“Overpriced and overrated”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I bake and the $5 baby cake was full of holes (not a good thing in cakes). I don't care if they use great ingredients, so do I and my cake has a more even texture. Service also poor.

Suzanne P, Owner at Dough, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Hi FloridaLibrarian,

So sorry you were disappointed with your baby cake :-( We are using great ingredients, as you mentioned, and we are tweaking our recipes as we speak to make a more consistent, high quality product. We appreciate your feedback and your business. We hope that you will come in and try us again.

There are newer reviews for Dough

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We first visited Dough during their soft opening and we were super pleased. I had the best brownie I have EVER had that night. It happened to be gluten free as well (not that it would matter to me). Unfortunately it has not been there any of my subsequent visits. The other desserts I have tried were very good as well and the staff was very nice and accommodating. She even offered to warm up my brownie and add gelato. ummmm yes please and thank you!! The parking situation is a hassle and very limited. Datz does offer valet next door, however paying $5 dollars just to get dessert and a coffee is a deterrent for sure. Last time I was in the mood for just dessert and coffee we ended up going somewhere else because of the wait for valet. I could understand if we were having a meal but like i said...

Bring back the gluten free brownie!!!

Suzanne P, Owner at Dough, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Hi RubMyBuddha23! Thank you for your awesome review! So glad you've found things you like! We do have the brownie on a pretty regular basis, but always feel free to call before you come and ask!

Regarding parking and valet: we have always had a challenging parking scenario, and we added the valet for folks that just don't want to look for parking. However, it is never required that you use the valet. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

This place is nice for the kids. Nice funky interior. Their pastries and macarons are made by William Dean and Michael Ostrander. Two names i'm quite familiar with....so with that being said, i was not impressed. Are they the only two people in the area that can make decent pastries? Why do shops outsource their desserts? What happened with making it yourself from scratch?!?
Anyways, we tried a cupcake which had italian buttercream, it was good. Biscotti and espresso cookies were good too. Kahwa made a signature blend for them which is pretty cool too.

Suzanne P, Owner at Dough, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Hi SuzieP --

Thank you for your business and the feedback. We're glad you like the space! We worked really hard to create a spot that would be fun, memorable and comfortable.

We've had a longstanding partnership with William Dean -- he is the guy to work with if you want top quality artisan chocolates! He is also the best producer of macarons in the area. These particular cookies are a discipline all their own. It's not to say that we wouldn't make them in-house at some point, but for now we feel that we're providing our customers a fantastic product by stocking Bill's macarons. Chef Ostrander is actually working with our staff in house. All of our pastries are made in our building, aside from the macarons.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I am a HUGE fan of Datz, and when I read about Dough I was excited to try it. I went today Saturday April 20th, 2013. The exterior and interior decor are awesome, absolutely gorgeous....however the operation lacked organization. I walked in and was greeted by the Barista's (3), it was nice to be greeted, but if its my first time in how am I supposed to know what I want. Oh yes and while I was deciding, I was told by one overly eager associate that lunch isn't available on the weekends...... and was confused, is there food, coffee, only pastries...... hmmmmm oh and how am I supposed to see the gelato hidden in the corner? I had to cascade the entire case, while the barista who was helping was tired of waiting for me to look (mind you this was about 20-30seconds) that she moved onto helping someone else..... When one of the other barista's noticed that I was first in the door, but no longer being helped she came right over to help. We ordered macaroons, a ginormous brownie, and a caramel latte.

In drink was good, however....I thought I would get a luxuriously creamy drink, something I can't get elsewhere....but it was just a normal drink (watery, no whip cream, no caramel drizzle, nothing unique, I would have paid $6-$7 for something out of this world). I would assume a place with such decadent desserts would have a decadent one of a kind coffee beverage menu.

I wanted to order macaroons, but the labels were on the side and I had to keep looking from right to left to decide what I wanted to order, I would have ordered more, but I felt pressure from the staff to make a decision quickly. I hope Dough becomes the gastro staple that Datz is. Please feel free to reach out for additional info, I'd love to see this place become more than amazing!

Good luck!

DatzOwners, Owner at Dough, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Hi Khristian!

Thank you so much for your business and for taking some time to provide us with feedback. It definitely does sound like your visit was a bit confusing! Ack! So sorry about that. We've only been open about two weeks and we are still training new staff and getting the kinks worked out. The weekends are a really busy time and our staff, as you noted (Ha!), is pretty eager to get customer served quickly so they don't experience a long, frustrating, wait. However, it sounds like a side effect of that was you feeling rushed. We don't want that! I am so glad you told us -- we can be sure to keep that in mind as we work to get customers served efficiently. About the latte, that doesn't sound like our coffee at all in the sense that it was "watery". We make our lattes with a custom roast created for us by Kahwa and we use a top of the line machine. It sounds like maybe you got one of our new baristas and there was a little user error involved. Please let us buy you another coffee drink that is more to your liking. There is a free coffee card in the office for you at Datz. You can stop in whenever you want to grab it -- any manager can get it for you. With that said, our lattes are not generally served with whipped cream, but if you ask for it we can easily add it!
Regarding lunch: at this point we are only serving lunch Monday-Friday, so the baristas were correct in communicating that.What you will find on the weekend though is a wide range of pastries and a variety of savory grab and go items like quiche, stuffed croissants, etc.
I think we got everything we needed from your review, but would you mind emailing kate@datztampa.com so we have your email address? That way we can reach out if we need more info.

Thank you so much for writing and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Seems that some of the reviews here are for the old Kalupa's which is now no longer having been bought out by their next door neighbors, Datz's and renamed Dough.

I gave the new place a try this week and on the upside the staff is friendly, the ambience pleasant and the choice of pastries is beautiful although I didn't order anything sweet.

I did, however, order a serving of quiche Lorraine which arrived as a decent sized round pie. Unfortunately it was barely luke warm and if there was bacon in in I couldn't detect it. One small quibble, please get rid of those large mouth cups that cause your coffee to instantly cool and replace with mugs. Pricewise I thought it was slightly overpriced for what I got, $16 for 2 quiche servings plus 2 coffees, somewhere between $12 and $14 would have been more appropriate.

One big plus for Dough, whoever picks out the music is doing a great job, nice mix of jazzy vocals and instrumentations.

Overall not enough to keep me away but deep down inside I kind of wish Kalupa's was still there.

DatzOwners, Owner at Dough, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Hi TampaTide1!

Thank you for taking the time to visit our new bakery and provide us with some feedback! It sounds like you visited during our soft opening or in the first day or two of business. At that time we were (and in some ways, still are) working out the kinks.If you come back to see us again, I think you will find that the quiche has been improved and is served hotter (yay!) and that we have made other tweaks that have created a better experience. Regarding value, we know our prices may be slightly higher than others in the area, but we are using only premium ingredients in generous portions. We think those considerations result in a better product for our customers. So glad you noticed our music :-) It's fun to pick out!

Thanks again for your business and feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Dough? Share your experiences!