“On the right track”

Cuisines: American, Cuban
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I had dinner with my wife and adult son here recently. This was our first visit to Cigar City Brewpub. Other reviews and a friends comments that the food was substandard had kept me away, but I had recently read some newer reviews that many of the early problems had been addressed and the food was now much better. I decided to find out for myself, because as a craft beer lover, what could be better than great beer and good food. I will start out by saying that the beer was fantastic, just as expected. I ordered the lamb lollipops (lamb rib) and they were very good, tender and flavorful. I would get them again. The side items, fingerling potato's and greens were not very good and I did not take more than one or two bites. My wife had the braised short rib and it was very good. The meat was so tender it almost melted in your mouth. The side items were okay, not memorable. My son had the fish tacos (swordfish) which are served cold, and they were the best fish tacos I have ever tasted. Overall we had a great experience here, but they do need to work on the side dishes. As I stated in the beginning, the beer was top notch and the meats were delicious and well prepared. I will definitely return here for both the beer and the food. I only hope that the management of Cigar City Brewpub reads this review and fixes the little things (side items). Just keep brewing some of the best beer in the area, you have the right idea here.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My first night in Tampa, and my family took me here for dinner and beer. The pub is under renovation to open it up some more, so it's hard to judge the ambiance. And it was a relatively quiet Monday night. The beers are great - some brewed on the premises, others from the main brewery in town. I'm ordinarily not a beer drinker (used to be but wine and diets prevail now) but it was nice to taste some really good beer for a change. I had a brown ale brewed there. Also had the swordfish tacos and yuca fries, both very good. Others had the Cuban pressed sandwich and a roasted romaine salad with chicken, all good. We liked it so much we went to the main brewery for a tour and tasting a few days later, also very much worth doing.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I've been here twice now. The first time was within the opening month and they seemed to be a little disorganized. I gave them some time to figure it out and my second trip was much better. The swordfish tacos are great and the yuca fires with the garlic aioli sauce was a nice surprise. My girlfriend ordered the bean cake which was also very good. I would skip the Cuban because of better things on the menu, but it is a nice size and I believe comes with their homemade chips which are pretty good. The best part is they have great beer on tap too.

I think this place is great. Good beers and food. I'm glad they seem to have gotten better and I'll be back soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

As I travel around the country trying a variety of brewpubs, microbrews etc. i find they all have something to offer. Here, the food is average/decent but the beer shines. On the food, the menu is varied and tries to impress with some "fancier" entrees. I had a short rib entree with brussel sprouts and risotto; it was decent and quite frankly, a nice offering for the brew pub atmosphere. However, i thought the place shined on the variety and quality of the beers. I took advantage of a flight of several beers, and added on with few other "short" pours. Usually such places have one or two decent beers, but here, i was pleasantly surprised at the depth of offerings and quality. Indeed, the two sours were very approachable; the IPA on the mild side but well balanced; the Belgian white also was nice. I would say while nothing was overly sophisticated, all the beers were well balanced, not overdone, and shows a commitment to making the variety of beers available to all palates. Good job. I did not rate this a 5 because while the beer was above average, the food was average, the location along a busy highway among strip malls, and otherwise not that unique. But that said, for the beer snob, it is worth going out of your way to visit while in Tampa or St. Pete.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We visited when they first opened in April 2013 and we were not impressed. The food was just okay, but overpriced and the beers on draft were the same as other around town locations.
Now they have 5+ drafts that they only brew and offer at this location (awesome!) the bar staff was very friendly and open to having us try everything, and their brunch menu was very impressive... The burger was outstanding and cooked perfectly rare to our taste... Glad we went back and now we'll definitely be back again!