“Great Renovation and Nice Lounge”

Floridan Palace Hotel
Ranked #104 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Growing up in Tampa I remember the Floridan as a rundown abandoned building with broken windows. Recently, I had the opportunity to walk inside the Floridan in it's newly renovated state and it is absolutely amazing! The hotel looks as new as it probably did when it first opened early in the 20th century. Most of the original appointments are still intact including the old letter box at the bottom floor, the ceilings, and appears like the elevators are the originals, and much of the furniture is dedicated towards the period. The Sapphire lounge is a cozy place to enjoy a drink and they have a live piano player who plays music from the hotel's heyday, and he is also very accommodating with requests. I think they would be able to attract a better crowd if they had a bit more marketing; seems to me they could attract a wider audience with all they have to offer.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 21, 2013

We recently tried to do a small company "after hours" outing to their infamous Sapphire Lounge...only to find out once we got there that the lounge is closed during the week!

It was like a ghost town! The people we encountered didn't seem to care about customer service...the front desk guy was barely able to get out a "how are you tonight?, the bartender never said there was a happy hour with special pricing (which would have been great since their drinks are $13 a pop), and he didn't seem to be in any hurry to service our group. They definitely weren't busy and the reason is probably because the staff doesn't seem to have a sense of urgency to welcome in guests.

This place is so beautiful and could be a gold mine if they ran it better.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PSL123456
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This place is just a joke.
The menu? Uninspiring.
The Lounge and bar? Over priced beverages served up by unattentive bartenders.
The overall feeling? Overwhelmingly unwelcomed from the moment I walked inside.

Not sure what the rooms look like but as far as the service from the bar and restaurant is concerned I really don't see how they can be anything but mediocre. I hate saying this because I really wanted it to be great, but it just isn't. Sorry

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Chefnosaj
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Having lived in Downtown Tampa for the better part of five years I watched this hotel renovate from my balcony. Slow but sure in those years it began to evolve. I remember walking by thinking I would walk inside someday to check out the beautiful chandeliers visible from the street. Having married recently and relocated to NC I frequently need to return for business and I finally got my chance. The staff was very kind, however, not consistent with management. I had read the reviews stating the bedding was hard but saw in responses to the reviews from management that mattress pads were available. This was not the case. No bueno! The room was clean and quiet for my location facing north. I know the sound of the trains all too well and was glad to be pointed in the opposite direction. I have to say what made the stay ok was the fact that I got the room thru Priceline for $125 otherwise the incomplete feeling would have left me feeling duped. I think transparency would benefit this hotel greatly with the poor reviews. First start by telling people you are still a work in progress this might explain lack of bedding, pictures, coffee makers, splotchy finish work at best, etc...then state a reduced price of $125 consistently until you are up to par. The night I stayed here the front desk said there were about 50 rooms taken but I would guess less. The hotel is not fully operational with all rooms. The cable was pretty limited unless you like to buy things, speak Spanish, are a hard core Christian, or think public access is the bomb! The beds...well my husband likes a hard bed but I do not although he has stronger abs. There were huge neck wrenching pillows but some newer ones were smaller maybe in response to negative reviews. The location is great albeit there is not much action but that's downtown Tampa for you. It's slowly coming back too and for those who don't know it is close to the city center unless you are lazy as hell because it's only a 5 minute walk or less to "the center" which might be considered Lykes Park.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed while attending a conference, easy 14 minute walk through a safe and pleasant area.
Very nice hotel, it was good value, rooms were nice and enjoyed my stay. It is recently re-open and is splendid and clean. The staff seem like they are getting up to speed and were helpful. Stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed there on vacation from Ontario. We were looking for something central, somewhere between a good beach and the concert we were seeing at the Florida State fairgrounds, so we booked through Hotwire trying to save some money.
The hotel is absolutely beautiful, clean, and well-maintained, but the appeal stops there. If you are looking for lush amenities, don't stay there. The beds are literally rock solid, and the pillows are so massive your neck is craned at an unnatural angle. We requested a mattress pad that helped a little, but we ended up going to K-Mart to buy our own pillows!
The room doesn't have much else to offer, no coffee maker, and the cable channels are mediocre at best, without the option to purchase movies.
If you're looking for historic charm, you will absolutely find it at the Floridian, but besides that the place doesn't have much else to offer.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Our first visit by locals to hotel and restaurant. Fabulous restoration and very capable, friendly staff, fully versed in the history of the hotel. Dinner meal was fine with good selections and atmosphere splendid. Imagine - a restaurant where you can actually hear and carry on a conversation without noise that so dominates dining in many places. Near performing arts center. Try it!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple