“Excellent fresh seafood”

Shells Seafood Restaurant - South Tampa
Ranked #144 of 2,490 Restaurants in Tampa
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Historic Ybor
Description: Shells has been serving the Tampa Bay Area Great Casual Seafood for the past 30 years. We search near and far to bring you finest and freshest quality seafood at Dockside prices daily. All of our seafood is prepared fresh to order by our Seafood Experts and served in a casual friendly atmosphere that will impress your family and friends without depressing your wallet. At Shells our motto is what you eat is more important than what you wear!
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The grilled grouper was fresh today and very good. The vegetable sides were unbelievable! They steamed the veggies like broccoli in bags they told me. They were so tender. I asked for a side salad for $1.50 and they brought a giant bowl that was overflowing. I asked about the claim of "fresh" salmon on the sign and the manager came over for a casual discussion about the quality of the fish. Being from the North I knew this couldn't come from the Gulf and he concurred that fresh meant not frozen so I was satisfied with the explanation. He appreciated the interest in his family's business. The Belgian Shock Top beer on tap was an exciting discovery for me, served ice-cold in a mug. Oh yes I saw many people eating fresh oysters and they looked great. I'll go back for them next time.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was a place I used to go to a lot when I lived close to it. It has fresh seafood, relax atmosphere, and pretty good food. The bread is excellent. Most of my extended family enjoys it as well.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We enjoyed the view. That was it. The food did not taste fresh. The fish was dry and over seasoned. The frozen drinks were great. We have not gone back since because of this experience.

1  Thank Shawna F
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I wasn't initially impressed walking through the door but the food made up for that. The decor is a bit on the cheezy side as if walking into a touristy seafood restaurant. The menu has your typical assortment of seafood from crabs to shrimp and fresh catches. I decided to have the "signature" dish. Shrimp pasta. It was fantastic. The shrimp were medium sized but plentiful and the pasta with white wine cream sauce was fantastic. I ended up eating way too much as the portion was quite big. My friends had the clam chowder and were amazed at the amount of clams in the chowder. They raved on how well it tasted too. Overall the service was great and the food outstanding. Don't be fooled by the decor and stop in and feast on pretty reasonably priced seafood.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Old family owned restaurant; sold name several years ago and corporation tried to make a chain out of it but failed. Family still owns this one in Tampa. Food is good although not huge servings, but price is reasonable; Chowder is great.

Clean, good food, good wine selection, worth the trip.