“Nothing special” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Colonnade - CLOSED

The Colonnade
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had lunch here after hearing about it from friends. It is very old school and traditional. Dark woods and nice view from windows looking out towards the water. We had a baby with us so they seated us in a side room but still next to the windows while seating almost everyone else in the main dining room. I do understand when especially when we have been disturbed by crying children before in restaurants. Our server was very nice and helpful. We had very good service. Our food was good - just nothing special. My companion's salad with grilled salmon was excellent. I enjoyed the grilled trout with vegetables and salad. I might return and try dinner, but was not overly impressed with the food. Also the place needs some updating in the decor. It feels warn and dated. By the way, the baby didn't make a sound all through lunch. She just sat smiling.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Brandon, Florida, USA
“Old Landmark Restaurant Continues to Deliver”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I recently revisited the Colonnade in Tampa and was pleased to see that this old standard continues to deliver a quality dining experience. First, the view of the Bay is terrific and really enhances the meal. However, it is the food that is the real star. Excellent Florida menu with solid Southern leanings. Try the fried green tomatoes or the mammoth fried onion rings. Any of the fish dishes will please. Don't forget this old standard. It continues to earn a loyal and satisfied dining following.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Take a walk on Bayshore Blvd w/ a fish sanwich from McDonalds & you'll better off!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

To say we'll never go back doesn't do this review justice. We had a 630 reservation, arrived @ 625 & didn't get seated until 650. Twenty more minutes after we seated we had drinks...we didn't even order anything from the bar! Our entire party had waters, sodas & tea!!! I have a wheat allergy so I called ahead to make sure they had a gluten-free menu, and they did. I ordered GF French onion soup & the menu said to specify when ordering "no bread." I told the server I was GF & "no bread" in my soup. She said, "Oh there's no bread in French onion soup." What?? Since when? When my soup got to the table guess what was floating in it...a big fat piece of bread! It took 20 MORE minutes before she came back to the table to check on us and I sent it back to the kitchen. Our meal was FINALLY delivered to the table at 820 (nearly 2 hours after our reservation) and THREE more dishes were sent back. I NEVER send food back to the kitchen-I'm not the kind of diner & usually don't have issues, but FOUR things went back in one dinner!!!!

My daughter order the kids chopped steak cooked medium, and it actually came out charred. We sent it back and asked again for one cooked "medium", and it came back bloody & raw in the middle. The manager was so embarrassed she immediately took it back and asked if we wanted a third steak to come out (really??? It's 9pm!!) so we said no and she brought my daughter ice-cream instead. Sadly enough even the ice-cream was only "okay." I got one of their signatures dishes, the blackened grouper, and it was not cooked all the way thru, either. At market price I should have sent it back, too, but I was so disgusted and over it I just wanted to go home. My son never got the side dish with his kids meal, two other adults in our party got the wrong sides, and the only thing the manager had to say was "Sorry we have a large party here tonight." Uh, no. We watched as five other tables around us came in after us, got their food, paid their bill and LEFT and we still had no food. The server also took my glass once my food came and never came back with a drink for me the rest of the night. The view is beautiful and it the restaurant is a Tampa landmark, but seriously, DON'T eat here for the view. It is old, smelly, disgusting, and has bad service. McDonald's is seriously nasty, but you'd STILL enjoy your dinner more by taking a walk on Bayshore with a McDonald's fish sandwich, and you'll save a ton of money, too. The worst part is I had out-of-state family visiting and this was their "Welcome to Tampa" dinner.

• Visited October 2013
Tampa, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dependable Food and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

For a pleasant afternoon/evening of dining the Colonade is the spot in Tampa! Great view, drinks, and food. When I ordered the Tropical Charbroiled Shrimp the sauce served with it was perfect. It complimented the shrimp, and did not over power it. After your meal, when you leave, you'll be thinking of what you will be ordering when you return -- because you will want to come back.

• Visited September 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Colonnade, A Historic Landmark”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

The great part is, yes, it is a landmark. What a fantastic view!
The worst part is the outdated atmosphere-- update and redecorate, starting with the carpet. Come on, this place could market to all ages and join the new century with some basic updates.
I always enjoy the food.It is classic Southern fried seafood Last time, the server was borderline rude, but I drew her out with kindness and she was fine. I would guess that the servers deal with large groups and are somewhat jaded. Some refresher training would help.
Management and owners: please read and heed. Market to all ages, train your staff and redecorate!

• Visited March 2013