“Helpful tips for Wright's gourmet house”

Wright's Gourmet House
Ranked #2 of 2,368 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Tampa, Florida
“Helpful tips for Wright's gourmet house”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

If you haven't been to Wright's you are missing out. This place is a Tampa institution. Here are some tips to help you...
1- unlike other famous deli's that are more about the name than the food Wright's is all about the food. Deli sandwiches and fabulous desserts are the fare here yet it is anything but standard. Try the turkey or beef martini and you may be hooked for life! All the sandwiches are great and enough to share.
2: save room for dessert or you will be sorry. The cupcakes are mini versions of their amazing cake creations and simply can't be missed.
3: don't overlook the salads etc as these are tasty too
4: BE PREPARED TO WAIT . Especially if you come at lunch time as the line will be out the door but it will still be worth it.
5: parking can be an issue but be sure you do not park in the retail center nearby or you will be towed

Enjoy!

3 Thank thehelpfuldad

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Oh, sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

That's a Young Frankenstein quote, for those of you who don't watch good movies.

Maybe the best sandwich place I've been to in Tampa? If not, its one of them. I have to go to all the others again for a quick comparison, but I'm not that hungry at the moment.

My girlfriend, in her genius, found this for us. We arrived at 2PM on a Saturday afternoon, and they were packed, line out the door. Piece of advice - since this place is apparently always busy, call in your order for pick up.

Anyway, she showed me some of the sandwiches on the menu as we were driving up and I almost destroyed her phone by drooling all over it. There were so many I wanted to try, but in the end, I had to go with the cuban since it's apparently a Tampa Tribune 6 time all Tampa cuban sandwich winner.

Look, I don't know if it was the best cuban I ever had, but I've had some sub-par cubans since moving to SW Florida, and some really good ones, and this definitely falls in the really good one ledger. Sandwich was good size, thick, with real pork (not sliced deli meat) and a delicious mustard. Cuban bread was very good, too. They do say it can take 15 minutes, but mine was ready in half that time. Make sure you order it pressed.

I also got a side of cole slaw - also good, though a little too much mayo.

My girlfriend got a veggie sandwich on pumpernickel. This thing was huge - may as well have been 2 sandwiches. She'll tell you about hers in her review, but she really liked it.

The one drawback was the red velvet cupcake. It wasn't good. The cake itself was good enough, but there was some kind of almond butter or extract in the icing which killed it. Maybe you like almonds in your desserts, but I hate nuts in my desserts. I can stand a sprinkling of nuts on a sundae or in a brownie (I won't be happy about it, but I'll eat it). This had some chopped almonds on top, which we removed, but when we bit into the icing, it had a very strong almond taste to it like, again, they used too much extract or something. It killed it for both of us, and there was no need for it. The icing without that along with the cake probably would have been fantastic. Amazing how one wrong ingredient can destroy an otherwise good dish.

Anyway, I'll be back - no doubt about that - there's at least 5 other sandwiches I want to try. However, if I have dessert again, I think I'll stick with the cookies.

• Visited January 2014
Miami
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

This place came highly recommended from a co-worker who used to live in Tampa. Great choice... glad we made the time to stop in while in town. Wright's thin sliced deli sandwiches on fresh bread with just the right amount of everything... delicious! And the homemade cakes... to die for. Loved it! Would definitely have to make a stop back in nex time we're in town.

• Visited December 2013
Sarasota, Florida
“Hard to rate”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I say this is hard to rate because you want to give it a great waiting. People seem to love it and not mind standing in line starting at 11am every day for 20 minutes to get their food. They have an attractive menu with typical deli sandwiches. I feel the meat such as turkey, roast beef, other deli is just typical meat you could get anywhere. It isnt like they make fresh turkey and alice it off the bone. To me that is what truly makes an outstanding deli and Wrights does not. They use Deli meat like any publix or sub shop. Their bread is always fresh and tasty. The Reubens taste great even with the standard deli meat inside. Their homemade salads like shrimp, cole slaw, etc are above average. Their soup is average. Their dessert cakes are delicious. The chocolate and the coconut cake is excellent. Overall due to not using homemade deli meat, has to be average. Someties hard to find a table after you get your food and you end up standing there like a fool holding your heavy tray (mine always has cake sandwich, soda, etc) and it is hard to stand and wait for someone to get up.
The amount of people there each day is incredible and it makes you feel like youre in a great Deli while the actual quality is just average for the most part.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank chuck p
Tampa, Florida
“Good Stuff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I enjoyed a ham and cheese with all the fixins. The family enjoyed their various choices. My MIL said the chocolate cupcake was yummy. I found it to be good, but not anything to make any out of the way trip to eat again.

• Visited November 2013

Been to Wright's Gourmet House? Share your experiences!