“Good Sushi”

Joto Thai-Sushi
Ranked #309 of 2,490 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Thai
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Have been coming here for years. We find the Sushi Chefs to be great, friendly and know what they are doing. Sushi is always fresh and tasty as it should be. The only thing to watch for is the HOT green tea is really hot. We will be returning again soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have been here a number of times and have found the service and food to be quality. The sushi is good, and I have enjoyed their Tom Kha soup. The only real complaint is that they always serve their hot tea so hot that you can not even pick up the cup let alone try to drink it until you are almost done with your meal, so watch out for that.

2  Thank srmcknight1
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Typical Japanese restaurant, but nice sushi bar and ambiance. Fresh/good sushi & typical "Americanised" Japanese cuisine. Moderate prices. Inside seating only.

1  Thank Dione P
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I've heard that in traditional Asian meals, that meat is a secondary item, and that was never more true then here.

Came here with a groupon with my girlfriend. We got a Sexy Man roll as an appetizer (and she got a Sexy Man as a companion) and we both got a thai dish for dinner - mine with pork, and hers with sushi. There may have been enough pork/shrimp combined for 1 person. Seriously, a couple of bites and the rest was veggies and rice.

Don't get me wrong, I like veggies and rice, but when I want pork, I want to actually see and taste some pork.

Outside of the amount of protein, it was very good. I really enjoyed the spice in mine and she liked her dish as well. I got pring khrig, or something like that, and she got massaman, or something like that. You can't go wrong with either dish, but don't get more than hot. Regular hot was plenty hot - and I love spicy food - thai hot would have been too much to handle.

So, it lost a star for the lack of meat, and it looses another one for timing. We placed our order and our sushi appetizer - a single roll mind you - took 20 minutes. The table next to us got their sushi 5 minutes or so before us and had clearly been sitting there a while before we even showed up. The reason was obvious - the table on the other side of us ordered a sushi boat, which looked amazing. Very very well done and beautifully presented. However, there was a single sushi chef working, and the boat - which was 10 or so rolls, I think - put him really far behind. So while it was completely understandable, I think the server could have explained that to us before we ordered the sushi so we would have known it was going to be a while and we could have ordered accordingly. Our thai food came out within a couple of minutes of the server putting in the entrée order.

Unfortunately for the tables sat after us, as we were leaving, another boat was delivered to another table, meaning everyone else was going to wait a while.

Finally, while the sushi looked awesome, I was underwhelmed by the sexy man roll (and no, my girlfriend was not underwhelmed by her sexy man companion). However, I am not taking too much away from them for that. First, it was one roll and I can't judge all of their sushi on a single roll, and second, it was good, just not the best sexy man roll I ever had.

Did I just say that wasn't the best sexy man I ever had?!?!?

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Love they add Thai Food in the menu, I love both Thai and Japanese food. Their Lunch Special is very valuable especially Sushi and Thai Bento. The new decoration made this place romantic and cozy. All of wait staff are so friendly and attentive. Can't wait to come back for their Happy Hour;)

1  Thank My_Charee

Been to Joto Thai-Sushi? Share your experiences!