“Brunch is worth the money”
Review of Oystercatchers

Oystercatchers
Reserve with OpenTable
Oystercatchers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 2,430 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Courtney Campbell Cswy / SR 60/Exit Bayport Dr.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've been to Oystercatchers a coupple of times now, and just went for brunch for the first time. We went for Mother's Day so it was a little pricey-er (normally $50/person and it was $75/person) but as long as you go with an emplty stomach it is worth it! The food was all fresh and they had everything you could imagine - breakfast foods, omlete station, carving station, oysters, crab legs, tons of different types of salads, sushi, and an entire room for dessert! Everything I ate was amazing and didn't have that "buffet taste". The service was wonderful too. Our server never let our champagne glasses get below half full, so we definitely had a great time ;) Brunch includes bottomless mimosas, bloody mary's (multiple kinds), and sangira.

If you go for a regular meal I highly reccommend the ahi tuna with edamame....amazing! Also once you're done with your meal go outside and hangout by the firepit with a cocktail and just enjoy the gorgeous views.

There are newer reviews for Oystercatchers

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Three of us went to the Mother's Day Brunch at Oyster Catcher's at the Grand Hyatt and there were things I loved and things I was disappointed with. Loves: The service -- everyone we interacted with was just fantastic. Really, really lovely. The seating -- we all smoke (it's bad for me? Really???) and the lower deck where we could eat and puff and talk and talk and talk was wonderful -- it overlooked the bay with the hotel's tiny man-made beach. Disappointments: Food --I don't think anyone has enormously high standards for a buffet brunch. With tip, our bill was $280 and the so-so food in no way contradicted or confounded our low expectations. The Rush: We were given the very last available brunch seating (4:45) and as we lounged about (I think I was swapping time and space for the food in my calculation of the brunches value), we watched everything close up around us around 6:00. The food stopped. The desserts stopped. The drinks stopped. And then a nice young valet brought us our car keys. Good night Gracie.

1  Thank erowe11
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Hidden gem. The food is great but the views and the privacy are amazing. Its by the Hyatt but the drive to the restaurant is a long a road that is covered with trees and you will see a lot of rabbits along the way.
Have dinner or sunday brunch then sit outside to enjoy the view. Once youre done you can walk a long the roadway that brought you to the restaurant as there are boardwalks that lead out over the water where you get beautiful views and end at gazebos.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I took my wife to Brunch at Oystercatchers for Mothers' Day. I had read that it was one of the top 3 Sunday brunches in the Tampa Bay area so I thought we'd give it a try. I had called and made reservations for 2pm. We arrived promptly at the appointed time and were told there was a wait for tables. I asked "Even with a reservation? How long of a wait?" 2-5 minutes would be OK but I was told about 15 minutes. There was no place to sit and the only room to stand was next to the bar in the middle of a main aisle. It was extremely crowded, very loud, and I guess the best way to describe the overall atmosphere was "chaotic". One chair was available so I had my wife sit there and the bartender brought her a mimosa. Limitless champagne and Bloody Marys were advertised as included but I declined anything at the time.

Fortunately, the host came by less than 5 minutes after we arrived at the bar and said our table was ready. We had a lovely window seat for two overlooking the bay. It was a very nice view. My wife wanted another mimosa and I was ready for my Bloody Mary so we thought we'd just order it from the server when he arrived to bring water and greet us. After waiting about 10 minutes, I flagged a server down and by luck, he was our server. I asked for a mimosa for my wife and a Bloody Mary for myself. He could get the mimosa and water for us but told me I'd have to go to the bar to get my drink. I thought that was very odd but I said OK and informed him it was our first time here and asked if he could tell us a little about the brunch. I should note that he seemed in quite a hurry throughout our conversation. He explained where some of the stations (breakfast, dinner, dessert) were but told us that everything was marked. The service left us bewildered but thought we'd explore and I'd order my drink at the bar.

We browsed through all the various offerings at the different tables and everything looked wonderful. We made it back to the bar where we started and I told the same bartender that I would have my drink now and ordered a Bloody Mary. She told me they were at the Bloody Mary bar. Do you ever feel like you're just not getting the whole story sometimes? This was one of those times for me. She finally explained that I had to go to the corner of the room where everything was set up and serve myself. OK, now I'm in the know but it was rather painful getting there.

We spent the next two hours enjoying each other's company although it was loud enough most of the time where we couldn't always hear each other very well. The food was good and was the above average part of my review. It's hard to keep things fresh and flavorful when they've been sitting over Sturno burners for a long time. However, the cold seafood & caviar, the salads, and the carved meat were all very, very good. Even the duck breast was satisfactory for something that had been sitting in the serving dish being heated for some time. My wife wanted lobster bisque so I retrieved a cup for her. It seemed way too thick and a bit lumpy. She said it was mediocre and agreed it was way too thick.

The desserts were sparse. They offered bananas foster, which I obtained for my wife who said it was very good. There was a small selection of cakes, a light mousse in an edible white chocolate bowl, a very bland, rubbery panna cotta, and a number of cookies and sweets clearly presented with the children in mind. There were even bins of hard candy and other children's selections. Overall, not the skill and abundance I'm used to seeing at the pricier brunches.

At $147 (minus tip) for the two of us, I was less than impressed. The service was poor and I got the sense that all of the servers were very rushed, which has been mentioned in other reviews. The staff seemed very impressed with the fact, and told us a number of times, they took 700 reservations on this day (their words - not mine). They were definitely more interested in turning over tables than seeing to our satisfaction. As I mentioned before, it was loud and chaotic. There were too many undisciplined children and even young teens running loose. One young teenage male (in shorts) at the table next to me had gone unescorted to the sushi table and came back with a heaping plate full of California rolls that had to have been at least 15 pieces. Of course, much of it went in the trash since he took a couple of pieces and was finished. OK, ill mannered young diners with clueless parents in upscale dining venues is a story for another time...

Much of the food was very good. Some of it was old and tired and the desserts were unimpressive.

Would I come back to Mothers' Day Sunday brunch again? Absolutely not! Would I come back to Sunday brunch again? No. Would I come back for dinner some evening? Quite possibly. I'd be very interested to see what the service and cuisine is like on a Friday or Saturday evening. I like to be fair in my reviews and I can honestly say that I would give them one more try. Just not for brunch... Stay tuned.

1  Thank reiddg
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Because of its out of the way location, Oystercatchers is probably off the radar for many visitors to the Tampa Bay area. This is unfortunate since the bay view is as nice as any beach or intercoastal restaurant view in Clearwater/StPete/Tampa. Located on the Grand Hyatt property, this out of the way seafood restaurant serves locally sourced seafood with impeccable service. Every table has a spectacular view of Tampa Bay. We had Mahi and Snapper blackened along with some of the best calamari and shrimp cocktail I have ever had. I've lived in Florida my entire life so this is quite an endorsement! My only disappointment was the oysters, which were freshly shucked and delicious but mangled; this rendered them less appetizing than the other presentations.

Been to Oystercatchers? Share your experiences!