“Heavenly food and atmosphere!”

Harry Waugh Dessert Room at Bern's Steak House
Ranked #1 of 64 Dessert in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: One of the most famous, and popular, aspects of Bern's Steak House is its dessert room. Here guests can enjoy a leisurely and intimate end to their dining experience choosing from nearly 50 dessert choices to more than 1,000 dessert wines and spirits. The Harry Waugh Dessert Room was built as a tribute to Mr. Harry Waugh, an internationally known and respected wine connoisseur, director of Chateau Latour and good friend to Bern Laxer. Waugh's books and personal diaries on wine tasting are well known throughout the world.
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

The "dessert room" at Berns Steakhoues is a slice of heaven. The tables are situated in their own little glass spaces and give a great ambience. The desserts are so incredible that there are no words to describe them. Favorites at the table were the chocolate cake with ice cream and fudge sauce, the grilled pineapple upside down cake, the peanut butter chocolate mousse item and the peach
melba. The ice cream is home made and crazy good.... Enjoy!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We've been told by many that this place is outstanding, so after many years we finally dined at Berns. Unfortunately, we were not crazy about it. The menu is confusing, my chicken was nothing to rave about, and our server was horrible. we were sat down for 15 minutes before anyone ever came to the table!! Thats just restaurant courtesy 101!!! Our server finally arrived and gave us just plain bad service. Because there was only two of us I guess that meant we weren't as important as the party of ten sitting behind us. They were treated as royalty and we felt like lepers. Very disappointed. I really wished I remembered his name so we can never have him again , if we ever come back that is.

2  Thank ValyGirl01
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed dessert after a meal at Bern's downstairs. Since we were pretty full, we each ordered the Cappuccino Bern's Steak House. It was delicious!!!! Coffee marinated in Kahului and other liqueurs and topped with vanilla ice cream. Yum!!!! We also ordered the sampler dessert platter so we tried five different offerings. Although I would never have ordered the King Midas, it was my favorite! Next time I will order the full size version. It was carrot cake topped with macadamia nut ice cream!!! We plan to take our daughters for dessert this month. Reservations are not accepted so we plan to arrive early in the evening to avoid waiting. The wine casks make for a terrific and private experience!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have been to the Dessert Room multiple times now, but on for my latest trip my husband and a friend hit up the Sidebern's happy hour then decided to go to the Dessert room afterwards. It was was the first time I had been without going to the steakhouse first. It was even better than usual because I wasn't super stuffed because all we had at Sidebern's were appetizers. We actually got to enjoy the sweet treats and the cheese plates without feeling like we were going to explode. If you've never been to Bern's a highly recommend doing the full steakhouse/dessert room experience, but the Dessert Room after a lighter meal elsewhere (or even a date night until itself) is a pretty great idea.

Tip: If you aren't going after a meal in the steak house, getting there before 9PM is a good idea. You'll beat the after dinner crowd and not have to wait as long.

1  Thank LMKruger
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Try the macadamia nut ice cream with hot fudge sauce, please excuse my vulgarity, but it is like a sweet and velvety, chocolate orgasm in your mouth. Your taste buds will not know what hit them. You may even scream Oh God!!!

The coffee may be the best coffee I've ever had in the USA

2  Thank Andrew M