“An Innovated Creation”
Review of Edison

Reserve with OpenTable
Edison is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 2,505 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, International, Gastropub, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Edison St
Description: Daily flavor experiments and Chef Pierola's witty interpretations of everyday food are expertly engineered into current, modern cuisine at edison. Hip wines, interesting brews, and tantalizing cocktails. Relaxed atmosphere with energetic vibe.
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The scene pops the minute you walk in. It is a combination of urban, inviting, upscale yet casual and festive all at the same time.It was fairly busy when we walked in so it was quite loud which is very ok with me. For others the noise level may be a distraction.The staff was prompt, attentive and knowledgeable. Everything on the menu sounds interesting and really good. That makes it tough to choose because I want it all!! I am excited about what I am reading and about to taste.

We ordered the Ramey chardonnay at $33 for a flask. This was the least expensive wine on the night we visited. We started with the grilled maitake salad offered for $11.00. It was a delicious creative blend of lettuces, cabrales, medjool dates, marcona almonds tossed with a white truffle vinaigrette. It was so tasty that I wished I was not sharing! Next the waiter suggested the bass wrapped in crab with an assortment of veggies all resting in a flavorful curried coconut broth for $32.00. The broth and veggies were incredible. They were the star of the entree. They gave me such a flavor sensation.While the veggies took on the flavor of the broth the fish did not. I felt like the bass did not belong there. It was misplaced. The fish was moist yet lacked flavor. What was strange too is that the crab was a bit tasteless as well. My dinner guest felt the same. The second entree ordered was the buttermilk fried organic chicken resting on a butternut squash waffle with corn butter, chanterelle squash fricassée and truffle honey for $22.00. A standard menu item.The fricassee and truffle honey were heavenly. The chicken started out moist and totally absorbed the sauce. As we reached the larger thicker pieces of the chicken the meat became dry. It was over cooked. So the finish was a disappointment. Each entree was perfect in size. Not skimpy or overwhelming. Did not try desserts. They all sounded wonderful.

I struggled with giving Edison an average or above average review. I went with the average because I was expecting to be wowed due to the reputation of Jeanne and all the raving reviews in the newspaper. As you see from my review, the entrees were both lacking in some way. With that said we will return and look forward to trying other menu items.

1  Thank susant771

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This place has a famous local chef with innovative cuisine. The open atmosphere is nice in concept but you can't even hear the person sitting next to you because of the noise. The filet is prepared beautifully as well as the chicken and waffles. I don't think we will return though.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was looking forward to eating at Edison after reading gushing reviews in the Tampa Tribune and the Tampa Bay Times, which proclaimed Small Prices and Big Tastes. Despite the claim of reasonable prices by the Times, my good friend who had eaten there said it was expensive…at lunch. What a conundrum.

Four of us arrive for our 6pm reservation and valet park the car. Which seems to be a good idea in this neighborhood. I tried for a 7pm reservation, but was told that it wasn’t available. It’s Friday night, so they have a right to try to flip the tables.

The building seems to have an authentic Art Deco exterior and a spare, trendy interior. No tablecloths. Lots of light bulbs with interesting filaments. The bar is packed and the two tv’s aren’t showing sports but cooking shows. Novel. But at six, the restaurant area was less than half full.

The menu is a simple piece of paper that may be produced daily. I’m likin’ that part. But, the Victuals (“I kid you not”, as Jack Paar used to say) are divided into Sparks, Cold Start, Hot Start, Soluble or Solid, and Large Format. How precious is that? Anyway, there’s a lot to choose from; 23 things which you might think of as a starter. And lots of them sound really good. There are about a dozen main courses. This could take a while to decide. Some of us want to share, but one of us doesn’t.

We get the wine list. They have no liquor license yet, so it’s beer and wine. The wine list has no cost-effective selections. This is very disappointing. We have to order Ramey chardonnay at $33 for a flask (roughly 3/5 of a bottle) and it’s not the most expensive of about three chardonnays. Since three of us are drinking this we end up ordering two rounds. One of us has Dr Loosen Riesling at $9 a glass.

We decide to order a bunch of what I’ll call starters. I’m a sucker for roasted bone marrow ($9) so that’s what I order. Usually I have to dig this stuff out with a marrow spoon (yes, there are such things), but not here. I get a giant sliced bone stuffed with breaded marrow on a plate with arugula salad and ratatouille marmalade. Slather it on grilled ciabatta bread and you’ve got something special. Great presentation, too.

We also have conch and bacon fritters ($7). These are on the dry side and there’s not enough bacon to make it tasty. Duck confit (I feel like Homer Simpson drooling at the mention of this) and foie gras tacos ($15) are, unfortunately, disappointing. A red chili sauce and tomatillo salsa cancel any option of tasting duck or foie gras. Could be pulled pork or even hamburger. And the tacos seemed like they came out of a supermarket.

Crispy pork belly ($10) is another one of my favorite things to order, but it’s only because I’m a health nut. Have I gone to heaven? No, Joey, you’ve ended up in the other place. Because while there’s a lot of it, it’s mostly overcooked and dry. The black beans on the plate make for a poor presentation.

Our non-sharer has pickled jumbo shrimp ($11) which he devours in three shakes of a lambs tail and pronounces “very good” while smiling.

Our waiter is very attentive. And very knowledgeable about the dishes. He’s also very pushy about wanting us to order main courses. Moving us along. Meanwhile, I’m thinking, but not saying “dude, someone made us come at 6pm and now we’ll take our time and keep the table for a couple of hours.”

Instead of ordering entrees (much to the consternation of our waiter) we decide to order a couple of more starters. First are potato crusted oysters ($16). A bunch of them are very nicely presented on shells on a tray for all of us to enjoy. They are delicious! We should have ordered two of these.

We also ordered a fried green tomato salad ($9). The order got lost in the kitchen or never put in. Who knows? Our waiter suggested a rationale that seemed made up on the spot. It eventually arrived and consisted of two (count ‘em) tomatoes and salad. Do not order this.

As the evening went on the room filled up. And became very noisy. Very Noisy. Sound dampening doesn’t seem to be the trendy thing to do. If you fancy yourself a part of the “see and be seen” crowd you might want to check this out. If you’re part of the “good food at reasonable prices” crowd you should try lunch. Chalk up 1 for my friend Mary and 0 for the Tribune and Times.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I cannot wait to go back to Edison Food lab! As a native Floridian and avid fisherman I am extremely picky about fish. When I saw Corn Flake Crusted Hog Fish on the menu I asked the server if it was outstanding, or if I should stick with a steak. She told me they had the best fish in Tampa, and boy was she right!
My wife and I split the escargot for an appetizer - I highly recomend starting with this. It is just as good as any escargot I've had in Paris.
The hog fish, as you may expect from the title of my review, was nothing less than superb.
My wife had the steak, which was unimpressive. Not to say it wasn't good, but it certainly wasn't any better than we make at home.
This is a great place to eat in Tampa with a wonderful innovative chef. It is a perfect get away from the chains. Go there and get something interesting that the chef has created.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our reservations were for 8:30 we were seated at 9:15 so off the bat it was a bad start. Almost every thing we ate was so infused and over saturated with salt that they became unbearable to eat. The name says Drink Lab they offer no liquor and a wine list that is comprised of 23 options a whopping 4 of them were Cabernet's which we really tend to enjoy just not at this place, its very sub par for a "Drink Lab". Our server Ashley was nice but completely clueless when it came to the menu and the wine. The food presentation is unique but that can only get you so far. Holding a conversation is nearly impossible because you will not be able to hear the person sitting directly across the table from you. We were a party of 5 we ordered 6 appetizers and 5 entrees not a single person was satisfied with their food and aside from the pork belly no other appetizers were appetizing. Tampa has many excellent food options and this just isn't one of them completely ruined our Saturday night.