Floridan Palace Hotel
$209
$199
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay(Tampa)
$159
$178
$136
$85
$72
$142
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
All reviewssapphire loungedowntown tampacrystal dining roomhistorical hotelcorner roomgrilled octopusmodern amenitiesmarble floorsroom was largeconvention centermattressesstrazironarena
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was one of Pricelines "Express Hotel" deals, which of course we didn't have much say in. We spent one night here, prior to a cruise from Tampa. I must say our first impression was not a good one. The hotel is in a "sleazy" part of downtown Tampa. We were quite concerned regarding our vehicle, as the parking is about a block from the hotel in an open lot. No fence, etc, but we were assured it was patrolled, however, we noticed no one the two or three times we went to our vehicle. We had reserved a "King" room. This hotel was apparently "upscale" during in it's earlier day that date from the early to mid 1900's. The first hint of things being beautiful was the hotel lobby itself. It is supposedly decorated in the original chandeliers, and decor that was removed prior to the remodeling in 2010 (?). It was very nice.

Our room was elegant with period style decor. Very large room and nicely tile bath. However, the AC did not work in our room, and the only other room was a twin room, which of course we had to accept. We found the staff to be helpful and very professional, and willing to accommodate us due to the bad AC.

One disappointment was when we looked out the window of both rooms. The view was that of abandoned buildings in a downtown area, where blight had obviously taken over. It obviously had been this way for awhile since one of the abandoned buildings was a "Kress" department store. We also saw several "unfortunate" folks camping out in various alcoves of these buildings. Not a pretty sight.

The room had a flat screen TV, but could not really get the cable or dish whatever it is to work. The other amenities were standard in any hotel. One BIG grip for us is that this hotel does not offer coffee in the rooms. If you wanted coffee in the morning you had to take a very slow elevator to the lobby and get your coffee there. Is this not the 21st Century? Why no coffee makers in the rooms?

We ate dinner at the adjacent restaurant. The food was very good, and service was good. There were not that many folks eating there, as the restaurant was an extension of the lobby, and there was apparently a huge wedding going on in one of the reception rooms with overflow into the lobby. Prices in the restaurant were mid range, with good value for your money.

Overall this a a very beautiful, historic hotel, but it's location leaves a lot to be desired. Parking my vehicle in an open lot was a major issue for me. The least that could be done was to put a fence around this place. Priceline rated this hotel in the same category of a Hilton or Marriott. I really cannot agree with this, and consider this hotel to be very over priced. Outside of the beauty and nostalgia associated with this hotel, I cannot recommend it and will not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron R
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I cannot believe the experience I've had here. I was in town for a workshop and stayed here. First off the initial view is very beautiful inside the foyer. After you are finished enjoying the visual get ready for the worst service and non existent amenities. No ice or snack machine. The staff are very uninvolved with customers and seem to be impatient and aggravated at the slightest mention of a question. All I asked was could I have the information for the wifi access. The employee was very short. I stayed for several days and not once was I greeted with a simple hello. One of the guys who brought my room service meal was pleasant but other than that I can't tell if the front desk and valet staff are racist, prejudice, or just indifferent. This hotel should be avoided unless u just want to sleep in a clean room on a very very firm bed. This hotel is just very odd and spooky. My neighbors were very sexually rambunctious and I had very early mornings for my workshop, 6am, and I asked to be moved bc they failed to asked them to lower the noise. They actually turned their TV up and the sexual noises elevated. They told me they didn't have a vacant room. 19 floors and all your rooms are full. ....Liars. Needless to say I got 2.5 hours of sleep. I wanted to just get a refund for my last day and sleep in my damn car. The food caters to certain people. It wasn't good.read reviews before u stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank wimknf
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Beautiful lobby. King corner room was quite large but had a damp musty smell. Trash can had an empty water bottle in it. Bring your own toiletries, ones they have are pretty lame.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Colorado4249
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I was staying here with a group for an event being held in the hotel. The convenience was wonderful, but this hotel needs to step up their game, especially for the prices they are charging. For approximately $200 a night, I would expect quite a few more amenities (including more towels) and better service from the staff. In their defense, I do believe the hotel is well understaffed. A few more employees, especially during the busy season, or perhaps a lower rate would make it more palatable. Also, access to an ice machine on some of the floors would be helpful. Going down to the bar with your ice bucket gets a bit old.
On a positive note, the event we attended, with approximately 300 people, was outstanding. Their ballroom is beautiful, the food was delicious and being able to head down to the Sapphire Lounge afterwards was an added plus. Downtown Tampa is heading in the right direction and with a little help the Floridan Palace will be a jewel in the downtown crown.

Room Tip: Be ready for street noise, no matter which room you are in. Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank IwantoliveinEurope
Reviewed March 10, 2014

First time I've stayed at a hotel where had to go to the down stairs bar for bucket of ice. I stayed on the 19th floor, you know the rest. Owners seem money hungry and seemed to not care for any hospitality .

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends