“One of my favorite places for grouper”
Review of Shells Seafood

Shells Seafood
Ranked #24 of 2,447 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Shells has been serving the Tampa Bay Area Great Casual Seafood for the past 30 years. We search near and far to bring you finest and freshest quality seafood at Dockside prices daily. All of our seafood is prepared fresh to order by our Seafood Experts and served in a casual friendly atmosphere that will impress your family and friends without depressing your wallet. At Shells our motto is what you eat is more important than what you wear!
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I only go for the grouper. Chargrilled is the way to go. Casual atmosphere. Friendly staff. I hear the key lime pie is good, but mine is great, so I don't bother.

Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We happened on Shells Seafood as we didn't know here in Tampa to go for seafood. The staff was friendly and professional. Shells has a good selection of beers and a full bar. The clams were excellent and the crab cakes were some of the best I've had. Lobster was well prepared and very reasonable.

1  Thank Ward W
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

We were on vacation and saw the Shells sign from the road and immediately got excited. Our Shells where we live closed down years ago. We walk in and the host was very friendly, not very knowledgeable with the menu though. Our waiter was Derek he was terrific! Very nice and quick. I was worried since we noticed he had a couple being difficult next to us. Derek didn't change his kind disposition at all. The food was great. They were out of the dish I originally ordered but they adapted another dish for me. The food was great! Next time we are in Tampa we will return!

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We are long-time fans of Shells and still lament the loss of Tallahassee's franchise. Having to be in Tampa overnight on business, the hubby suggested we stop by one of our favorite old haunts. The GPS led us to an unfamiliar location directly on Fowler Avenue in northern Tampa. We were delighted to see that they had relocated from their sketchy off-drag strip mall location nearby to a new, free standing, clean and bright location.

It was a rainy day, and we were just stopping in, after spending an afternoon suffering through Tampa's awful traffic jams, to grab a meal to take to our hotel located next to the interstate. Despite it being a yucky day on a late Friday afternoon, we were greeted by a jovial, friendly staff. After stating we were there for take-out, our hostess led us to the bar where the delightful Maggie waited on us attentively, while also deftly attending to the needs of a nearby regular, as well as demands of fellow staffers. Top notch she is.

Cannot recommend the signature dish, Shells Garlic Shrimp Pasta enough. Loads of fresh shrimp, perfectly cooked, pasta, fresh garlic and wine cream sauce delights the palate. The reasonably priced side salad came with regrettable iceberg lettuce salvaged by big, crisp croutons, a homemade-tasting ranch dressing, freshly grated mixed cheese, and admittedly anemic diced tomato.

Our wish is that Shells continues to thrive and prosper and that it once again is able to expand its franchises. It's really that good.

1  Thank tripree
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We loved Shells when it was in Daytona Beach and were so disappointed when it closed. Our dinners of shrimp and fish were just as good as we expected. The service was friendly and attentive. Due to health precautions, I had to request an alternate side dish instead of coleslaw. The server and the manager went out of their way to be sure I received a delicious, cooked side dish of vegetables. I was very appreciative of their thoughtfulness.