“Dessert Restaurant, Need I say More”

Harry Waugh Dessert Room at Bern's Steak House
Ranked #1 of 64 Dessert in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: One of the most famous, and popular, aspects of Bern's Steak House is its dessert room. Here guests can enjoy a leisurely and intimate end to their dining experience choosing from nearly 50 dessert choices to more than 1,000 dessert wines and spirits. The Harry Waugh Dessert Room was built as a tribute to Mr. Harry Waugh, an internationally known and respected wine connoisseur, director of Chateau Latour and good friend to Bern Laxer. Waugh's books and personal diaries on wine tasting are well known throughout the world.
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I have been here twice and I have had the best sundae ever twice. I will drive the extra hour from MCO to arrive in TPA just to go to this place for dessert. It is nestled in one of TPA finest steak houses, of which I have never eaten, and its mystery, history, and selection make this place one to never forget.

The homegrown ice cream loaded with hot macadamia nuts and homemade fudge along with a homemade waffle bowl is an experience I would like to relive on a weekly basis.

The first time I went I had no idea what I was doing. We were under dressed and out of place, but none the less, the hostess quickly pushed us to the second floor Harry W dessert room where we were greeted with some very friendly staff who explained the history behind this place. It is just all part of the experience and when it culminates with what is the best ice cream sundae, there is truly nothing more that I can say.

The second time we went a little too late and had to wait on a Saturday evening about 1.5 hours for my sundae. I thought for sure it would not be as good after having to wait so long. When i took the first bite, I knew that I had made the right decision to wait for what was another great dessert experience.

If only other places in the US were like this in regards to service, ambiance, and quality, many of us may enjoy a wonderful experience when eating dessert more frequently.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,094)

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Delicious fresh-made deserts along with a an enormous after dinner drink menu make the Henry Waugh room a must after dinner down stairs. Cozy boothes are a nice touch for couples.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Like Bern's Steak House, the Dessert Room is broken up into different rooms, and the room we were in was very romantic. It was all semi-circle booths, all of which had floor to ceiling walls and you couldn't see any of the other people, so it was like you had the place to yourself, except that the pianist kind of engages everyone so you know there are others out there. Huge menu of desserts, coffee drinks, and wines. I doubt there's anything on the menu I wouldn't have liked.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We so enjoyed our desserts and coffee in the Dessert Room. The Macadamia nut ice cream and chocolate covered mousse-type dessert were delicious. I was longing for affogatto. They did not have it on the menu, but produced it for me and it was delicious.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Nice place, different decorations and set up but nice enough for a family dinner. We enjoyed the dessert room the best.