“Delicious”

Ranked #435 of 2,450 Restaurants in Tampa
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I went to Big John's for lunch with a friend and it was packed therefore I would not recommend this place for lunch especially if you are in a hurry. But if you have some time it is a nice place to sit and enjoy some BBQ. It would be even nicer if they had tables outside. I ordered the rib dinner which was a decent price it came with two sides. The macaroni and cheese was delicious. I would go back just for the macaroni and cheese. The ribs were okay and I did not like the sauce so I recommend getting it on the side. My friend ordered the chicken dinner and she absolutely loved it. There were some flies inside but I guess thats to be expected. Also I believe there was a guy outside selling cd's or something of that nature which I thought was very odd.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Have been living in Tampa for 30 years and eating at Big John's for 25 years, at least. The new restaurant is very nice and inviting, but the draw is the BBQ -- still the best in town, lovingly crafted by family.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

The place is really meant for take-out although there are two tables in the open order area. You walk up to the counter & place your order. Even though we ate there, everything was served in styrofoam to-go plates. No atmosphere whats-so-ever. The food was good & the counter-people were friendly. They gave us a sample of the sausage since we'd never been there before. We ordered a slab of ribs, with two "pint" sides, macaroni & cheese and the beans. The ribs were a tangy bbq. They were good, but I've had better. The sides were okay too. We shared between the two of us and had plenty left over. $28 for the slab & two sides.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

I have eaten there for eons. I haven't been there since they rebuilt, need to get by for lunch soon.

It is a family owned place, and GREAT BBQ. Their pulled pork sandwich is a meal within itself. I have had their pork ribs also, very good. Can't think of anything bad to say about Big Johns.

Reviewed January 31, 2012

After seeing the review on Trip Advisor, I thought I would give it a try and it was not a disappointment!

I had the chopped BBQ with the mild sauce. It was excellent and portions was great. I also had the Mac & Cheese and Collard Greens. Nothing wrong with either. Both are homemade and had very good taste.

The service was great and staff very friendly for a stranger in town.

Try It....You'll LIke It!!!!!