“Great location and nice room”

Renaissance Tampa International Plaza Hotel
Ranked #8 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a nice hotel, and my room was well appointed, clean and comfortable. Still a fairly standard room for a hotel in this price range. The king bed was really appreciated. While some rooms probably have nice views, mine looked at the parking desk. Service was good.

What made this hotel more than average was the fabulous restaurant! Lots of choices nearby, but the dinner and buffet breakfast were unusually wonderful for hotel food.

Location is also excellent. Next to a shopping center with great restaurants, and very near the airport and the stadiums. A great hotel choice for shoppers and sports fans.

Turned out my night coincided with the Tampa Bay/Carolina Panthers game. Believe the Panthers were also in residence for the night. Increased security and players signing autographs made for an unique experience. Later, as the fans returned, it also made for some noise after the game.

A very good option.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

This property has partnered with the Candy Hall of Fame for many years. The Renaissance team bends over backwards to make sure everything is perfect. We were housed in an Access Room as it had a King Size bed. Spanish style decor and ambiance make this hotel special. The LaFuente Courtyard is the perfect spot for a function that encourages mingling. The banquet facility was large enough to COMFORTABLY accommodate nearly 400 guests for the Candy Hall of Fame inductions. The food was good and I'll leave it at that as I'm not a fan of braised short ribs. Another highlight is the in house restaurant, Pelagia, which is above average. The International Mall adjoins the property offering world class shopping and dining options. If you're flying to Tampa and are not renting a car the hotel will have their shuttle arrive pretty darn quick. Believe me, this place is great!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Big room, super convenient location only minutes to the airport and within walking distance to dining and shopping. The hotel is strangely very quiet given the proximity to the airport.The staff was very friendly and polite.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Very nice hotel in great location. Connected to International Mall and outdoor plaza with ~20 or so restaurants and bars. 5 min from Tampa airport.
Very nice rooms, great service and friendly staff. At times parking could be a challenge due to popularity of mall and restaurants, but that just means a 2 minute walk. Well worth the effort as a very nice hotel and very close to Tampa attractions.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I originally booked a room at the Marriott Waterside and stayed there one night. Unfortunately, I had a terrible allergic reaction. I have never had a better response by the staff. When I asked if I could check out early, not only did they allow me to do this, they deducted any charges for my one night there. This left me in Tampa with no reservations and concern about the possibilities. I stopped by the Renaissance and explained my predicament to the manager at the front desk. Without skipping a beat, he created a key card and invited me to check out a room! I discovered a beautiful room without any unpleasant issues. I eagerly signed in. Not only was the hotel wonderful, the staff was terrific! The bellman was eager to help me find a place for supper. He suggested the Cheesecake Factory and showed me how to get to the plaza (a walk down the hall - that's it!). what a lovely choice of restaurants and shops. Beautiful music and lights. After a delightful meal, I made my way back to my hotel room. Once inside, I was greeted with a tray of organic teas and snacks. The manager had left me a note hoping that I was feeling better and to contact him if I needed anything. Needless to say, I awoke refreshed and happy. I had purchased the free breakfast and enjoyed a breakfast of fresh fruit (super fresh and delish) and the best omelette I have ever had. This is now my go-to hotel in Tampa. I have traveled all over the world at some of the finest hotels there are. This hotel is right up there with the best of the best.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed for three nights to attend a conference being held at the hotel. It's close to the airport (free shuttles run every 30 minutes) and sits aside a large mall. If you don't shop, the outer edge of the mall has a wide selection of restaurants and bars, so you never have to leave the general complex. The room was fine, although the work area was a little small. The room was cleaned at an appropriate time and the overall condition of the room was both well decorated and clean. The food at the meeting was very good for a business meeting and the staff seemed genuinely intent on keeping everyone happy. I never made it to downtown Tampa, but still had great meals at the Cheesecake Factory, Capital Grille and the English Pub next to the hotel. I had no problem, but several of the meeting attendees had trouble checking in as their rooms weren't ready till 4pm.

Room Tip: Don't expect to check in early.
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while on a business trip.

I was allowed to check in early, which is always a nice bonus. I was given a room on the 7th floor, which is one of the concierge floors since I have Gold status with Marriott.

The room was a good size and nicely decorated. There was a beautiful numbered framed photo in the bathroom (not the typical cheap print that you see in many hotels). There was a safe in the closet, along with the robe. There was also a refrigerator and coffee maker. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a good size and stocked with lots of Aveda bath products (including their wonderful shower gel). The only tiny negative to the room was that the desk chair was upholstered and the arms were worn down and threadbare.

The fitness center is located right off the lobby and is open 24/7. There were 4 ellipticals, 2 bikes, numerous treadmills, and lots of weight equipment. There were also lots of towels, earbuds, water, and sanitizing wipes. The elliptical that I used was in great working condition. I had a chance to use the pool for laps one morning. It's nice that the pool opens at 6:00 a.m. for the business traveler. The pool is a very decent size, and even though the hotel is located in a mall complex, the pool felt like an oasis. There were lots of palm trees and other lovely plants. There is also a very large jacuzzi that I enjoyed using after the swim. There is a outdoor shower for rinsing off, too.

I only was able to use the concierge breakfast (on the 8th floor) on one morning. It was very well stocked with juices and water, along with such treats as bagels and lox. There were several hot items, too, including scrambled eggs (which were delicious) and sausage.

The hotel is very convenient to numerous restaurants in the adjacent mall. Of course, it is also less than a 10 minute drive to the airport. They provide an airport shuttle, but the cab fare is only $15 and they will call a cab for you if you can't wait around for the shuttle.

All in all, this is the perfect hotel for a business traveler in Tampa.