“Stay AWAY!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Tampa, Florida
“Stay AWAY!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Horrible food, unclean restooms are bad, but serving endangered animals (Lion) on the menu is downright deplorable. Even if these animals are raised for food (itself a problem) supporting that industry is disgusting. Send these people a message and eat at one of the other (many) fine Mexican restaurants in Tampa!!

3 Thank maguson

Tampa, FL
“Not for the weak stomach or thin wallet”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I had heard for a while about a new taco place on the radio that served exotic tacos. Really? Exotic tacos? Is there such a thing? Yep. There is and they serve them at Taco Fusion. I gathered a small group of friends who have an adventurous palate and decided to go. When we arrived, I was surprised to see the kind of meat being used in the tacos. Lion, ostrich, rocky mountain oysters (yuck!), otter, beaver... If you can get past the ethical dilemma of eating these kinds of animals, it's actually pretty tasty. My wallet decided against the lion taco. After all, it's still just a taco. I opted for an ostrich and a crab taco. They also have regular chicken tacos too if you're not feeling adventurous. Overall, I thought the restaurant was fun. The waitress we had was attentive and joked around with us. Everyone left feeling full except my wallet. After a couple of tacos and a drink I wasn't expecting the bill I got. But then again, I would have gladly paid that amount for a fun night out with friends and a friendly waitress.

1 Thank scottyreynolds
Palm Harbor, FL
“If I said it wasn't good, I'd be lion!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

After reading about this restaurant and hearing about it on the radio, my boyfriend and I decided that we would like to sample some lion meat. Is it ethical to eat lion? No, but its not ethical to kill and eat ANY animal. Unfortunately for the lions and the cows and the chickens, etc, it is legal to eat them in America and... well... they taste delicious.

Anyway. The service was great. The cashier was friendly and helpful. The security guard was professional. The man who brought us our food was also friendly. Overall, the service was great and pretty quick.

My boyfriend ordered a bison taco, an ahi tuna taco, and an octopus taco. The tuna taco was surprisingly spicy! The bison was great and the octopus was pretty good. I ordered a duck taco ($6.99, pretty good price for duck) and a beef taco. The duck was my favorite and sweeter than expected. The steak taco was decent. My bf got one of the large fountain drinks for I think $2.75 which is the largest drink I have ever seen served in a restaurant. 32 ounces I believe?? Pretty good deal!

Lastly, we had the lion taco. It was definitely an experience... the meat was kind of tough, which is to be expected I guess, considering the animal hasn't been domesticated. It has a unique and robust flavor, not really comparable to beef or pork. The price for this tasty little treat is a bit steep - $38 (tax included)! Would I buy it again? No. Was it worth it for a one-of-a-kind experience? Yes.

Another unique fare this restaurant offers is a taco with ghost pepper (which is the second hottest pepper in the world). You have to be 18 or older to buy it and you must sign a waiver to eat it. Quite intense! At the end of our meal there was a teenage boy who decided to have a shot of the ghost pepper sauce. Why anyone would choose to do this is beyond me. It was quite entertaining to see the show!

We briefly spoke to the security guard before we left and he informed us that the restaurant staff were recently threatened by some people who think they shouldn't be selling lion meat, which is pretty ridiculous. To protest the slaughter of lions they plan to... slaughter people? Doesn't make any sense. Its terrible that the staff suffers from death threats while they're just trying to earn a living.

We plan on going back to this taco place to sample more exotic fares in the future, and I'll order the duck again for sure.

New York City, New York
“The restaurant in Florida where I got sick”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Skip it. Food was undercooked and I got sick. Plus there were roaches and ants in the bathroom. The staff had a bit of an attitude. You'll get a better taco from a street vendor in Miami.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank fromnyctofll
Brooksville, Florida
“Horrible. Got so sick after eating here. Filthy.”
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Horrible place. No one washes their hands. Got very sick after eating here. Avoid at all costs. Roaches in bathroom and dining room.

• Visited April 2013