“Couldn't be more pleased”

Aguila Sandwich Shop
Ranked #240 of 2,384 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Latin, Cuban, Caribbean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: This place was featured on a Food Network show
Columbia, Illinois
“Couldn't be more pleased”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Wow. Saw it on the food channel and told my wife we had to go while visiting her family in Dunedin. Glad we did. We went just before lunch time on a weekday and sat right down.

The twist with the hawaiin style bread on the Media Noche (cuban-style) sandwich was absolutely to die for. I had about 4 cuban sandwiches when we were in Florida for the week and insisted that we go back for a second time before our flight out. Washing the sandwich down with a mango shake was certainly the right choice.

SERVICE - just as good as the food. My 2 year old was a little crabby from the long days we had. Not a problem, our waitress and a gentleman serving some other tables quickly flipped that around and my son had a blast with them!!!

I feel that everyone we watched come in the door either sat down at a table for 5 minutes talking to the patrons or hugged the staff before ordering their food. I can't say enough about the atmosphere of this joint. Is it bad that I'm wanting to pay $175 for lunch (flight + sandwich)? All kidding aside, this place is worth a 20 minute drive if you're in the area.

• Visited September 2012

Tampa Bay Florida
“Small Place with Mighty Taste”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

A friend flew in from L.A. and said we needed to have a Cuban Sandwich at the Aguila Sandwich Shop on Hillsborough (not far from TIA). Easy to find with plenty of parking we stopped for lunch as were not disappointed. The menu featured breakfast, sandwiches, soups & salads. The owner, Mario, suggest splitting a Cuban and a Media Noche. Both were fantastic but the second one was most memorable. The patrons were super friendly and one, Rosie, gave us the low down on all the great taste treats especially the coffee. The restaurant was featured on "Man vs. Food" - need I saw more. Mario - we are coming back soon.

• Visited October 2012
Roswell, GA
“Like Family and yummy food!!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We decided to take a detour on our way back to Atlanta to eat at this place after seeing it on The Food Channel's show "America's Best Sandwich", nominated for their "Medianoche". We were not disappointed!!! We walked in and the place was full, we were lucky to grab a table that had just been vacated. It is a small place with perhaps 12 or 15 tables. It was full of families and couples, young and old and some locals who were Latino, which tells me that the food is the real deal!!! The owners were sooo....friendly and took our order promptly. There was a family that had traveled from the Midwest to eat there at the table next to us. I grew up in Miami, and this place felt like home!! Back to the food....we both had a Medianoche, which was really, really good!! There is only one place in Atlanta that we have found Medianoche, and, in our opinion, Aguila's was more flavorful. We also wanted to try their Cuban, but, there was no way to eat all of that at one meal, so, we had them make us one, but not press it so that we could take it home with us to Atlanta for lunch the next day. (We happened to have bought one of those mini-fridges that plugs into your car for this trip. We had also carried a couple of gallon Ziploc for just-in-case) Well, when we unwrapped the Cuban for lunch the next day, we were impressed with how huge it was!!! I had trouble finishing my half! There were a number of other Cuban dishes on their menu that I would have loved to try and definitely will if we get the chance to be back in the Tampa area. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, their prices are really reasonable! I highly recommend you give this place a try, even if you have to go a bit out of your way!!!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank carybenn53

Been to Aguila Sandwich Shop? Share your experiences!