“What a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Edison

Edison
Reserve with OpenTable
Edison is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 2,369 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, International, Grill, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Edison St
Description: Daily flavor experiments and Chef Pierola's witty interpretations of everyday food are expertly engineered into current, modern cuisine at edison. Hip wines, interesting brews, and tantalizing cocktails. Relaxed atmosphere with energetic vibe.
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stumbled upon Edison a few weeks ago and I have been hooked ever since. Each visit I try a new dish and I have not been disappointed. Great atmosphere and a very cool vibe. The shrimp and grits are my absolute favorite and I can not wait to return!

“Best food in the United States”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Don't let the fact that this restaurant is in Tampa, Florida throw you... Our lunch today ranks among the best meals and experiences in restaurant dining we have had in the last 10 years thruout the U.S. The food looks great and more important tastes great...fun wine list( no liquor) ... Can't wait to go for dinner !

“Won't be Returning”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We made an 8:30 reservation. When we arrived, we were told they were "running no more than 10-15 minutes behind." Well, this wasn't true because we weren't seated until 9:15. The bar was full, and there's no real waiting area, so we were crowded into a tiny space for those 45 minutes. While waiting, we observed three other groups of people become angry about their wait times (which were even longer than our 45-minute wait). One of those groups left. Two other departing groups of people warned us that the food took a really long time to be served. Just as we decided to give up, our table became ready, so we decided to give it a chance. It took another 15 minutes to place our orders. We ordered the potato-crusted oysters and two chicken and waffle entrees, which our waitress described as one of the restaurant's "signature" dishes. A few minutes after placing our order, our waitress informed us that they were out of the chicken and waffles. This was the last straw for me, as we had specifically come there to order that dish. I would have left if we hadn't already ordered the oysters. Instead, my husband ordered the scallops, and I ordered the "baconless" clam chowder and a fried green tomato salad. (Not sure why it's called "baconless" instead of simply "clam chowder." To sound pretentious, I suppose.) The oysters were very good, but not worth $16. The scallops were great, but also not worth the money. (The scallops at Pane Rustica are just as good for $8 less.) My clam chowder was not hot; it was lukewarm, at best, and at $12 for a small cup, it was a disappointment. I also wasn't offered any fresh pepper, even though the table next to us was offered it for their soups. My fried green tomato salad was odd, and one of the "green" tomatoes was actually a ripe, red tomato (must have been an error). We skipped dessert because we just wanted out. The bill for two people was $85 (which included only one drink), and we were still hungry when we left because the portions are very small. Overall, the service was poor, the food was average, and the prices are ridiculous. We definitely won't be returning.

• Visited March 2013
“An Innovated Creation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The scene pops the minute you walk in. It is a combination of urban, inviting, upscale yet casual and festive all at the same time.It was fairly busy when we walked in so it was quite loud which is very ok with me. For others the noise level may be a distraction.The staff was prompt, attentive and knowledgeable. Everything on the menu sounds interesting and really good. That makes it tough to choose because I want it all!! I am excited about what I am reading and about to taste.

We ordered the Ramey chardonnay at $33 for a flask. This was the least expensive wine on the night we visited. We started with the grilled maitake salad offered for $11.00. It was a delicious creative blend of lettuces, cabrales, medjool dates, marcona almonds tossed with a white truffle vinaigrette. It was so tasty that I wished I was not sharing! Next the waiter suggested the bass wrapped in crab with an assortment of veggies all resting in a flavorful curried coconut broth for $32.00. The broth and veggies were incredible. They were the star of the entree. They gave me such a flavor sensation.While the veggies took on the flavor of the broth the fish did not. I felt like the bass did not belong there. It was misplaced. The fish was moist yet lacked flavor. What was strange too is that the crab was a bit tasteless as well. My dinner guest felt the same. The second entree ordered was the buttermilk fried organic chicken resting on a butternut squash waffle with corn butter, chanterelle squash fricassée and truffle honey for $22.00. A standard menu item.The fricassee and truffle honey were heavenly. The chicken started out moist and totally absorbed the sauce. As we reached the larger thicker pieces of the chicken the meat became dry. It was over cooked. So the finish was a disappointment. Each entree was perfect in size. Not skimpy or overwhelming. Did not try desserts. They all sounded wonderful.

I struggled with giving Edison an average or above average review. I went with the average because I was expecting to be wowed due to the reputation of Jeanne and all the raving reviews in the newspaper. As you see from my review, the entrees were both lacking in some way. With that said we will return and look forward to trying other menu items.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank susant771
“Trendy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This place has a famous local chef with innovative cuisine. The open atmosphere is nice in concept but you can't even hear the person sitting next to you because of the noise. The filet is prepared beautifully as well as the chicken and waffles. I don't think we will return though.

Been to Edison? Share your experiences!