“Mediocre at best”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My sister is from Tampa and dines out frequently. We choose Ichiban since my family wanted to eat sushi. I ordered the beef teriyaki which was an undercooked strip with sauce splashed on top. I was looking for more of a wok stir fried option. Soup and salad was not good. Smell in back room was moldy and of something else I would prefer not to analyze. This place has been here for years and very popular, maybe I visited on a bad night?

Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is a great place for fresh sushi and fast service. I have been going here for 18 years and love it each time.

Very casual, not fancy..run by a wonderful family. Lunch specials especially the box lunches are terrific..dinner menu

also has a great variety to choose from.

Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

As a regular customer now reconciled with traditional sushi I must recommend this place.
Lunch is definitely a great value with their lunch boxes for about $8 and plenty of fresh food.
I've been there on many occasions and I know who prepares my food depending on the taste. The volcano roll which is a California topped with a delicious mix is one of my favorites but quite filling.
The waitresses know us now and even hugg us when we leave ... I think she likes our kids or maybe just the tip..:)
In any case Ichiban has been there for a long time and has become the place to go when we say "let's have sushi tonight".
Nothing fancy but good, fresh and reliable quality. Try the tuna martini, it's quite a treat !

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We went with a small group of friends a few weeks ago. We were greater warmly and seated quickly but the ordering and receiving food was very slow. In fact we sat there almost an hour after ordering our food waiting for everything to come out. The food delivery was sporadic so a few of us sat waiting while others who ordered at the same time were served first. The food was good but overall We were not impressed.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

Ichiban has been serving sushi forever. They still get a lot of things right.

Atmosphere. - Excellent. It feels like a special place. Several rooms including a traditional private room with low table and cushions instead of Western Table and chairs. This place is tucked into a plaza near USF. There are actually a whole bunch of interesting eateries in the same plaza. 9 times out of 10 I go to Ichiban.

The food is excellent. The lunch boxes are outstanding value and very well prepared. The dinner boxes the same, particularly the early bird specials. I would say that Ichiban has the best lunch deals of any sushi restaurant in Tampa. Not just good value but really excellent preparation and presentation.

One negative that pertains much more to dinner than lunch. The service is often slow. I mean really slow. Not a place to grab a quick bite for dinner. It won't happen.

Again, this is a place that has a ton of regulars that have been coming to for years. The owners generally remember the regular customers and seem genuinely happy to see us. Their chefs are excellent and they do prepare some unique and unusual rolls. Frankly I've never had anything off of the dinner menu and probably won't. Not going to mess with a good thing.