New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown

Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown
Ranked #18 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Buford, Georgia
“Excellent place to stay for downtown visitors and "cruisers"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Upon first seeing where the motel was that my wife had booked about a mile from where we were catching our cruise; I was skeptical that this was a wise move. Fortunately, as we walked around the area during the mid afternoon and early evening; my fears were allayed.

The motel is very closely located on the TECO cable car route taking us more to the downtown area of Tampa on Saturday morning/afternoon. It is also located very close to cruise docks as I stated before, and as well, close to accommodating and excellent restaurants like Bernini's, the Columbia, James Joyce Irish Pub, the every Saturday farmer's market, and a variety of other restaurants that we would have loved to have tried time permitting.

The breakfast was delicious each morning, although the breakfast area is a bit full of folks on the weekends awaiting the shuttle to catch their cruises. So sometimes you may have to wait five or ten minutes for a table; but the breakfast is tasty and very filling with a wide selection from waffles, to bacon or sausage, eggs, juices, cereals, bagels, muffins, etc.

The rooms are very nicely done and the motel was EXTREMELY quiet. I slept better here in the king sized bed than I have slept at my own home. The staff was also very helpful and friendly and gave any kinds of help whenever it was needed; even advising us about the best time to catch the shuttle over to the cruise docks. (No need to get there so early since you'll just wait until they allow you on the ship.) We got to the cruise terminal at about 1:30 and were escorted in and in 15 minutes were on the ship; practically no waiting whatsoever.

I'd highly advise this motel for an overnight stay while visiting downtown Tampa or wanting to get on a cruise the next day or two. As far as the neighborhood, I probably wouldn't advise going out after about 11 p.m.; but otherwise, all should be good. Besides, there aren't many locations I'd stay at where I'd feel safe walking around in the area after 11 p.m.

Room Tip: I do believe that all rooms would be good in this motel. You can tell that they are focused on clea...
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had made reservations at a different hotel but cancelled them based on reviews we read on TripAdvisor. We were completely pleased with the Hampton Inn. Our room was clean and comfortable withan exceptional assortment of pillows, something that's important to me. The breakfast was excellent and the shuttle to the port was on time, with a safe, friendly, efficient driver. When we got off the ship, he was just pulling up, so we had no wait at all. Ebony at the front desk really impressed us with her helpfulness, as did the woman handling the buffet breakfast. I didn't get her name but certainly understood she wanted to give us the best experience possible. We plan to stay there for all cruises out of Tampa in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Margy231933
Odessa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had a wonderful one night stay. Dinner and entertainment was great and in walking distance. Ebony at the front desk was welcoming and remarkable! Breakfast and the room could not have been better. We can't wait to go back!

Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Usually stay at Hilton Garden Inn when in Tampa (Ybor City). This time I chose to stay in Hampton Inn for a change. For me, this turned out to be a mistake. I found the location to be a bit too far from central Ybor City, and in what I would consider to be a not so safe area for a single woman. Check in was OK. Friendly reception, but I didn't like the closed in feeling I got from the lobby. Then when I had to use my room key on the elevator I knew I wasn't going to be comfortable in this hotel. Smell in the hall after I exited the elevator was weird and unpleasant. I was on the second floor (Rm 202), which is considered a suite. The trolley tracks were right outside my windows, and I had a nice view of a "Warning - High Voltage" sign. The trolley noise wasn't horrible, but it wasn't pleasant either. The room, in my opinion, was a bit run down. There were a few ants. Closet door was broken. WiFi was actually pretty good. Didn't try the breakfast, but it looked pretty good. It was too far walk to my restaurants in Ybor City (Shrimp & Co, Columbia and Acropolis) after dark--would have been OK during the day. Exercise room was small, but OK. Didn't use the pool. I will stay at HGI in the future for it's safer and more centralized location, evening happy hour, and nicer rooms. That said, the Hampton is probably just fine for young couples or men, or women who are more adventurous and less picky than I am.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jirwin
TPAYBGM, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
To the reviewer known as Jirwin, it is always disheartening to read or hear that a guest has had a bad experience at our hotel. We take all reviews very seriously by reading, responding and learning from your experiences. I am thrilled to hear that our desk clerks were friendly, and am pleased to report that the Ybor City crime rate is down tremendously! We are proud to be part of this trend by doing what we can to make our guests feel safe; i.e. the secured private access to the guest room floors and employing security detail on staff. I do want to apologize that our guest room fell below standards. I have shared your comments with our staff so that our future guests do not incur the same problems. I sincerely hope that you will give us a second chance, and use our complimentary shuttle service to experience all of your favorite local restaurants (Acropolis being my personal favorite). I would love for you to contact me directly at 813-247-6700 so we can discuss your stay in detail, and I can provide you with our 100% Guarantee. We are firm believers in making sure our guests are 100% satisfied. Best regards, Lara Bonder / AGM
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Check in was speedy and very friendly. Initially the room seemed nice. Then noticed the bathroom sink was clogged as well as the toilet. The shower pipe was loose in the wall and the shower head had very low pressure. A /C was loud even on low and did not cool the room even though it was cool outside.
Breakfast was terrible. The food was discusting. They were out of many items including milk eating utensils.
Pleanty of parking on premises.

• 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank scuba14u
TPAYBGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I just finished reading your review of our hotel, and am dismayed at the impression that you left with! As you can see from our other reviews this is not the norm for us, and I apologize to you. I wish that I could have had the opportunity to speak with you prior to your departure from our hotel. Please contact me at 813-247-6700 so that I can obtain more information so that the following guests do not experience the same problems you had, and so I can issue our 100% Guarantee. We never charge if you’re not completely satisfied!
Again please accept my apologies and I hope that the next time that you visit Tampa you will contact me directly so that I can take care of you personally. Best regards, Lara Bonder / AGM
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed here for a couple nights and really enjoyed our stay. It's a great location, with a lot of restaurants within walking distance. Ybor city is not somewhere I would really want to be outside walking at night, but the hotel itself felt very safe and secure. Parking was a bit of a problem, they charge something like $8 for parking, which is really not outrageous, but when we came back the second night there were no spots in the garage. We were told we could park across the street in a $5 lot..I was not to pleased about this idea since I was already paying the hotel for parking, and this other lots did not look secure. The guy working Night Audit was able to find me a spot in the garage, that wasn't really a spot, so I appreciated him going out of his way to help me..just be warned that if it's a busy time there, you may not be able to park in the garage!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Recently, my work team and I had the opportunity to stay at the Hampton Inn at Ybor City, downtown Tampa, Florida. We were unfamiliar with the area and the staff at the hotel were fabulous about giving us directions, providing transportation resources, recommending great places to eat. They were incredibly accomodating of us. The hotel was clean, in great working order, the rooms were spacious and comfortable. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business