“Hawaiian and Seafood Fusion Never Tasted So Grand”
Review of Roy's

Roy's
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 2,417 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: N Manhattan Avenue
Clearwater, Florida
“Hawaiian and Seafood Fusion Never Tasted So Grand”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I had tried to eat at Roy's on an earlier trip to Tampa only to find that it was closed for lunch that day. There was just something too tempting to resist about a Hawaiian fusion theme ranked so high in TripAdvisor. Don't let the name fool you. A title like Roy's can be misleading in its almost diner-esque feel but the entrees in this place are pure nirvana and the restaurant has a classy ambience from its dark interior, to the large wine collections that adorne the interior walls. This is a terrific place to take a date but I could also see it easily enjoyed by families and business partners. The smell of delicious caramelised seafood and meats greeted me upon entry as well as the comforting sights of a large sushi bar and impressive wine collection. We tried a little bit of everything on our visit from a delicious tuna sashimi poke appetizer to the excellent Hawaiian martinis and closed with a fresh and tasty pineapple dessert... but the highlight of the evening was the main dish of Hawaiian Style Misoyaki Butterfish. It can only be described as a dish that melts in your mouth after the tedious marination process it was put through as described by our exemplary server, Matt. We had ordered two dishes off the "From the Sea" menu and while my woman had a tasty spicy tuna concoction in front of her, without her speaking a word, the server recognized her disappointment when tasting it compared to her nibble of my butterfish plate and very quickly replaced her dish with the same from my order without a second thought or charge. I see some of the few lower star reviews for this restaurant were mainly centered on the sushi selection. There are a million sushi joints in this country, and while one of Roy's creative sushi rolls might make a good appetizer, you're cheating yourself if you don't order one of their delicious and creative fish entrees. The only drawback of this place is the price. We spent close to two hundred dollars after tax and tip but keep in mind we had the full deal including appetizer, dessert, several mixed drinks and a generous tip. Roy's has a few locations in the States, mostly in more populated regions, but doesn't feel like your typical chain steak and seafood house, and I would without a doubt recommend it to anyone looking for something a little different on the taste buds that provides a memorable experience.

• Visited October 2012

Wilmington
“fanastic dining experience”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I went heere on the last night of our vacation, in Tampa Bay.
We were very impressed by the entire experience. The waitstaff were all very helpful and attentive, but not overbearing. The restaurant itself was warm and friendly.
But the best part was the food.! A feast for your eyes as well as your taste buds.
We both chose the scallops, which were perfectly seared and seasoned. It came with a warm pickled watermelon and spinich salad.
One of the top restaurants on our list.Will definately go back , if we are in the area, again.
A little pricey , but well worth it.

• Visited October 2012
“Best birthday dinner with my wife! 5-star quality.”
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I brought my wife to this Tampa location after reading reviews about it on Trip Advisor.com. The staff was extremely courteous, professional and really made my wife's birthday very special. On rare occasion at restaurants have I ever had so many members of staff attending to our orders and are overall dinner experience. I would definitely recommend this restaurant is anyone looking to have a great gormer dinner full of new flavors!!

“Hawaiian Fusion at its best”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

it was date night and we could not decide. FInally chose Roy's and are we glad we did. I would not say it is a spectacular ambiance, but it is appointed nice, with a nice view of teh wine cellar. Wait staff was on their "A" game and we mvoed through our meal without any issues. The management team checked on us twice to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. Interestingly, they asked if the 'FLAVORS' were to our liking.

My wife got the braised spare ribs and I got the pork chop. both came out with a great eye appeal and flavors that were outstanding. We also shared a twin peaks salad, which you have to get. This is a different twist on the "classic wdge", as they have seperated the blue cheese from the dressing, and added candied canadian bacon, which was awesome.

They have a very nice wine list and we enjoyed our selection. My wife started off with their famous Roy's Martini, which she rreally enjoyed as well.

We finished the meal with a nice coffee and you have to try the pineapple upside down cake. Wow is all that can besaid. It is made to order and you sould not miss out. Roy's is one of Tampa's hidden gems!

• Visited September 2012
Tampa, Florida
“One of My Favorite Spots in Tampa”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have been to Roy's three times and each visit was a wonderful experience! Other restaurants in the area should learn from this place because this is what a dining experience should be like every time! I have always felt appreciated which makes me want to return again.

My first visit was with a group of girls for a birthday. We had a nice long dinner, girl talk and lots of cocktails. The food was so amazing and the atmosphere pleasant that I knew I would be back.

The second visit was this past Father's Day. This was one f the most memorable dining experiences I have had in my 12 years in Tampa. ( Sure Bern's, Malio's, Ocean Prime etc are supposed to be a good night out for dinner but the customer service at Roy's is just on another level. A better one!)

I came for dinner with my husband and ten year old step daughter. My husband and I started out with Some Original Hawaiian Martinis which were great. The place was packed because of Fathers Day but there was plenty of staff and we got one on one attention the entire time. In wish I could remember our waiters name because he didn't break a sweat under pressure. After placing our order he brought out a small plate of cheese quesadilla's for my step daughter to snack on while we waited for the apps and mains. ( I thought maybe they were an app order that another table didn't want or maybe this was something they did on busy holidays but no! The next time we brought her here they did the same thing - a very nice touch!)

The dinner, of course, was amazing. I believe we each tried one of the mixed plates (Surf n Turf, Roys Trio or Shellfish Sampler) all awesome! The food is very fresh and not at all salty. I hate when restaurant food is super salty or tastes like it was previously frozen! Roys just gets it right.

During dessert the manager was going to each table to greet the customers. He came to our table to ask how dinner was going and handed us a a gift card for $20 to use on our next visit. Sure this may only get me a drink and a half but It was a very nice surprise added to our Fathers Day dinner.

A few weeks later we returned to use the gift card for our daughters birthday. When I called to make the reservation an hour in advance, they asked if we were celebrating a special occasion.
When we arrived, the table was decorated with balloon sequins all over the table. After dinner she was also given free dessert that said her name and happy birthday with candles. This was free along with her appetizer. We had some Lobster Dim Sum that was amazing. I had a mimosa made of champagne, pineapple juice, patron and sprinkles of cinnamon. This was one of the best drinks ever.

I am not waiting for a special occasion to make my next trip to Roys. The next time I have a bad
day- I may just stop in for a bite and a quick pick me up because the staff and atmosphere truly make you feel that special. I hope they keep up the good work. We could really use more places like this in Tampa.

• Visited July 2012

Been to Roy's? Share your experiences!