“NICKEL AND DIME, THE STEAK WAS JUST FINE”

Charley’s Steak House & Market Fresh Fish
Reserve with OpenTable
Charley’s Steak House & Market Fresh Fish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 2,492 Restaurants in Tampa
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cypress between Lois & Westshore
Description: Charley's Steak House Aged Steaks & Market Fresh Fish is truly the most award-winning restaurant in Tampa! Among its many accolades, Charley's has been voted one of the Top Ten Best Steakhouses in America, Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence and Sante Awards for High Level of Professional Service & Culinary Cuisine. Our USDA Prime & Choice steaks are aged on the premises for four to six weeks and are hand-cut daily by management to ensure consistent quality. The steaks are then flame-grilled over our unique 1200° Florida citrus and oak wood fueled custom pit. To increase flavor, Charley's cuts all their steaks "on the bone" because their bone releases flavor and helps the meat retain its natural juices during the cooking process. A lively and energetic lounge, chef-driven daily specials, signature steaks, an award-winning wine list and top notch service enhances each guest's dining experience to the fullest!
Reviewed March 25, 2014

A restaurant that charges extra for everything but air doesn't sit well with me. The steaks are EXPENSIVE! Well, everything is expensive. I mean really expensive. I had a 12 ounce Filet Mignon which, while it was smooth as butter for the most part, did not pass my "cut it with my fork" test. The taste was okay but not what I would have expected for such an expensive piece of former turf. I ate alone, had Lobster Bisque, a baked potato and a 12 ounce Filet and my bill before tip was about $80, which included one glass of wine. Four bucks for a baked potato. The Lobster Bisque came in an oversize cup. It was good. It had small chunks of Maine lobster. A little "thinner" than what I'm accustomed to and I couldn't taste much Sherry, which I'm also accustomed to coming from New England. It did come with a house salad. No room for desert, coffee OR a few ounces of that Filet. Would I recommend this restaurant again? Ah, I would probably head for Ruth's Chris. I have no problem rating this establishment with 4-Stars but I feel I'm being gracious for the amount of money I spent divided by the slight letdown in what I received and the charges for everything but air . . .

Write a ReviewReviews (1,267)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had a 7pm reservation and were finally seated at 7:38 with nothing more than "we are running behind". When we were finally seated, it was next to a table of 16 so conversation was impossible.

The food and the service was average. For the price point, I would expect more from both. The wine by the glass options were disappointing for a restaurant with such a huge wine list.

There are many other restaurants in the area that treat their patrons better - spend your money there!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Best food in town, the bar area is where it is all happening!!! The bartenders (Adam, Gary, Lauren and Nate are fantastic :) ) can make the evening!! The ribeye and the crabcakes are simply mouth wateringand should be accompanied by their amazing martini . Not only is the food great but the atmosphere makes it a very relaxing and enjoyable place to have a memorable evening. Absolutely a WIN-WIN for an evening out!!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

The service and food was extremely excellent. Please try the everything sampler it was the freshest crab & Shrimp I've ever tasted. The Lobster Mac & Cheese was delicious.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Went here my first night visiting Tampa with a friend. When you are seated, the waiter comes by with a tray, with each cut of their steaks, which I think is a great idea, and led me to believe that I might end up getting a top quality steak. I started with a Lobster Bisque, which was rich in flavour, but lacked any noticeable lobster pieces or chunks in it, and was pricy at $8 or $9 for a small portion. I ordered a ribeye, medium rare as my main course. it was decent, but no more than decent. Considering I was told that the meat is aged, and they are suppose to cook over wood for flavour, it wasn't any better tasting than I can make in my backyard, and was also fatty, by ribeye standards. My buddy had the fish trio, which was a very nice portion. It consisted of a healthy piece of salmon, a piece of tuna, which was sadly, way overdone, and a very tasty scampi, with shrimp, and scallops. For the price it was the best value on the menu in my opinion, however, the tuna should of been cooked rare, or my buddy should of at least been asked his preference. I definitely wouldn't go back here for steak, however the fish trio, if I could specify the cooking of the tuna, might be intriguing to me.