“Not even in the top 10 in Tampa” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mise En Place Restaurant

Mise En Place Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mise En Place Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 2,356 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Hyde Park Avenue
Clearwater, Florida
“Not even in the top 10 in Tampa”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have eaten at the best restaurants in Tampa, and I wouldn't put this one on the list.

First, the restaurant itself is just average -- nothing to make for a great atmosphere. It could use a facelft to feel like something special. I also hate that they jammed 7 people into a table for 6 people despite the fact that we had a reservation and the place was very slow (weeknight).

The menu is pretty diverse, but poorly organized and a tome to read. The descriptions of various ingredients with little else give a poor indication of what to expect when the food actually arrives. Salads and appetizers were about $12 and entrees ran $25 to $45 or so.

Our waiter was quite pretentious and described several items on the menu as "the best in town" and "maybe the best you will ever eat." Among our group we tried all the items recommended this way and we all agreed that was an oversell on each item. The waiter spoke like he knew the Chef personally and he was a tortured soul striving in the kitchen to perfect our dining experience. It was all too much.

A few in our group didn't like the first bottle of wine and asked for some advice on choosing a second. The waiter had to look at the wine list and could then only tell us what he sells the most of. He then decided to check with the sommolier, who couldn't be bothered to come to our table to assist with the purchase of a $60 bottle of wine... Never had that happen at a high end restaurant.

The food was typical of this kind of of place -- small portions, a bit pretentious, but with great presentation. All in all, I didn't find it to be great, and neither did anyone dining at our table. With all the build-up we expected something special and it was pretty average for a restaurant of this caliber.

At about $100 each, I was left with a feeling that there are far better values and better experiences in Tampa. I know that Mise En Place does a nice job of catering, and I know a lot of people like it. I am not sure if we had a bad server and a bad night or if maybe it's losing some of its luster...

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DDGatorFan

“Nothing special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I are both born and raised in Tampa, but somehow never made it to Mise En Place before. We decided to try it for our anniversary, and I'm glad we tried it so we can say we've been, but it will be our last time going there. Our waiter was so snooty and arrogant. I ordered a drink from the menu but I wanted them to just leave out the gin. He argued with me for about 5 minutes that there was no gin in that drink anyway and I should just order it more simply. Finally he figured out he and I were talking about 2 different drinks and that he was thinking of the wrong drink. He also rudely corrected us when we ordered a salad thinking it was an appetizer. The food was good, but not great. At least not great enough to make a special trip back for. I'm glad some people like it, but it's just not for us.

1 Thank Steelefamil Y
McDonough GA
“A Great Dinner - Great Special Occasion Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

The menu is pricey, but the food and service are outstanding. The servers were incredibly friendly and helpful, and we thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the tasting menu.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank burns41
Tampa, Florida
“One of the Best Restaurants in Tampa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I've eaten here a few times now, so I thought I'd finally share what a great restaurant it is. I last ate here about two weeks ago with my husband. As usual, everything was excellent. We started with the cornmeal crusted oysters, oxtail poutine, and fried green tomatoes (always fantastic). For dinner, we had the venison loin and the veal scalloppini. Both were great, but the venison really stood out. For dessert, we had the chocolate pecan toffee mousse and the goat cheese cheesecake. Both desserts were delicious, yet light and refreshing. The service and timing were perfect, and our waiter selected an excellent bottle of red wine for us that paired well with everything. The waitstaff are very knowledgeable and will keep an eye on your table without being obtrusive. I definitely consider Mis En Place to be one of the best restaurants in Tampa, and I'm surprised it does not rate higher on Trip Advisor. Although it's expensive, it's worth every penny. Be sure to make a reservation a few days in advance if you want to eat here on a weekend.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank FSU-Jenny
Louisiana
“mise en FIRST PLACE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

Dodging raindrops, we hurried in to Mise en Place for a late lunch -- fortunately we found Patrick Thompson.
Knowledgeable about food and wine, and a very comfortable person, Patrick is the quintessential waiter. White wine, well-chosen, a salade niçoise that was everything it ought to have been -- it was a perfect lunch, and any restaurant that can turn out a lunch that good is worth another meal.
Patrick then told us that Mise en Place operated the cafe at the Tampa Museum of Art, (which he was managing) where we were headed the next morning. Mimosas and yummy brunch dishes, in a trendy glassy room with a view just off the museum lobby, just what we needed. and,
Patrick also steered us to First Flight, a wine bar at the Tampa Airport that Mise en Place operates. Never thought of a wine bar at an airport, but a little flight of several tastes of wines, and very well prepared duck rillettes and various other hors d'oeuvres: we were airborne almost before we got on the plane.
Tampa has to be very proud of this restaurant which not only has a good chef, but a treasure in Patrick Thompson. check this one out.

• Visited June 2012