“Amazing food! Amazing service! Totally worth the cost. Go at happy hour--waiter was amazing.”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 2,461 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: N Manhattan Avenue
Reviewed July 10, 2014

So I have only ever been to the ones in Hawaii or California but I was SO impressed with the Aloha Menu in the Tampa location and also with my service. I was here for a business trip so I was by myself and decided to sit at the chef's bar area for the Aloha hour. My waiter, Clay, was the BEST. He was so attentive despite having a ton of other customers for Aloha hour. I am the type to have a million questions regarding should I get this or that and he was always helpful with suggestions. This is the first time I have done "Aloha hour" at Roy's and it was packed with local professionals but such a good deal. A ton of their favorite drinks, wines, and appetizers, all for around $7 a piece. I usually get the butterfish entree, but instead due to happy hour and Clay's recommendations I tried the Lobster Potstickers (good, but not as good as G.W. Fins in New Orleans), Butterfish Lettuce wraps (AMAZING!!) and Tuna Poke (also excellent). It was so awesome to sit and watch the chefs prepare everything. I would now try many of the other things just from watching them be prepared. For drinks I had the Sauvignon Blanc which was good and the Hummingbird which was a sparkling wine and Elderflower Liquer drink which was probably the best I have had. Clay was the best waiter I have had in a very long time. Also, management came by to check on my experience which was a nice touch. I will definitely be back, not only to this location next time I am in town, but also to other Roy's locations.

1  Thank sarahill

Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We have been Roy's fans for years, however, our last visit left something to be desired and I'm not sure we will be rushing back.

We had a reservation and had requested a booth. The hostess advised there were not any booths available and sat us at a table on the busy walkway to the kitchen and near...an empty booth. M'kay.

That aside I must say the other eyebrow raiser was the smell of dirty dish rags. I have am extremely sensitive sniffer, I will admit to that, but the bottom line is that if I can detect the smell it's still going to turn me off.

The food - it was fine but nothing really blew my hair back. They do have some new menu items created by the chef but the main menu is simply tired. Same old choices that have been there since we started coming years ago. I had the lobster pot pie and while it was tasty, it came to the table BLAZING HOT and therefore took about 15 minutes to cool off. So my husband tried to stall on his meal while the temperature of mine stabilized, and it was simply...annoying. They've gotta figure out a way to serve something like that without it coming out like scorching hot lava.

Service was a highlight however. I believe we had Christy and she was friendly and knowledgeable.

Overall I simply wasn't impressed. The decor and menu are tired, the hostess needed a brush up on customer service and the meal was less than stellar. Take your hard earned money across the street to Ocean Prime if you want a fine dining experience.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We got together for a quick nice dinner and that is what we got. We sat in the bar area for the Happy Hour menu which was very nice and a lot to choose from. We had the burger which is one of the best I have ever eaten out, sushi which was great (we ordered 2 of those), and the crab cakes.

1  Thank HenryA_Macon_GA
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We went with our dear friends this past Saturday to celebrate my friends retirement. For the positive, the servers were awesome, very thoughtful and attentive. They took pictures and presented them to us to honor my friends celebration, very nice touch. We had some sushi rolls for an appetizer that were delicious. I had the filet and lobster tail, by far, the best lobster I have EVER had, extremely tender and tasty. My husband had the braised ribs which he said were very good but an extremely small portion. they definitely need to offer larger portions of food, especially for the price. Our only complaint was that the restaurant was very noisy. It was actually hard to hear each other at our table in the corner. We will definitely try again in the future.

1  Thank Lunagonzalez
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We went to Roy's as a group. Despite the fact that the menu was previously defined, the food was great. Room is big which leads to some noise. Maybe could be quieter in different conditions. Great place to try.

Been to Roy's? Share your experiences!