“One of the top sushi places in Tampa, and points added for late night service”

Samurai Blue Sushi & Sake Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Samurai Blue Sushi & Sake Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #159 of 2,461 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Historic Ybor
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a pretty cool place. Lots of places in Ybor have great atmosphere provided there aren't any gang shootings going on in the vicinity. This sushi bar is in a tall brick building, so the ceilings are about 20-30 feet tall. Some booths for privacy and regular tables. They are late night, open and serving until 2 AM, and its rare to find a sushi place that is open that late.

Even more so, it's rare to find a late night sushi place with really good sushi. My girlfriend and I split crab rangoons - I hate crab rangoons. I think fried shells with crab and cream cheese just don't mix. But this place thought of adding sweet chili sauce, which changes everything. We also split a spicy tuna roll, a spicy yellow tail roll, and a third roll that I could name if I looked it up on the website but don't want to take the time. Sorry, look it up yourself. What I can tell you is that it was crab wrapped in cucumber. NOT a California roll, and not a rice or seaweed wrap. The wrap was a thin slice of cucumber, which made the roll so crisp and refreshing. It was excellent - one of the better sushi pieces I have had.

Service was excellent, sushi came out quick, and drinks were quickly refilled. It was a pretty dead time - around 10 or 11 - so that might have made it easier on the server. But still, this was excellent. Highly recommend coming here to anyone.

I'm giving it 5 stars because it is one of the best sushi places I've been to in the tampa area. I don't know if it was the best, but it's certainly up there. Even if it isn't the best, it deserves 4.5 stars and I'm rounding up.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Went to this restaurant for supper with my 2 sisters. We received excellent service from our Server, Steve H. knownledgeable and was able to help us choose our sushi. We had some Dim Sum dumplings, edamame, salmon sashimi, New-York roll, Mexican roll, Caterpillar roll and the Tiger roll. The food was so good, some of the best sushis we've had! and price is very acceptable. Lastly, we had the Tempura cheesecake that came with wild berry sauce and homemade vanilla icecream drizzled in caramel and chocolate sauce. That cheesecake was one of the best (IF NOT THE BEST) cheesecake we've had in our lives! So good, so perfect, and so satisfying. We shared one between the 3 of us, and it was enough.,,.but because im greedy, I want to go back and get one JUST FOR ME!!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stumbled into this place, when the place we wanted to go to was too far, considering traffic and time of day. And boy, were we happy. Alyssa was a great server and the venue is amazing, so unique and eclectic (old theater in Ybor). The food was delicious and I can surely say, some of the best sushi I ever had. Crab rangoon was amazing. Excellent and unexpected dining experience. Also, very acceptable prices, not as steep as you would expect.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I visited Samurai Blue while visiting Tampa overnight. The service was excellent as our server was very knowledgeable. The sushi we had was excellent, some of the best I've ever had. We decided to split an entree and our server brought out two plates with the entree split without us even asking. Excellent service. The location is very unique as well and this place is worth visiting if you like sushi.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Best sushi we've had in Tampa, decent prices, nice atmosphere. Recommend their specialty rolls like blue moon and spontaneous combustion roll.