“Labor of love”

Trang Viet Cuisine
Ranked #568 of 2,477 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I really get the feeling when I eat here that the owner works hard to keep the restaurant clean and the food delicious. He is from Vietnam and still goes back there to buy his coffee beans. This restaurant is one of the few places in the area that offers pages of vegan and vegetarian choices. The cucumber salad is delicate and fresh. The vegetarian dumplings with cabbage are crispy and remind me of soul food. Tofu in tomato sauce is fresh, sweet and light. My husband likes the meat based dishes. There are giant bowls of soup containing everything in the kitchen and kept hot with candles. There is pickled lemonade and Vietnamese coffee. My favorite dessert here is mung bean pudding with coconut tapioca. It's a simple atmosphere inside an unimpressive strip mall, but it's obvious that a lot of pride and hard work go into what they do.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is by far the best Vietnamese restaurant in the Bay area. We have been there many times and never been disappointed with lunch or dinner. Service has always been great very helpful with any special needs requested. Been going there since they were Little Saigon on North Armenia so that make about 30 yrs and still going. Thank you Trang for a great experience and PLEASE open in south Tampa.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Arrived at this delicious restaurant after slogging through the tripadvisor travel app....we were not disappointed.

Ok, It's in a strip mall, and it has basic furniture, but it's very clean and the menu is giant with something for everyone!

Really, if you can't find something on this menu whether it be beef, chicken, fish, shellfish, veggies, or vegan than there is something seriously wrong. Prices are mid range, and the portions for most menu items are large, and well prepared.

A nice big Pho or 'noodle soup' with meat or fish is the perfect soup to start your 'Vietnamese eating adventure at this very good restaurant. It is served perfectly with mung bean sprouts, fresh basil, and lime on the side.

You can build from there from the massive menu (it's a little overwhelming to be honest). Tom Chua (Hue Sour Shrimp) was excellent but skip the shrimp salad on the app menu...tasted good, but very small shrimp and 2 pieces of lettuce.

Nem Ran or Cha Gio (fried spring roll) was excellent. We had the meat and vegan option. Vegan got a big thumbs up from my teenage daughter.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have always enjoyed this place. I used to eat there when I was a vegan and now that i am back to my omnivorous diet I still enjoy it. They have an amazing vegan cheesecake. The decor does leave a bit to be desired, sure, but I go there for the food and not for the ambiance.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

You CANNOT beat the lunch specials or the montly vegan buffet specials! Service is amazing and the food is even better -- I live 1,800 miles away and Trang is on my To-Visit list EVERY time I'm in town -- in fact, I schedule my visits around the buffet weekend! No one will go hungry -- this is positively delicious food!!