“Very good”

Lauro's Ristorante Italiano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between S. Grady Ave. and S. Church Ave.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Enjoyed the food, though I will say that the Veal Parm wasn't the norm....brown gravy? It was different, but very tasty. Lobster Bisque with crab meat was exceptional, and the house salad was very good as well. The red sauce was excellent, and so were the deserts. Service was so/so, and the atmosphere was rather bright for an intimate Italian restaurant.

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Outstanding service. Best you'll find anywhere. They truly understand how service should be, and used to be.

The avocado vinagrette, as simple as it sounds, was very well done and tasty.

But, the piece d'ressistence was the Lasagna Bolognese. House made pasta and made with bechemel instead of ricotta. The best I've EVER had, besides my wife's.

The Italian spongecake, house made, was very, very fresh, and very good.

Atmosphere is a bit dated, but aren't all truly good Italian restaurants. They're not supposed to be "hip'.

Said (Sayed) is the maitre d, but also served me. He knows the menu and service!

And just now, tested me with a complimentary glass of Limoncelli.

Will I be back? Guess.... .

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Some friends and I who had not seen eachother in a long while thought we would treat ourselves out to a nice dinner. Our reservations were at 7 pm and I arrived at the restuarant at 7 pm on time. I was greeted at the front counter by a woman who confirmed my reservation and seated me immediately. The table was set already, icewater and olive oil were already made and on the table. It was like sitting at a friends house waiting for dinner. The restaurant is quaint old school italian, servers were ambitious, friends and informative. The meals came out in an orderly fashion, appetizers, each of us a little water bowl to wash our fingers ( must admit it was kinda cool ), salads came out next, then our meals and a shared dessert. Everything came out in a timely fashion, although the restaurant only had two other tables to serve - it was not busy at all. The food quality was my biggest issue - it was below average. It was edible - it just wasn't anything said - WOW this is fantastic! I love this! This is so worth the money - it was ah so so. The apps were calamari and a steamed artichoke. The artichoke was over cooked so it was just a big ball of mush really, the calamari were - ah I ate them, they weren't chewy so that was good. The salad - I have to admit it seemed as if the caesar dressing was fresh but again it was nothing special and the three croutons on top were kinda tacky I thought, they seemed almost cold, stale and wet. The dinner was so so as well, edible, but nothing fabulous about it. I don't know if it was worth the money to be honest, romantic, anniversary, special holiday, business etc. However, ambiance nicely appointed, service was above average so I guess if your there with your special someone and your completed smitten with your otherhalf and not so much caring that your eating some ah so so food, go enjoy feel special. Perhaps I'm an Italian that has been to Americanized but I would hope that this is not the case.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Asked Cacciatore and Sons (Meat Market, Armenia Dr.,Tampa) where to eat real Italian and was sent to Lauros. Been there 30+ years - chef/owner hails from Naples Italy. Even though we arrived 10 minutes before lunch ended, the maitre d was welcoming and gracious as was our server. Husband had fettucini bolognese (best sauce we have had outside Italy) and I had spinach/ricotta agnolotti w/cream sauce. Ravioli, fettucini, and agnolotti are hand made there and bread baked daily. It was great to have pasta cooked the way it is intended - al dente! We are looking forward to returning for a dinner service.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Not far from downtown (eg. Hyde Park ) but certainly not "central", on a street of strip malls and chain restaurants, Lauro's is a real surprise. Old-style restaurant feel and service - in the very best sense of the term. The room is white-tablecloth all the way, the waiters have been working at the restaurant for years and know the menu, know how to treat customers, and know the regulars! Everything is in fact the opposite of trendy. So, this isn't the place to come for the dish of the moment, or for a chef's original take on the classics. One comes here for high quality ingredients (outstanding veal, amazing pasta, top notch fish), prepared with care in a classic northern Italian manner. You will not leave room for dessert, but you should - we were there the week before Easter and the ricotta "pie" was perfection.