“Call for the shuttle”

Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore
Ranked #12 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My experience with complimentary hotel shuttles has been that they make continuous loops to/from the airport; however, that is not the case with this hotel. You have to call in order for them to dispatch the driver. That's fine. I would have called when I got off the plane; I just wish I had known that (maybe a note next to that amentitiy on their website would be helpful). Other than that, the shuttle was in good shape, the driver was nice, and the ride back to the hotel was short. The hotel itself is nice. The common areas are well maintained and the gym has good equipment. The pool is pleasant to spend an hour or two. Just lay on the side away from the hotel building, otherwise, you'll get the heat from the hotel laundry room dryers. As for the rooms, they were pretty modern, large and well maintained, but the bathroom area was dated.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank DCAnonymous
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

I appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. I am sure that your helpful travel tip to call for our shuttle upon arrival at Tampa International Airport will assist other travelers. I apologize that you were not informed to call for transportation prior to your arrival. However, I am pleased that you received quick and friendly service from our bell staff and that you enjoyed the comfort of our pool area and guest rooms. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed July 20, 2011

Checked in quite late about 9pm.Had called from theairport and shuttle arrived within 10 minutes and driver was helpful. When I checked in I made sure we had king size room - front desk person assured me it was.When we got up to the 8th floor with a lot of luggage,we discovered it was 2 doubles.As we had a lot of luggage I stayed where I was and my husband returned to the desk.They changed us to a room on the second floor,so my husband returned to the 8th floor ,collected our luggage and we made our way down the 2nd floor.It was a kingsize room,but sheets had stains on them,which did not make me feel too good! As we were very tired at this stage and could not face another trip back to the front desk and another change of room with our luggage we just tried to ignore the sheets as much as possible.To be fair, I think they were washed....just some stains did not come out( or at least that is what I kept telling myself).We only spent the night there as we left at 7am the following morning,so it was ok.Apart from the sheets ,the bed was very comfortable and the room andbathroom clean.I thought the breakfast buffet at $14.95 too expensive for what was on offer.I would probably consider this an average 3star.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank worldtravelx4
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at our property. I am pleased that you received great service from our bellstaff during your pickup at the airport and that you enjoyed the comfort of our guest room beds. However, I want to apologize for the incorrect room type provided by the front desk agent during check-in and for the inconvenient trip that your husband had to make back and forth. Also, I apologize for the poor appearance of the bed sheets in your second room. Please know that I have addressed your comments with our front desk and housekeeping staff to correct. I truly hope that you will allow us another opportunity to provided you with much more than an average 3 star experience in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2011

I stayed here prior to an early morning flight & left my car while I traveled. Check in was quick, my car was safe, my ride to the airport was on time, and pick up at the airport was fast- all by attentive and pleasant staff. My hotel room however, was a disappointment. I read many reviews in choosing this hotel- and since my stay was only about ten hours I did not require much. However, there was hair on the bathroom floor, a smear of some sort on the bedspread (How does the cleaning person not notice this?) and when I went to close the light block curtains there were big dirty, dark fingerprint-like marks on them...chocolate? blood? gross. I know I should have brought it to the attention of management so and I am sure it would have been corrected, but I just wanted to go to sleep so I could catch my early flight.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank 987traveler
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

I greatly appreciate your feedback. I apologize that the cleanliness of your guest room was not consistent with the exceptional aspects of the remainder of your stay. We certainly strive for a much higher standard of cleanliness and comfort and I apologize that we did not achieve it during your stay. Please know that feedback such as yours assists us in correcting possible issues in the future. I have addressed your comments with our Executive Housekeeper to immediately look into and correct. I am pleased that the park and fly package was perfect for your traveling needs. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed June 29, 2011

One word can totally describe our stay...SERVICE!!! When looking for hospitality in the Tampa area, there is only one place...the Wyndham. From the moment we got on the shuttle, to arrival at the desk, to our housekeeper and room service server...IMPECCABLE! Even their engineering staff was amazing. Our remote didn't work one evening during our stay and within 5 minutes of calling to the desk, I had a whole new remote! I travel to the area monthly and brought my husband this time for a long weekend and will definitely be back. I have stayed at your competition previously and have found a new "home away from home"! Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shoelover55334

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding the service from our fantastic staff. I am pleased that you were able to experience the friendly hospitality of our front desk, bell staff, housekeepers, engineers, and room service staff. I will certainly pass along your comments to our staff and recognize them for their wonderful service. Calling us your "home away from home" is truly the best compliment that we can receive. We are excited to see you and your husband again during your future visitis to Tampa.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

The hotel was nice, clean, and staff was super friendly, BUT...I work for a company that requires that I log some hours doing work when I get back for the night when I'm traveling. It's always my favorite time of day to unwind in my hotel room, throw on the tv, and finish up some emails/research/check the next day's schedule from the comfort of my bed (and of course, sneak in some personal emails and keep in touch with friends/family via skype). I was really irked that there was no free internet - I've never stayed in a hotel (even the cruddy ones I sometimes get booked in for work) with no internet. There is a $6.00 charge oer day, which may not seem like a lot, but I stayed for 5 days....so that ends up being $30.00 for about 3 hours total of internet time I needed. Plus even if I did pay, I would be tied to the desk by an ethernet cable - not very comfortable! I had to go to a local starbucks to get my work done, and I wasn't very pleased. Unfortunately, the internet is my lifeline for work/personal relationships, and this hotel really dropped the ball by not providing it as a complimentary service.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Kelly P

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding the internet options at our property. Please know that the comfort and satisfaction of our guests is of utmost importance to us. I understand from your review that you travel frequently for business and that internet access is absolutely necessary. If you are interested, all members of our Wyndham Rewards featuring ByRequest program receive complimentary high-speed internet access in our guestrooms. I apologize that this information was not properly provided to you during your stay. We hope to see you again during your next business or leisure trip to Tampa.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

Great place to overnight before you cruise out of Tampa, especially if you qualify for a discounted rate. We got an airline employee rate of $80 total that included 4 breakfast buffets (even on a Saturday morning), free shuttle from the airport and free shuttle to the cruise port.

We also ended up on the 11th floor club level. I asked the desk clerk why we got it and he said it looked like that was all that was available at the time when we checked in. Just lucky I guess. The only real difference I think was a room set up in the evening with snacks, tea and Starbucks coffee.

The only down side was a really small room for 4 people. (2 adults, a teen and a 7 y/o) Got a 2 dbl bed room and it was tight getting around. Good practice for the cruise though. Someone else mentioned low showerheads. I’m short and I noticed that they were kind of low. I imagine for someone >6 ft. it would be really low.

The plusses far outweigh the minuses though. The staff was friendly enough, no complaints there. Check in and out went smooth.

Be sure to ask about the shuttle to the port when you check in. They had 3 shuttles scheduled for the port. I’m sure if they weren’t too busy they would fit you in at another time.

Little touches that made it a good place too stay. M&M’s at the counter, and ice cold lemon/lime or cucumber water in the lobby. Happy hour had $2 drafts, $4 wine and $4 appetizers. Different free eats each night 5:30-6:30. The breakfast buffet was good considering it was included with our room. They advertise free breakfast Mon-Fri. The buffet sign said $14.99 for the buffet. Personally I wouldn’t pay that for it. It was more like a $7.99 buffet.

The good news about that is you have options if you can walk 500 steps. There is a mall just down the road. http://www.westshoreplaza.com/index.cfm It’s an easy walk if you are in semi good shape. They have the food court there, and several restaurants, PF Chang’s and Maggiano’s. Chic-fil-a for a cheap breakfast as long as it’s not Sunday. Even closer (about 200 steps) is a Waffle House for a dining alternative to the hotel restaurant.

The pool is clean and well maintained. The workout room looked pretty good as far as equipment. I heard someone mention that it gets pretty hot in there at certain times of day when the sun is coming thru the window.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are flying in to Tampa for a cruise and need a room for just one night. Especially if you can get some form of discounted rate like government, military, AAA, AARP, just ask what type discounts they offer when you make your reservation.

Room Tip: Call hotel direct. Ask for a discount.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank danno719
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to give such helpful feedback regarding your recent stay. You provided some great travel tips to fellow travelers about our property and the surrounding area. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our staff, shuttle transportation, breakfast buffet, happy hour, pool, fitness center, and M&M stations! I hope that your stay led to an equally fantastic cruise. We look forward to seeing you again during your future visits to Tampa.

Reviewed June 1, 2011

I'll start by saying that the staff at this property is the most friendly and welcoming group of individuals I have ever had the pleasure of staying with. The entire staff is excellent and I can't say enough nice things about them. I stay here on business one week out of every month and I honestly can say I look forward to my visits, It definitely feels like home away from home. I feel like I have friends there in the staff when I visit. From Jerry and his F&B team. The servers and bartenders are great. Priscilla, Judy, and Brandon are always welcoming and great to see. If you have the choice to stay anywhere in the Tampa Westshore area, I would strongly suggest choosing this place. They have great rates for the type of property and service that they provide!

Room Tip: Ask and they will accommodate as best as they can
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2011

Thank you for your very kind feedback regarding our staff. I am so pleased that they have made you feel completely "at home." I will be sure to share your comments with Jerry, Priscilla, Judy, Brandon, and our food and beverage staff. We appreciate that you return to us each month and look forward to your next visit!