“The best in Tampa”

Mise En Place Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mise En Place Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 2,430 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Hyde Park Avenue
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Simply put, the best place for sophisticated dining in Tampa. That is all you need to know. This is not a "steak place." It is where you want to go if you want fine dining.

There are newer reviews for Mise En Place Restaurant

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I ate recently at this fine dining establishment. The food was excellent as was the atmosphere. If it was for the couple who could not control their baby next to us, I would have given it an excellent rating. Luckily, after 10 minutes, they left. We sat in the lounge area, the bartender took wonderful care of us. She was polite, attentive, and had a great sense of humor. The food was excellent.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have not been to Mis en Place for a few years. So, since we were in Tampa for business we had to return. The things we liked over the years were still there. Fantastic service, and I mean fantastic, great wine list, and a menu that we could have had one of everything. Food wise, somewhat of a disappointment. Cobb salad with duck confit was nicely presented, but the duck was way over salted. I make a better duck confit at home. Same with their french fries, too much salt. Maybe it is us, we lead a low sodium life style, but fries that good should not be over powered with salt, let them carry themselves.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Staff very good from hostess to servers. The food is well prepared and, mostly, very good. I am wavering between average and very good rating, but have to stick with average. The menu is very complex, so give yourself time to read it. You can tell that the chef is being inventive, but many of the descriptions of a menu item contain descriptions of the technique used for preparation and ingredients you've never heard of (and I eat high-end frequently). Severs know, but really feels to me like trying way too hard to be clever. If you have diet issues (gluten free, low-fat) don't eat here. If you want an adventure, like rich food and are willing to slog through the reading, give it a go.

Lobster mac was fishy tasting, Cheesy grits great, Risotto with pork shoulder - hardly any pork. Squash with chicken bisque very good. Presentation, very nice, but second dishes varied wildly in amount of food so one was more first dish size and another was large entry size. So I would say food quality at out table was uneven.

1  Thank rener60
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This isn't a 'generic' review like many before me.
We wer'e two of a party of six for a 40th Bday dinner. The bar was a great place to start for our group as the two at the helm last Sat. night were excellent.
'First Plates' well received included Sous Vide Lobster and the House -cured Charcuterie plate. My Blue cornmeal crusted Soft Shell Crab in the Saffron Aioli and Mango Chili Jam was very good. Had a great crunch, delicate crab and well balanced flavors.
Our 'Second Plates' Licorice powder rubbed Foie Gras weighed in at about my estimate of a very small ounce, maybe two, probably not. We were both really looking forward to it, but at $16.25 NOT worth it. The Fried Green Tomatoes with a scant Jumbo Lump Crab were poor in comparison to a dive place that comes to mind in Alabama.
On the 'Main Plates', my Porcini Peppercorn Crusted Kobe Strip was WITHOUT proper seasoning, and was wasted with a miniscule and BLAND porcini mushroom base coating. I ordered it medium-rare, the proper temp, that's how it came. However, they really shouldn't be calling their 5oz strip' Kobe '.Its U.S. Wagyu beef, which is a poor descendant of real Japanese 'Tajima' beef from the Kobe prefecture. At a cost of $36.25 on the menu, U.S. Wagyu is overrated for only 4-5 ounces BUT BELIEVE ME, when they waste even good Wagyu without just basic salt and pepper (Which is all Wagyu/Kobe needs and a fast/ hot sear) and a bland porcini base (SEE PHOTO), its a BIG let down, FOR ALL THREE Guys at table who went with the steaks, including the one having a 40th birthday. The Sea Salt mixed potatoes were as advertised, dry, boring.
My wife had the Seared Duck Breast and really enjoyed it with the 'Tamarind Jam'. She said it was a really good accompaniment. One of the girls at the table ordered the Filet of Beef Tenderloin, also in a porcini miniscule glaze that she said really was 'lacking'. Finally, she said her 'Risotto' was really bad. We tasted it too, was like mushy-cardboard.
Both servers were friendly and gave us plenty of time to enjoy the evening with our friends. Their only fault was not checking back within few minutes of entree service, the only plate we sent back was the Filet of Tenderloin due to the bad risotto.
I can think of plenty of great Tampa restaurants I would frequent again, but not this one.