing to hear of your overall dissatisfaction and we are deeply sorry you found the room and the level of service you received less than satisfactory. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B

Reviewed March 31, 2013

when I first checked In I wasn't sure that this would be the hotel for me because the front door was blocked by other vehicle's and I had to wait 10 minuets to get around them then my door keys would not unlock the back door and i had to walk around the building but by the time I left I'm positive I will always stay at this hotel great hotel staff the young lady who worked the front desk was great for her age she seems very Intelligent I believe her name was Laura or Laren took great care of us along with the bald head fellow who works the shuttle at night.In the morning we had breakfast which was ok typical hotel food great location to the casino and a shuttle both big plus's

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We wanted to get away for the night and chose this hotel due to its proximity to the Hard Rock Casino. We asked them to put us in a room that was quiet because we just wanted to get a good night sleep. They agreed and put us on the other end of the hallway away from the elevator. The room was clean, The only complaint I have is that despite four calls to the front desk and a personal visit, little was done to quiet down the people in the room next door. They had at least six people in the room, yelling at 10:30 at night. We ended up packing our things and going to the front desk basically saying change our room or we are leaving. We were given a smoking room and told it was the only one available and if we chose to stay despite my allergies, we would have to " figure it out." It was right next to the elevator! So much for a good nights sleep! Like I said, the rooms were nice and also the breakfast food was great but the front staff did not have much bite when it came to complaints about their guests. We should not have had to move when we complained 4 times about the people next door. We called corporate and got our money back for the night. Not our usual way of doing things but needed to do it this time!

Room Tip: Have your room facing the rear of the hotel as the ones that face the front have big spot lights shi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Derrick L,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I deeply apologize for the poor service experienced from our hotel staff and the problems you encountered with the level of noise from the other room. However, we are glad the issue was addressed in a timely manner. Our efforts to improve the hotel are ongoing and we appreciate your honest feedback. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Zelyn N

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel was ok. Had great location next to the Florida State Fairgrounds and had a shuttle to the casino. Felt the hotel wasn't kept very clean. Everytime you got on the elevator there was dirt on the floor. If you looked at the corners on the floors they were dirty. Room was average-needs a little updating. Room was clean though. Free breakfast and internet. Overall average.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear rebcgo,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I am pleased that you found our location convenient and the room accommodations lived up to your expectations. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Janice A

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stay at many HI express and this is an average property. We were allowed to check in early, which I much appreciate, room was in a quiet lower corner, and very clean, comfortable. Clean pool area, good location to casino and other Tampa attractions, interstates. A bit questionable location a few blocks away, be careful. Nice breakfast, cheeful staff, but a little overpriced I thought for a weeknight, not even at a holiday time. I could see how this could be a noisy place on a weekend, with a fairgrounds event or casino crowd. But I would def stay again during week, not sure about a weekend though.

Room Tip: upper floor, corner if busy,
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2013

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

I am a Platinum Member with Priority Club and generally stay at Holiday Inn or IHC branded hotels. I had won tickets to a concert at the Fairgrounds and decided to use some of my points to stay at this hotel because it is right across the road. BIG MISTAKE.

This hotel clearly caters to the concert and casino crowds. Halls smelled of vomit and alcohol. The common areas were disruptively noisy. The room that my wife and I were booked into smelled very musty. When we arrived back at the room following the show, we found mold on the wall, the bed, and the other furniture. One of the stairways had puddles on the landing; water was clearly leaking in the ceiling of the stairwell and there is mildew and mold throughout the stairway.

On the positive side, we left around midnight and they did not charge me for the stay - I can only assume that is because 1) I am a Platinum member and 2) I vehemently insisted that they not charge me one dime.
We ended up driving to Clearwater to a hotel that I KNEW was clean and affordable.

This place should NOT be a Holiday Inn; it is more in line with Knights Inn and Motel 6.

Again, DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: This is a no-brainer; book a room at a different hotel. There is a La Quinta next door; try them.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Tim H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and being our valued Priority rewards Platinum member. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. We sincerely apologize for the condition of the hotel and room accommodations you received which was less than satisfactory. However, I am happy to read we have addressed the matters in a timely matter. Your comments have been passed to the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, and comments from our guests are always welcome.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Zelyn N

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Fantastic hotel experience, friendly & helpful staff, upscale amenities, and everything I could possibly need during my 6 day stay in Tampa. The hotel is spotless & well-maintained, many resources available & luxurious surroundings. Will definitely be back. Highly recommend ! They've thought of it ALL !!! Special thanks to everyone at the hotel ! You're an efficient team who go above & beyond !!! I especially appreciated the attention of the front desk staff. They greeted me each time I arrived or departed & asked if I needed anything. Keep up the good work ! It all matters so much. WOW !!!! Lynne R, Biloxi, MS

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends