“delicious Cuban food in a historic building”

Carmine's Seventh Avenue
Ranked #132 of 2,405 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Cuban, Italian, Spanish
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Historic Ybor
Berkley, Michigan
“delicious Cuban food in a historic building”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

What could be better than a Cuba libra with a Cuban sandwich and black beans and rice? Not much! I also had to sample the house specialty devil crab, which is similar to a crab cake but without the traditional Maryland spices and filler; it was delicious.

• Visited February 2013

Ladenburg, Germany
“Eat in Ybor when you visit Tampa!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Carmine's is an Italian/Cuban restaurant located in the heart of Ybor City. Our server, Gigi, guided us through the menu and checked in often during the meal to see if we needed anything. The food was good. The bread was fantastic. Eat it while it is still hot.

I really liked the architecture of the building...wrought iron, brick and a tin ceiling.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Food, Great History, Gorgeous Waitresses”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I fell in love three times this afternoon, and it wasn't over the Cuban food. But I am getting ahead of myself here.

HOW WE GOT THERE
Finding myself in Ybor City (Tampa) just before lunchtime, and having already enjoyed the Acropolis restaurant across the street once before, I took Nelson's advice and invited a gang of 6 IT Consultants ( well, sort of Migrant Workers, really, ) to lunch at Carmine's.

ATMOSPHERE / SERVICE
Historic building (1804) which is important to us history majors, on the main street in Ybor City, city parking lot in the rear of the building; casual seating; casual, laid-back service from a team of the prettiest, friendly waitresses I have seen in a long time. And no, I wasn't drinking at 11:30, just iced tea.

But I thought about it.

EXPECTATIONS
Nelson said it's a 10 year old famous Cuban restaurant where "you can't go wrong"; Gary said the last time he was here "the chicken was actually raw" (and by assumption, I guess he didn't eat it, since he was still here to talk about it); but my main interest was in trying the famous crab appetizer (famous based on the many other reviews, below).

WHAT WE HAD / FINDINGS
Some Cuban sandwiches (looked GREAT!) A; Cuban white bean soup (very very mild, think Campbell's Bean With Bacon) B-; Grilled Chicken Salad (large, and well-presented) B+; and the Famous Crab Appetizer (picture in your mind only, because my camera was low on battery) the crab cake was a hockey puck of breaded, deep fried shredded crabmeat, with some spices added int the mix) C.

WOULD I GO BACK
Sure. For a Cuban, and a beer.

• Visited January 2013
Gainesville, Florida
“Yummy food, nice location, slow, slow service....”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Food at Carmine's is great, the service is nice but very, very slow. Really enjoyed the classic Cuban sammy and the devil crab...tasty mojitos! You will like it, just be prepared for some waiting, not because the place is busy, but because the service stinks.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank margozinha1
Suwanee, Georgia
“It's about the food....”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Visited Ybor City and wanted Cuban!

Stopped into Carmines, not much to say about the interior, mostly just seats, and we were taken to a darker area near the back....

However, I had the traditional pressed hot Cuban all the way, my wife had the Cuban roast pork sandwich, both along with a draught of Ybor Gold brew and they were outstanding!

The sandwiches were large, prepared correctly (of course), and we left full and satisfied.

Again, not much atmosphere, but when you're hungry and know what you want, it works.

• Visited January 2013