“Decent food, marginal service”
Review of The Colonnade - CLOSED

The Colonnade
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Food: good, but nothing to rave about
Service: we found ourselves having to wait for extended periods of time
Price: not unreasonable, but prepare to shell out more than you might expect for a meal of this caliber
Location: nice views by the window

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Try the pecan crusted trout, the pecan pie and the daily specials. This place has been around forever and is a mainstay in South Tampa. It is a lovely Bayshore Drive location.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Look I'm going to be honest. I am a young African American male from Atlanta and came to this place with my wife to have dinner. THE FOOD WAS SOOO BASIC (dry etc....) IT WAS NOTHING BUT OLD PEOPLE AND A OLD DRY ENVIRONMENT. Please don't be like me and fall for the view of the water. This place is terrible!!!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Went with friends that raved about this restaurant, and lets say that I didn't tell them how I felt about the place in their presence. I started my adventure with a virgin daiquiri served in a shattered glass. (Returned for a Sprite so I could see the integrity of the glass). Service started fine, but went down hill once the order was taken. Took a long time to get the main dish and when it arrived, the conch soup was lukewarm bordering on cold, the meat and fish dishes overcooked and the baked potato tortured to a dried crisp. The rice pilaf was like nothing I have ever tried and not in a good way. Cole slaw tasted vinegary. The only thing that was delicious were the mini muffins they give you at the beginning of your meal. Even the cruise ship we watched take off from the Tampa port wasn't enough to distract from the bad meal. Wouldn't recommend at all to anyone. Don't waste your time or money on a restaurant that in it's time maybe was good, but now has nothing going for it.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've lived in Tampa practically my whole life. So, I know the Colonnade is a Tampa institution. I decided to take my mother there for her 70th birthday. I read all the reviews and decided it couldn't be that bad.

Now, I remember this restaurant from when I was a kid and I've been there a couple times in my 20s and 30s. Upon entering the restaurant, I was surprised to see that it has not changed one bit. And, that's not really a good thing. The entrance is dark and uninviting. The woman at the front desk seemed less than enthused. There were fresh flowers on a table but they were pretty much almost dead.

Our hostess sat us at a table by the window as I asked. The place seemed clean and there was no "fishy" smell you get in some seafood restaurants. The decor has literally not changed in 30 years. Same tables, chairs, etc. Our waiter came over and took our order immediately. Very nice man. He suggested the crab dip as an appetizer which was good. I, my sister, and mother, ordered fried fish. Some dishes came with fried shrimp and scallops. It looked good, but unfortunately, there really was no taste to it. I almost thought some of it looked like it could have been previously frozen. There was no seasoning on anything. I was so disappointed.

Well, now I know. You can't go back. The Colonnade needs a makeover.