“Great Deli”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We love eating here and its a great place for family. Love the sandwiches and the shrimp pasta salad. The cakes are amazing!
The staff are always friendly and very accomodating to all your needs.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

As a Tampa resident who has traveled all over the world, I can say from experience that Wright's Gourmet makes the best cakes in the world. My favorites are the chocolate and the red velvet, but they're all good. You can get a whole cake, a slice or a cupcake version. They also make really, really good sandwiches.

My recommendation if you're going to get sandwiches is that you call in and get them to go. Give them about a 20 minute head start, and you can skip the ridiculously long order line and go straight to the cash register line. Trust me, the atmosphere is no great shakes, so you don't need to eat your sandwich there. Get it to go, take it to a park or home or your hotel room.

Seriously - the best cake in the world.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Wright's cakes are absolutely the BEST in the Tampa Bay area! They have several different flavors but our favorite is the carrot cake! Every restaurant we eat at in Tampa always tries to tell us that their carrot cake is the best and we always ask, "As good or better than Wright's?" If the waiter has tried it, they laugh and agree that no one can even compare to how moist, delicious, and amazingly yummy it is. All of their cakes are cooked to moisture perfection. They even make all of the cake flavors into cupcakes for a tiny serving without having to buy the entire cake. They are great too! The coconut cream pie is to die for. Just divine. Very thick with tons of coconut flavor. mmmmm. Their pumpkin pie is great during season. Their apple pies are amazing. We buy all of our pies for holidays here. I don't even bother going through the trouble of trying to make them anymore. Their turkey salad is yummy and not over filling. I have tried a few of their sandwiches before having to eat gluten free, and I LOVED all of them. They do tend to get very very busy during lunch hours and standing in line to order can get hectic. I suggest an early or a later lunch. They do have a call ahead service as well. If you love cakes and pies, try theirs. You will be happy you did.

1  Thank jaworld
Reviewed August 24, 2012

this is a bakery / deli --- that offers by the slice or full cake/pie portions. they have an incredible lunch time deli menu and the Ruben sandwiches are amazing. Fresh, well prepared and absolutely wonderful mixture of tastes. The pecan pie, lemon pie and banana are all fantastic. And that is where my praise ends.

The counter service sucks ! You get in line to get order placed and then you may or may not get your order back, or someone elses or none at all. Waited 45 mins for a cold sandwich, then the gal who was serving me disappeared (later found out she went on her break), order was re-ordered and I waited another 15 mins. I was with a group of 4 other business colleagues - who had a mixed bag of times for their food, so I couldn't just bail on the group. Finally food came and I got it to go instead (the cashier smacked her lips at me when I asked for a box or bag) - "why didn't you tell the counter it was to go ??" (( Really, Really ??!!! I would have ---- if i knew it was going to take 1 hr and 10 mins for a turkey sandwich and a piece of pie !!! ))

Another negative - the shop is small and the folks who visit are a mix of locals, business people and tourists ---- the day we went, a large group of 3-5 year olds were running amuck -- and two kids came up to the table and pulled food right off of our plates ! Not restaurant's fault --- but beware of the lack of (local) parenting skills.

Sooooo. My recommendation --- get the online menu and order in advance for take out !!!!! the food IS amazing and the dessert DEVINE, but the shop is small cramped and not ideal for ordering in house (between 10a - 2 pm).

Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Never been here before, but local recommended it. The menu can be a nit overwhelming . I suggest grabbin one of the printed menus (near the beginning of the ordering line and stepping back to peruse it). I ordered the club and the lady behind the counter asked if it was okay to wrap up half of it to go. I was hungry so I said no. She then showed me the sandwich (massive!) and I concurred she should wrap up half. Sandwich was delicious and also got a cup of their couscous salad to split with a friend. We ate there At 2:00 pm on a Monday and t was busy. I was very impressed with the food .

Things to know: if you are in a hurry, avoid toasted sandwiches. As noted on their menu, it can take up to 15 minutes.
You will probably have leftovers. They have a self-serve station with plastic wrap and " doggie bags " so you won't have to waste anything.