“Great Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #100 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Tampa
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel, but had a birthday dinner in the restaurant. The main dining area is absolutely stunning. The food is as good as any place in Tampa. We had fish stuffed with crab and steak marsala. Both were amazing. The service was very good and the prices are reasonable. This is our fourth trip there and each has been spectacular. Definitely, a hidden gem in Tampa.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank G2services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

So I booked a room at the Floridan on Hotwire for around $150 per night. I was staying there for the Florida Bar Exam, when the entire area is packed and hotels are expensive, so I was happy with the price. After reading all of the reviews, I had pretty low expectations - but the hotel was a lot better than I expected. The room was big and clean and the staff was very accommodating. Likes: (1) they give you shampoo/bath products that smell good and are organic; (2) they offer room service (but you have to get a menu from the front desk); (3) free parking in the lot next door; (4) free coffee and breakfast pastries in the morning (they should advertise this because it semi makes up for not having coffee pots in the rooms); (5) the room was big; (6) its a quiet, peaceful place and the people working there were always really nice and helpful.
Dislikes: (1) the shower takes a minute to heat up in the morning, I usually left it running for 5 minutes before I got in; (2) other than PBS and ABC there isn't much to watch on TV; (3) they give you a soft blanket but no fluffy comforter for the bed (I didn't mind because I had brought my own comforter from home).
Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cheechburger
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The renovation of this hotel is exquisite! The rooms are large, the people are friendly and the food is excellent. Unfortunately it has a strangely deserted feel to it. There did not seem to be many people actually staying in the hotel while we were there over a weekend in July, but hopefully that will change. This place is great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I love old hotels and being a former resident of Tampa I've always wanted to check this one out but it was always closed. When I found out it had been restored and was open again some friends and I had to stay here. My room was large and super clean. I had a corner room with lots of windows and a nice view of the city. The lobby bar and piano bar were both very good places to hang out. The staff was friendly, the room I had was quiet and had a comfortable bed, which is sometimes hard to find with older buildings. The trolley to Ybor and Channelside was a few blocks away and ran every 20 minutes. We did not eat at the restaurant though because we were down in Ybor most of the day and although I have family in Tampa that I visit often, I think I'll be staying here rather than their place!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and have a lot of windows which I like, and higher floors have a great view...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I haven't stayed at the hotel, but I did host a luncheon for my daughter's graduation here on June 1. I called a couple of weeks before the event for reservations. I talked with Kim and she couldn't have been more helpful. On the day of the event, we arrived and the small dining room was prepared and waiting for us. I had narrowed the menu selections to five entrees for ease of ordering and preparation. I couldn't have been more pleased with the results. Everyone's food was hot and delicious or cool and refreshing (there were salad choices too). I had the grouper and I can vouch for how tasty it was. I was able to order a speciality cake and bring it in for dessert as well. Our wait staff of Todd and Debra were exceptional and catered to our every need. In addition, I didn't have sticker shock at the end of the meal. I look forward to visiting the restaurant again and hopefully spend a night or two in their fabulous hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank IwantoliveinEurope
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I am an attorney, regularly in Tampa and neither me nor my colleagues knew this hotel existed right next to the courthouse. Same money or less than other places downtown, much better. Everything about it is fantastic WITH 2 exceptions. There is no business center. There is one computer available but no printer. Second there is no breakfast and I did not see a coffee maker in my room. Lunch and dinner served, restaurant has live piano player. Helpful tip: check Orbitz and others for rates, call hotel and it will match. They also have 2 types of suites that are not advertised, you must call hotel. I now stay there every time I go to Tampa.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Joe65Fal
FloridanPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Floridan Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Floridan Palace Hotel! We are happy that you and your colleagues were able to stay with us! With being conveniently located across the street from the Federal Courthouse, we had been able to be of service to many guests working there. We are even able to accommodate smaller groups going to the courthouse with providing a meeting space to work in. We apologize for the inconvenience of not having a full service business center set up at this time. We have tried to be accommodating by printing from the front desk for our guests. At this time we do not serve breakfast from our dining room, but with feedback from our guests we are looking at other options in the future, which is the same with coffee makers. We are currently offering complimentary coffee in the lobby during the morning and we can also serve it to our guests rooms upon request. We will also look into the listing of our room types online since we are only very recently listed on these sites. We appreciate your feedback and love that you will continue to stay with us when you are in Tampa! I would also recommend calling us directly to see if we may set up a corporate rate for you since you visit regularly. We have only been re-opened for nine months now and truly appreciate any guest feedback, so we may continue to improve in reviving this historic gem in downtown Tampa. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again!
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Back in March I visited Downtown Tampa for the Florida Thespian Festival. We had booked 20 rooms back in the end of 2012 but 2 days before check-in we were informed that they over booked the hotel... by 20 rooms. So the hotel told us they would find us another hotel to stay at and the hotel we were given was the Floridan. Already exhausted and upset from the ordeal with the other hotel we were afraid of what we had been stuck with. When searching online for reviews we were met with not so positive reactions. Suffice to say that we were fearing the worst but hey at least we had a place to stay.

The day for our trip comes and when we get there to check in we see that the hotel is not bad looking at all. The lobby is beautiful and they play 50s music to give you a feel of its heyday (it was a famous hotel and closed and was recently reopened and renovated).

My only real complaint of the hotel would be the lack of amenities for the price that you pay. There is no vending machines, no ice machine, no microwaves, and no room service, for $200 a night I would have expected a bit more when compared to other hotels in the area. I will say that the rooms are nice and spacious though. The beds were a bit hard but I slept just fine.

In the end we were happy with what we got given the situation and I honestly wouldn't be devastated if we ended up there again. Its a great hotel, it just needs a little more work done before its ready for today's picky traveler.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alexis B
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your group stay! During large conventions in Tampa where most hotels are sold out, there can be unexpected situations that require guests to be moved and while we understand that can put guests in inconvenient positions, we were thrilled that we had the opportunity to accommodate your group. We appreciate the positive feedback you had for us. We do apologize you felt the amenities we offer are lacking. Since we are a historic hotel, they were not able to put ice machines on the guests floors, so when a guest needs ice all they need to do is call the front desk and ice will be brought up for them. Additionally we do offer room service and I deeply apologize you were not aware of this. We truly appreciate your feedback and were very happy with all our Thespian groups. We look forward to the Thespian Festival again next year and would be more than happy to have your group with us again! Thank you!