“Good place for lunch”

Kojak's House of Ribs
Ranked #45 of 2,458 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Located one block west of historic Bayshore Blvd nestled under several grand oak trees. A 1927 bungalow converted into a restaurant. Serving South Tampa since 1978. Family owned and operated.
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I will usually hunt for good barbecue places, and when I read about Kojak's on TA I figured I would give it a try. I got the 2 choice combo with ribs and pulled pork. They were very good, but a little greasier then I am used to. The sides I tried were not near as good as the meats. Green beans were out of the can, and I think the baked beans might have been too, but neither was as good as I had expected.

Thank Mike741776 .

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stick with the ribs they were very good even with out any sauce and tender. The potatoes were not bad not overly greasy as some have stated. I was not impressed with the chicken too dry which was surprizing since it was a leg/ thigh.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

So, we go there on a saturday night and we get seated outside (that's what we chose); Our drinks arrive and my sweet tea tasted like sugar water...the tea taste was 100% non-existent; our food comes and the kids' plates are the saddest thing I've ever seen, so much so that my husband and I ended up sharing some of our food with them because they were still hungry. Our ribs were fatty and the flavor was nothing to write home about. Their "parsley potatoes" were ok, but everything else was beyond disappointing; we didn't order dessert, so I couldn't tell you whether that part of the menu is any good. Oh and they were also kind enough to clean the table next to ours with this overpowering clorox smelling rag, which almost made me gag. In addition, this barbecue place doesn't provide wet towelettes unless you ask for them, so yes, keep your sticky fingers until you get to spot your server. I cannot wrap my head around all these rave reviews I'm seeing and the fact that the place is packed every time we drive by...it's a complete mystery to me.

2  Thank Sil_Sandman
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Excellent atmosphere, Great service and amazing BBQ. Three choices of sauce at your table waiting and all of them are very tasty. a sweet, a tangy vinegar influenced, and a spicy hot bbq sauce as well. I tried a 3 meat combo and all meats were juicy and flavorful, not over smoky, just right. I had the parsley red skin on potatoes that were slathered in rich butter, garlic, and of course parsley, just outta this world! The baked beans were flavorful but mild, not overpowered with too much brown sugar and molasses. My wife says this is the best pulled pork she had ever had! Very nice! Now the icing on the cake literally was Aunt Shelby's Apple Cake, what a five star dessert served warm with a scoop of vanilla on the side. Just an all around excellent BBQ experience that we will enjoy again over and over. Nice Job !!!!

1  Thank 360Rocket
cforney450, General Manager at Kojak's House of Ribs, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for your review, it means a lot to us that you enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We have lived in Tampa for three years and always passed Kojaks, but never made it in. I decided to take my husband there for his birthday. We went at five on a Saturday and it was not crowded at all. We decided to sit outside on their sprawling porch, which was much nicer than the cramped inside. Our waitress was there as soon as we sat down with a big smile on her face. We ordered the homemade sangria, which was very refreshing. We tried the ribs, pulled pork, and sausage. All were very delicious and not fatty. You have a choice of three sauces, all are pretty good. However, I must say the best thing was the chocolate cake. The waitress said her aunt made it homemade, and it was probably the best cake I have ever eaten. This was the complete dining experience and I really cannot say anything negative. If you are looking for a casual, cheap, delicious restaurant with EXCELLENT customer service.. EAT HERE! As we were leaving, our waitress ran outside to say goodbye... that is unheard of... I will definitely be back!

1  Thank tiffanypainting

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your Valentines dinner.

Been to Kojak's House of Ribs? Share your experiences!