“Excellent hotel and staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown

Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown
Ranked #16 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Apopka, Florida
“Excellent hotel and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We just arrived back home from the Hampton Inn @ Ybor City and thought our stay was excellent. The hotel is exceptionally clean and a nice safe area of town. We travel a great deal and this was the 52nd night hotel stay for us this year and we highly recommend this Hampton Inn.

The front desk staff was outstanding and pleasant and made many suggestions for us to do or eat. They have a complimentary breakfast and the hostesses taking care of the food room was so very pleasant as well and always spoke to us each morning and took an interest in our day.

We had 2 rooms and came with our 4 grandkids along with friends with their 2 grandkids and yet everyone at the hotel did everything to make our stay a great one. I also want to thank the manager, Stephen Nunez for going out of his way to have the pool area for our use during some renovation that was going on.

I must also mention the complimentary shuttle and how very pleasant each driver was that catered to us and shuttled us to/from the Amtrak station, dining places within a 3 mi. radius and to/from the Florida Aquarium during our stay. You gotta love that perk.....:)

Ybor City would be alot of fun for the party crowd on a Friday-Sunday but excellent for kids during the week. They have a super arcade, a movie theatre, FL Aquarium and kids art museum that you can get into for $2.00 on the first Tuesday of each month.

The hotel is real handy if you are taking a cruise out of the Tampa Port Authority. I would recommend staying before or after your cruise and the hotel will shuttle you complimentary to the port.

Room Tip: Free shuttle service from the hotel within a 3 mile radius. Excellent to take the Amtrak to Ybor Ci...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank thesteevesgroup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brooksville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We had a few problems at check-in and they promised us an upgrade but couldn't deliver which was very dissapointing. They need much more seating in the breakfast area, the pool left much to be desired, the walls in the room were very thin, the a/c was loud, the elevators took forever and the staff was not friendly at all! Besides those issues, the room seemed clean for the most part besides some dust in the bathroom, very good location in Ybor and parking was convenient and cheap. I would say if you're drunk from partying in Ybor and don't notice anything then stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Kelly G
TPAYBGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and apologize a complimentary upgrade was not available for you. Due to unexpected maintenance problems we could not accommodate you in one of those rooms. It was disappointing to learn of our lack of service but we will share your feedback with all of our staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. We know we can do better!

Please contact me directly at the hotel so we can discuss a return visit to our property. I am confident a future stay will display the Hampton service and accommodations our guests have come to expect and enjoy.

Stephen Nunez
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night and there are lots of great places to eat in Ybor. The hotel was clean and efficient. Breakfast was good it was a buffet not much choise but good enough. Free tea and coffee all day

Room Tip: All rooms are nice
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonShell50
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn from 7/31 - 8/2 for work. The first room I was given wasn't cleaned. I did my usual bed bug inspection (which they past!), and saw a huge red (dried blood color) stain on the mattress of the 1st bed. The 2nd bed had hair on every level (duvet, flat sheet, fitted sheet, mattress pad and on the mattress). I immediately went to the front desk to ask for another room. He apologized and gave me another room. The 2nd room was better and clean and also passed the bed bug test.

Around 6pm that evening, I hear this tapping noise. I thought it was children running around in the next room, until I noticed a "rhythmic" pattern...It was my neighbor having sex and their headboard was knocking into the wall, which made my wall shake too. This happened again the next day at 10 and this morning 8/2/12 at 2am.

I'm all for people having sex and doing what they need to do, but DAMN I really do not need to hear it or see my walls shaking. Yes I could have complained to the front desk (but didn't want to seem like a prude), but I was worried about being put in another dirty room or having another neighbor louder than the last.

Needless to say I will NEVER stay at this location again. The parking lot is sketchy at best. No clear sign as to park unless you pass the building and see the "small" sign in the corner window telling you to park behind the building and around the block.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank offdahuk
TPAYBGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa/Ybor City/Downtown, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We apologize for the lack of cleanliness in your first room. We conduct regular room inspections that are scored on a 1000 point basis and share these inspections with our staff and supervisors. Clearly we dropped the ball with the first room you were given. Although I was happy to hear that the second room was clean I would like to follow up with you personally. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel at 813-247-6700.

Stephen Nunez
Canton, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This review has several pros & cons, so stay with me....Our group of 8 stayed at the Hampton Inn Ybor City on July 7, 2012 before boarding a Carnival cruise the next day. We chose the Hampton Inn because Hampton Inn properties are usually very nice. The biggest negative thing about our stay was this: Imagine my surprise as I'm pulling onto East 7th Avenue and it's very ghetto, to the point that I didn't know if we'd be safe staying there, but at this point what choice did we have? Lose our money & possibly not find another hotel at such late notice? One of the first pro's is that the parking deck we were able to leave our cars in was an enclosed, covered parking garage, so we felt better about leaving our vehicles there all week. We checked in and had three rooms. Two of the three rooms were as promised (king non-smoking). The other room was supposed to be non-smoking as well, but it had definitely been smoked in very recently, although I could tell they had tried to deodorize the room. The view from our room was a parking lot with some shady characters hanging around. My teenage son looked out the window and started singing the theme song from the television show, "Cops". The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful & even brought us up a roll-away bed soon after we called down & requested it. Having a shuttle service was nice & convenient. There were several restaurants within walking distance, but since we didn't feel safe walking back after dark, we took the free shuttle that takes you & picks you back up within a 3 mi. distance. We also used the shuttle service to take us to the cruise terminal the next morning & to pick us back up after our cruise. The drivers were very prompt & professional. The full breakfast the next morning was delicious, hot & had a good variety to choose from. The furniture in the breakfast/sitting area is dirty and very worn, especially the couches. There were alot of respectable looking business people staying at this hotel (which did make me feel better) & people going on the cruise, so you'd think this hotel makes enough money to keep their lobby nice. There was even a shady looking guy who came in off the street & used the computer in the lobby (meant for guests) for quite a while. He could've been a guest & maybe I was hypersensitive at that point, but he came in thru the front walkway & back out the same way. Overall, after we got settled, I felt safe and our stay was fine. I was glad it all worked out ok since we had driven 8 hours & definitely didn't want to search for another place to stay. I would probably stay there again because of the convenience to the cruise terminal, shuttle service, & provided parking garage. It just would've been nice to have known ahead of time what kind of area to expect & I'll definitely make sure the only thing I'm "packing" is not just clothes!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank faithfultwo
Bay Point, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Great location in Ybor City/Downtown Tampa. Easy to walk to restaurants and nightclubs in Ybor city. The hotel provides free shuttle service within a 3 mile radius from 8AM to 9:30PM. They took us to the famous Columbia Restaurant with their exccellent 45 minute castinet show.

My only complaint is they ran out of bananas on Sunday. Otherewise the complimentary buffet breakfast was very good.

We arrived on the Amtrak Silver Star train from Delaware. The shuttle will pick you up and return you there since it is so close by.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bill K
Tarpon Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Came here for dinner and a concert. Location is excellent-just enough out of the way to not be bothered by too much traffic, yet close enough to walk to local hot spots, plus hotel provides some transportation. Room was very clean and comfortable and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple