“Nice Hotel, but Use the Shuttle!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown
Ranked #13 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Hotel was a little older but well kept. Prices were reasonable, desk clerks were helpful, room was clean. There is an $8 charge for parking, and the lot has very sharp turns that a larger vehicle would be unable to make.
The shuttle service is excellent and I suggest using it. The hotel is right at the end of the Ybor city area and there is about two blocks of deserted businesses before you get to the restaurant / club section. You don't want to be walking this area after dark. We walked to the restaurant the hotel suggested (no problem) and then walked back at about 7:30. We were panhandled aggressivly, one of them following part way back, frightening my wife.

Room Tip: Whirlpool rooms are located next to the maid's service rooms on each floor. Early morning noise...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rhodesworks
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The hotel renovated nicely, but the smell in our room made us both sick by the 2nd day. The walls are thin and we heard everything our neighbors had to say... at 3am. If you are on a budget and don't mind a sinus infection at the end of your stay, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

While recovering from thyroid surgery, I stayed in the Hampton Inn for 3 days. I was pleasantly surprised the day before surgery when I explored the Latin Historic district. Everything was close enough to walk to, but a shuttle is available for free transportation to shops and restaurants in the area. I ate at the Columbia restaurant (about 10 blocks away) and the food was AMAZING as well as the wonderful atmosphere. They have authentic Flamingo dancers (free) and the energy was great...service was too.

When I returned from dinner at the Columbia Restaurant the first night, there were warm, fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookies at the front desk. YUM. The next day was my surgery. They arranged for rides to and from Tampa General Hospital When I got back from surgery I was quite weak an unable to walk by myself. The shuttle driver walked me to my hotel room (not his job) and literally would have probably carried me if I'd asked! It gets better...That night, still in pain, still groggy, I called the front desk to see if they had one of those yummy cookies. They didn't....all out :-( An hour later, someone knocked on my door and when I opened it, the shuttle driver (different person) had 4 home made warm cookies for me!!!! How kind, how unexpected, how wonderful... I would recommend staying here to anyone. Prices are fair, beds are super comfy, and rooms have refrigerators, microwave, flat screen TV, wife fi internet, etc. Above all, the staff is kind, efficient and well....AMAZING.

Room Tip: My room was a 2 bed (queen) standard room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jen0715
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at the Hampton Inn while a family member was a patient at Tampa General Hospital. The staff was cordial, professional and very helpful. I parked my car at the hotel, but used the hotel shuttle to visit the hospital daily. The shuttle drivers were friendly and very punctual. The complimentary breakfast was delightful and bountiful!! This is a great place to stay - I hope to come back again for a visit with no hospital involvement!!
Lynne

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lynne S
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The staff and room was very good as compared to other hotels I have stayed. The breakfast items were fresh and plentiful. The receptionist and staff were very pleasant and helpful. They helped me with fining restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We visited this hotel on the night before departing for cruise. Located in Ybor city and close to the Cruise port of Tampa. This hotel is a great stop before or after your cruise, or anytime to visit Ybor City. The hotel has ample parking and for a fee you can leave your car there and take the free shuttle to and from the cruise port. The breakfast is included and great quality also. It is located at the end of the main street in Ybor City which is a hopping spot for night life with many bars just short stroll down the street. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert H
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed the night before our cruise. Had a great time in Ybor City. The shuttle to the port was quick and efficient as was the pick up after the cruise. We left our car in the hotel's covered parking area and it was fine. Good value for the convenience it offers cruisers

• Stayed: September 2013