“Finally! Traditional Mexican in New Tampa!”

Casa Ramos Restaurant New Tampa
Ranked #1,082 of 2,461 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Oh, Casa Ramos, I have been waiting for you! We are really lacking for Mexican in New Tampa - or, we WERE lacking. Casa Ramos provides excellent traditional type Mexican - nothing fancy, nothing gourmet...just real, normal, Mexican food. The prices were very reasonable, the service excellent (several servers checked on us) and the food was wonderful! I ordered a combination plate of tacos and enchiladas and my dining partner had fajitas. Both servings were ample with rice and beans. I ordered a side of fresh guacamole and sour cream. The chips and salsa were on the table immediately and replenished. I will definitely be back. The restaurant is out of the way/off the main drag (Bruce B Downs) and I hope people search for it.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This new restaurant offers basic Tex-Mex food with several interesting menu items, e.g. seafood or meat stew and some good vegetarian offerings. The service is overly attentive by some eager young people. The overall appearance is a bit dark. The competition. This place is not up to the esthetic and culinary standards of Cantina Laredo at Wiregrass Mall; it may be a step above Los Vallarta because of the varied menu items.

1  Thank PascoBob
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were excited to see Casa Ramos move into the plaza since my husband and I love Mexican food. The prices seemed a bit high, but maybe the food would be good. The updated decor looks nice and the waitress was extremely enthusiastic and attentive. My husband ordered the Plato de Mexico, which contains a bit of everything and I ordered a seafood chimichanga. Both were served on huge plates filled with rice and refried beans. They looked beautiful and yummy, but there was no flavor. My chimichanga seemed more like a burrito covered in sauce. Inside was a bland, overcooked vegetable/seafood mash consisting of mostly of bits of celery and white seafood bits, but tasting of nothing in particular. The rice was fluffy and looked nice, but also had no flavor or seasoning. I tasted some of the items on my husband's platter and it was the same except for one of the sauces, which was heavy on salt, but nothing more. We kept eating, baffled at how it is possible to cook such a wide array of Mexican dishes without an ounce of flavor making its way onto the plate. He had a chicken flauta that he said was just dry, bland chicken meat in a flavorless crunchy shell. There was a cheese filled chile relleno doused in salt, but nothing more complex or interesting to season it. There was a charred piece of flank steak that was completely unseasoned, unsalted and just left the taste of charcoal in your mouth. It was all amazingly disappointing. I can't see any reason that we'd ever go back.

1  Thank Shannon L
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Met by hostess and seated immediately
There is such an extensive menu, it's difficult to choose.
The food was delicious and properly cooked. Everyone at the
table was pleased with their dishes. The service was quick and
friendly. The prices were very reasonable, and we had so much food,
we had to take home the rest. Well worth the visit if you like real,
Mexican food. We will be back.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Ate there with my daughter and friends after painting pottery next door.No one liked the food.The quesadillas for kids was soggy completely through.The rice and beans was gross.How do you mess up quesadillas,rice and beans?!? When I think of New Tampa I think of good food.I will not return to this place.Also,the service was slooooow and they weren't even busy! Disappointing.

3  Thank beansmommy

Been to Casa Ramos Restaurant New Tampa? Share your experiences!