“Best Ribs ever!”

Skipper's Smokehouse
Ranked #130 of 2,567 Restaurants in Tampa
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: Now celebrating 34 smokin' years, this venerable Tampa Bay landmark was purchased by three Air Force buddies in 1980 who met while stationed in Alaska and presumably sought to get as far away from the frozen tundra as possible. In the years since, Skipper's has grown from a small smokehouse takeout operation with a casual Sunday jam to a full-service restaurant and much-loved purveyor of world-class music. The architecture is a smorgasbord of "cracker" and islandy-Key West styles with overturned boats, wooden walkways, large murals dot the landscape while artfully rusted walls contain the sounds of revelry. In the Oyster Bar, a vintage moonshine still hangs over the bar while in the dining room, weathered posters tinted by neon lights add varying hues of color and atmosphere.
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I saw this place on Man vs food and just had to try the gator ribs.The place was very rustic, yes that's the word I would use. Service was great,fast and friendly. I was thinking that the ribs would be something you pick up and work to get a little meat off the bone, was I wrong.To my surprise they were at least a couple inches thick. I reached for the bone to pick it up and it just came right out, I tried again and the same. The meat was so tender it feel off the bone, now it was with a fork, I loved every bite. So tender,juicy and the flavor was to die for. I just wish more places had it on the menu. My wife tried the basa fish which was very mild and flaky. Given the chance she would have it again

Reviewed October 24, 2012

First time for gator ribs and boy, I was a happy camper! Tender and good! We also tried the Skipper's platter and the fried gator tail was great too, along with the fish, oysters and killer shrimp. The kids loved the mac n cheese too. The onion rings were great and I really liked the dipping sauce. The only real negative I found was the conch fritters. The conch was a little chewy. Skipper's is a must do if you are in the area. I loved the rustic decor and friendly, casual atmosphere. Leave the coat and tie at home and be prepared to do a little finger licken here! Yum!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This place is definately off of the beaten path. This place has been in business for over 30 years so they have to be doing something right! If you dress up to come here you'll definately stick out. Jeans, flip-flops and a t-shirt is the norm here. The decor is rustic so don't expect any fancy pants napkins or high dollar wine menu. One of the buildings doesn't have air conditioning if that gives you an idea of what to expect. I had the grilled grouper sandwich and it was perfect! The staff was friendly and parking was a breeze.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I really enjoyed the outdoor beachy atmosphere during local concerts here. I mostly got to see blues bands and southern rockers.

1  Thank Edward C
Reviewed September 15, 2012

There is a little bit of everything for everyone here. It's a bar, it's a restaurant, it's a quaint little place for an intimate musical performance, it's an outdoor bandshell for larger bands and drinking and dancing. It's an unusual place with multiple buildings and rooms cobbled together into one large, unpretentious compound. Great acts get booked in there, and fun can be had by all. Try the fried okra and gator bites. Full bar, but plenty of beer.