“Train wreck.”

Donatello Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Donatello Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 2,477 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: J.F. Kennedy Blvd
Transit: Bus 36 stops in front of the restaurant.
Description: Guido and Gino Tiozzo welcome you to Donatello, a four star restaurant serving Fine Authentic Italian Cuisine since 1984. Guido learned his trade at Savoy Hotel in London and Hotel des Bergues in Geneve, two of the top restaurants in Europe. With the acquired experience he opened restaurants in London and Venice. In 1984 he opened Donatello, in Tampa. Take a tour of a traditional Italian restaurant and step inside Donatello: stucco arches, tapestries, gold-leaf ceiling tiles, bouquets of roses on every table, everything contributes to create a feeling of warmth and romance. The Italian staff, donning fine tuxedos and enticing accents, welcome you into the rose colored atmosphere and the rich aromas of pastas, seafood and more. You'll be welcomed and catered to from the first sip of wine to the exquisite culinary creations, right down to the roses you'll receive at the end of your experience. Donatello’s motto is “quality and tradition”. Hospitality in Italy has ancient roots.
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Wifey and I made a reservation for a good ol' Italian Christmas Eve....it went South from there. It took nearly 5 minutes for us (and the couple in front of us) to be greeted. Mr. Donatello (I guess) gave the old school euro charm to the wife with a couple of cheek kisses and sent us to the bar. About 45 minutes later and after multiple parties were sat in front of us, I complained and we were met with "I'm sorry...I'm a little confused....we're overbooked." SERIOUSLY??? We sat and ordered a bottled water...they were out. I explained my displeasure and MIRACULOUSLY 2 bottles of water (opened) arrived. We had our drink, looked at available restaurants, and headed home for late night eggs benedict. Entertaining in hindsight, but what an absolute mess. A nearby table of regulars called it a "train wreck of an evening." That's an understatement- especially on a holiday.

1  Thank JeffFlorida

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Our total tab was $432.00 for 5 people. Food was good, not great, portions small. Our waiter was arrogant, not friendly or helpful, sometimes we felt rushed (still looking at the menu & they came asking for our order a couple of times). restaurant was pretty empty, didnt even need reservations. I called ahead to alert of birthday celebration (they said they had it taken care of), but they never addressed it at all like they never heard of it. The 2 desserts we ordered had more whip cream then actual cake.Minestrone soup (14.00) had only cabbage, carrot slices & 1 potato, bowl was filled with broth.The agnolotti had such a small amount of filling, it covered the size of a fingernail. Asparagus side dish was 13.00 & there were 9 very thin spears. On a positive note, our water glass was always filled, thanks to the busboy and the lighting was pleasant.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Wonderful meal from beginning to end. It's tough for a restaurant to hit every dish well, but Donatello's does it with ease. My only concern was with the service timing of the appetizers. I put this restaurant on par with the quality of Berns.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We went to Donatello's because a gift certificate was given to us by my former boss when I retired. We recently moved to Florida, and he had heard that Donatello's was a very good restaurant.
I must begin my review by prefacing it with the fact that I am from the northeast, specifically NE PA, where there are numerous excellent Italian restaurants, both northern & southern Italian cuisine, at reasonable prices.
Donatello's was definitely overpriced, and, I felt, did not meet the caliber of northern Italian food I have had in PA. We sat at the bar before being seated and ordered a martini & a manhattan. The bar bill was $24.61 for 2 drinks! Wow! No wonder we were the only customers seated at the bar.
They actually has lobster thermidor on the menu for $89.00. We both ordered veal dishes as that is what I usually order in restaurants serving northern Italian cuisine. They were $29.99 each, but nothing to write home about.
Where Donatello's excels is the ambiance. The place was lovely and the service was impeccable. However, while I enjoy ambiance, I go out to eat primarily for the food, and I didn't think that Donatello's was at all equal to its prices.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The atmosphere was charming, the host and waitstaff welcoming and very accommodating. Arrived early and enjoyed some time at the bar before a very nice dinner. Opera Tampa provided singers who serenaded us with beautiful arias on this special evening which added to the ambiance. A bit pricier than most for pasta dishes, but the food was very good.