“Fatty ribs”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Ribs were nothing like the picture. Ribs served me were bones with a lot of fat and hard to chew meat. BBQ is my favorite food and won't be returning.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

In Tampa for the day, we took the opportunity to see what BBQ the area had and, based upon the on-line reviews came here. Overall, it was worth it. Here's why.

On a secondary highway, the Wholly Smokes sign is easy to spot (see picture.) The parking lot was empty on the Sunday afternoon we arrived, possibly because of the holiday weekend. There was one other person inside, but the smoker was filled with ribs and chicken and the smell of smoke was uplifting. The women behind the counter was friendly and, bonus for places like this, the table was clean.

We picked the combo-plate with ribs, chicken and garlic toast with side dishes of baked beans and their popular corn nuggets. The plate, arriving in about ten minutes, looked, great (see the picture.) We (wife and hyper-critical son) agreed that the ribs were somewhere between rubbery and chewy with a flavor that was okay. Compared to our BBQ rib standard (Pearl Country Store in Micanopy), there was no comparison.

The chicken, on the other hand, was moist and with a wonderful smokey flavor. A squirt of their hot BBQ sauce (which wasn't too hot) made a nice touch. My son thought the chicken was "better than the pork, but that's not saying much." Oh well.

As for the sides, I thought the baked beans to be unnecessarily sweet with an undistinguished baked bean flavor. OTOH, my son really enjoyed them. Oh well. The corn nuggets - creamed corn breaded in corn meal and then fried - were interesting. The flavor was hard to nail down, but they provided a nice vehicle for the hot BBQ sauce. If you like fried things, order them.

We did not try the beef. The prices were fair and the portions generous. Next time I am in Tampa, I'll come back for the chicken and try the beef.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

I stopped at Wholly Smokes for a late lunch after a doctor's appointment. The place looks like a small shack beside the road. If you want elegance, go elsewhere. If you want good BBQ at a reasonable price, stop in! You won't regret it.

I had the $6.75 lunch special: sandwich, side and drink. I chose the pork sandwich with a side of baked beans. The beans were very good, and the sandwich was piled high and overflowing with well prepared chopped pork. They have both hot and mild sauces to satisfy most tastes.

For the money, it was one of the best BBQ places I have tried in the Tampa area. Way better than Sonny's for taste and value. The only place I like better for BBQ is First Choice BBQ in Brandon FL.

Reviewed May 12, 2011

Great local BBQ; wood grill, solid sides and classic selection.

Reviewed February 21, 2009

Wow! Talk about GREAT BBQ. The 4 meats we had were a 10 on a 1 to 10 scale. You can smell the smokers from 2 blocks away. Fall of the bone ribs, amazing tender juicy chicken. Fried Okra to die for. Dirt cheap. 2 people 20.00 and food leftover. Not fancy by any means. Picnic style tables, nothing fancy but wow is all we could say. Rudy's Texas is the best BBQ I have ever had but Wholly Smokes really gave Rudy's a run for their money!